To unbuckle a wheel

arvorite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL 55 AMG
Hi,
I have a slightly buckled Brabus Monoblock IV 9.5J x 20" alloy wheel which the factory doesn't make any more. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix it and if so where?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,can you put a photo up so that we can see the damage if it is visable

OP
A

arvorite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL 55 AMG
Brabus buckle

Hello Malcolm,
I have attached a photo but the buckle is not visible until you spin it and even then you have to hold something at the rim to see the variation. I have read on the forum about re-machining wheels but not too sure about that. I was hoping it could be re-formed somehow.

Regards
Don

Attachments

• Brabus Alloy.jpg
    Brabus Alloy.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 66

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Firms like Pristine Wheels can straighten wheels as you say no damage visible,, they are based in Milton Keynes

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
Try Diamond Wheels in Stockport, Manchester. I have used them twice.
http://www.diamond-wheels.net/
Steve has a specially designed machine-tool, similar to a lathe, which reforms the buckled wheel using hydraulic pressure. He then checks the truing of the wheel using a dial gauge on the outside rim while the wheel rotates. He can also repair any kerb damage.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Try Diamond Wheels in Stockport, Manchester. I have used them twice.
http://www.diamond-wheels.net/
Steve has a specially designed machine-tool, similar to a lathe, which reforms the buckled wheel using hydraulic pressure. He then checks the truing of the wheel using a dial gauge on the outside rim while the wheel rotates. He can also repair any kerb damage.

Yes they have a good name,,many people here happy with their work

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
As some may have guessed I dont particularly like alloys, they are very prone to damage and being of a cast nature in a grainy alloy they can be severly weakened by a hard knock. Thieves like them.

I had one fail catastrophicaly, its rim failed after a slight low speed kerb incident which left the wheel apparently undamaged but for some scratches on part of its rim. I continued to use the wheel and the tyre blew off along with a piece of rim a few days later, the kerbing had cracked the rim through, so its never again for me.

Mindfull of the above I would not like to be traveling in a car which had repaired alloys fitted it might just be my last ride.

Most aluminium alloys (the metals not the wheels) require heat treartment in chemical baths to allow any bending or forming to be done to them within a few hours of tratment, a cold bending event might result in deep sub surface cracking or just a weak spot which just what you dont need in a wheel.

Which ever way it pans out a repaired wheel will never have the same stregnth as an undamaged one.

Replace it and dont even think about reparing it.

LYNALL

Reaction score
Im sure if the results equaled death nobody would repair alloy wheels full stop. i had a cracked one tig welded and even though it was my spare happily used it several times.

Maybe not right but it works.

Ps i also repair my own punctures.

You have probably travelled in a car with damaged wheels and never knew, do you check all four before you get on a strange car?

Not getting at you but nothings perfect, if it were nobody would use e bay for example!

Lynall

OP
A

arvorite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CL 55 AMG
Thanks to all. I will probably try Diamond wheels. I hear what you are saying Wireman but they don't make these wheels anymore. I got the last one from the factory in Germany and I need one more.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I damaged a wheel on my V70 10 years ago,,I whacked it with a mallet till straight and its been on there ever since and balances up perfectly

drivencrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2003/2.7L
Steve at Diamond Wheels is a time-served engineering fitter and is experienced in using machine tools to repair metal parts.

Top Bottom