To plug in, or not plug in

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Just read this car review and they are on about leaving the hybrid plugged in??

We have both types of recharging but I have read bad things about the more rapid charging.

At present we only charge the battery when the range drops below approximately 6 miles. Is this the way to go, or is it okay to do what the author suggests and plug the car in after every journey?

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Oh, and keep it plugged in whenever you’re at home (and work, if you can). Not much point otherwise.

From what I have read this is bad advice. To achieve maximum battery life I believe that one shouldn't charge above c. 85% or let the charge fall below c. 15%, unless of course you need a full charge.

NJSS

OP
kotecki

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From what I have read this is bad advice. To achieve maximum battery life I believe that one shouldn't charge above c. 85% or let the charge fall below c. 15%, unless of course you need a full charge.

NJSS
Thanks for that and I never knew that. Is this for both types of charging?

With rechargeable batteries used in the home, I tend to use them until they go flat, then recharge them until they are fully charged. I guess I might be guilty of treating the hybrid battery the same way?

My experience so far regarding the manuals that come with the car are that they are not very good at giving out useful information. There are a gazillion pages warning us about dangers, health and safety and what NOT to do, but when it comes to telling the owner, What to do.... They fail miserably.

Thanks again for the reply, at present 61% charged

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I should have added that slower charging is preferable to rapid charging if time allows.

NJSS

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
These big hybrid batteries are actually designed to work in the 15-85% range all the time, the charging software actively keeps it in this to avoid damage. So leaving it plugged in so it shows 100% the battery actually isn’t that charge level

OP
kotecki

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These big hybrid batteries are actually designed to work in the 15-85% range all the time, the charging software actively keeps it in this to avoid damage. So leaving it plugged in so it shows 100% the battery actually isn’t that charge level
That's reassuring, thank you :)

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Usually as said, lithium ion batteries work best in the 15-85% range. Charging Lion batteries beyond this knackers them quickly. I have been only charging my phone to around 80% for years. Leaving them plugged in overnight fries them. The phone manufacturers know this. After nearly 20 years, Apple have eventually started putting smart charge software on so that it learns your habits and only tops up to the 100% shortly before it expects you to wake up.

My understanding was that EVs had a charge 'boost' function where you could choose to charge to 100% by intervention if you are planning a long journey.

This doesn't apply to those fake EV hybrids with the tiny battery which are much closer to a company car tax dodge.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Follow the manufacturers instructions and advice for your specific vehicle, not all Lithium batteries are made equal with different specifications responding to and requiring specific charge cycles and regimes, read the OM, it should all be in there, if you want to know more then find out whose batteries and their specifications that are installed in your car, then go from there.

OP
kotecki

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Follow the manufacturers instructions and advice for your specific vehicle, not all Lithium batteries are made equal with different specifications responding to and requiring specific charge cycles and regimes, read the OM, it should all be in there, if you want to know more then find out whose batteries and their specifications that are installed in your car, then go from there.
There is absolutely no specific advice in any of the manuals (that I have found) See post number 3

Are you aware of any instructions? I would be grateful if you could give me a clue.

OP
kotecki

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Usually as said, lithium ion batteries work best in the 15-85% range. Charging Lion batteries beyond this knackers them quickly. I have been only charging my phone to around 80% for years. Leaving them plugged in overnight fries them. The phone manufacturers know this. After nearly 20 years, Apple have eventually started putting smart charge software on so that it learns your habits and only tops up to the 100% shortly before it expects you to wake up.

My understanding was that EVs had a charge 'boost' function where you could choose to charge to 100% by intervention if you are planning a long journey.

This doesn't apply to those fake EV hybrids with the tiny battery which are much closer to a company car tax dodge.
Hi Mr Greedy
We had a Nokia phone kept in our 2004 E-class. It was put in when the vehicle was new and only removed when we sold the car in June of this year.. When removed from the car, that original battery was still working perfectly. Good old Nokia.

The boss has the hybrid supplement at the moment but I will check again to see if it actually does mention what you say. Our vehicle mainly only does short journeys, but here in Torquay the town is built on seven hills. It would be nice if the battery took in more than it put out when going up and down these hills but I think we all know this will never be the case. The electric motor copes admirably with these hills with more than enough power to trigger the speed limit alarm :oops::oops:

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Entirely off topic, for which I apologise.
I have always liked the R-Class, particularly the R63 AMG; and was delighted to hear that it will arise from the ashes in 2025 as the Mercedes-AMG GLR, an EV with 2 or 3 motors & adequate range & performance. I fear it may be too expensive for me though.
NJSS

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
There is absolutely no specific advice in any of the manuals (that I have found) See post number 3

Are you aware of any instructions? I would be grateful if you could give me a clue.
What! No detailed instructions in an MB Owner's Manual?!? Well whatever next? :)
Joking aside, you do surprise me somewhat that MB haven't at least published some guidance? As I posted in my earlier post "if you want to know more then find out whose batteries and their specifications that are installed in your car, then go from there." If you want to 'fine tune' your charging regimes specifically to match your batteries, the OEM MSDS will contain all the relevant information you will need which will allow you to do this, good luck with that one! :)

OP
kotecki

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sadly I am no authority on acronyms. mention STANAVFORLANT then I'm your man. OEM is okay but MSDS??? I do wish that we could speak English.

When you said to follow the manufacturer's instructions, I thought you knew what you were saying and I had missed this piece of information. The manual is most definitely not a work of art

TTATBFN

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sadly I am no authority on acronyms. mention STANAVFORLANT then I'm your man. OEM is okay but MSDS??? I do wish that we could speak English.

When you said to follow the manufacturer's instructions, I thought you knew what you were saying and I had missed this piece of information. The manual is most definitely not a work of art

TTATBFN
Material Safety Data Sheets - basis for every COSHH (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health) risk assessment

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom