Today I Have Been Mostly Driving 1322bhp Of Mercedes

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
One 272bhp S211 E320 Sport (mine)

One 525bhp S212 E63 AMG

Another 525bhp S212 E63 AMG.

And for differing reasons, I won't be buying either of the E63's (but they were ****** quick though) .

I'll keep looking.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
The E63s must be awesome! Envious :)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
are you looking for the worlds fastest road legal hearse now, John?

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
The E63s must be awesome! Envious :)

Both very well specced but not very well looked after.

Hammering into a corner to have the seat bolster automatically inflate to support you was a peach, as was the "blip" as you changed down when in S+ mode.

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
are you looking for the worlds fastest road legal hearse now, John?

Funny you should say that Pete - one was black with tints.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it was 525 brake hearse power :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carabosse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 AMG Sport Line Premium Plus Coupe (C205)
Damn - I thought it must be the Mercedes Veyron. Not 3 cars added together! :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I may get rid of the V70R and get a super 211 :D

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
I agree ST4 , limited to about 5 secs.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've come to think in a world of 70mph speed limits the chance to enjoy 550bhp is limited.

that depends on the types of roads used. pointless on a motorway, yes, BUT a whole lot of fun on A/B roads.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
that depends on the types of roads used. pointless on a motorway, yes, BUT a whole lot of fun on A/B roads.

Corners approach very very quickly with a car of that performance and in truth, my C220cdi makes A/B roads mince meat, as you can never hit big speeds on tight roads.

Truth is, cars like this make a lot more sense in their domestic market which has smoother roads and motorways with no speed limits.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Corners approach very very quickly with a car of that performance

and there lies the fun and, in this country at least, the whole point of such a car. its not the high speeds its capable of, but the way it looks, handles, sounds and accelerates that theyre all about. the same can be said of ANY sports/supercar nowadays.

when I started driving on the public roads 21 years ago, if you had a small car (fiesta, metro etc) that could see 3 figures, it was a miracle, or a 'hot hatch' version of that car.
how many cars cant hit 3 figures easily enough nowadays? my guess is NOT MANY. tiny engined cars like the SMART etc, possibly, but fiestas, micras etc, no probs. BUT they cant do what the AMG does, as they dont HAVE the ability

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
There's loads of places to have fun in a fast car - that's why every manufacturer makes them.

The trick is to do it without losing your licence (says the guy whose been banned for speeding :cool:).

It' the overall package that appeals.

OP
Developer

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
and there lies the fun and, in this country at least, the whole point of such a car. its not the high speeds its capable of, but the way it looks, handles, sounds and accelerates that theyre all about. the same can be said of ANY sports/supercar nowadays.

Spot on Pete.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

when I started driving on the public roads 21 years ago, if you had a small car (fiesta, metro etc) that could see 3 figures, it was a miracle, or a 'hot hatch' version of that car.
how many cars cant hit 3 figures easily enough nowadays? my guess is NOT MANY. tiny engined cars like the SMART etc, possibly, but fiestas, micras etc, no probs. BUT they cant do what the AMG does, as they dont HAVE the ability

It looks more or less the same as a normal E class and handling will be a bit better but a 350cdi will serve up big kicks too...

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles

Surely the logical conclusion of this is just to buy a bottom of the range engine as they're all more than fast enough nowadays anyway.

The 2% of my driving where I go for a bit of a blast on some mountain roads i'm rather pleased my car is by far the limiting factor and find it fun keeping the momentum through the bends blasting up the hill. If the car isn't the limiting factor then the limiting factor will have to be self constraint and constant resistance of temptation, or the Boys in Blue, or a nasty accident...i think i'll just let the car limit my speed!

the other 98% of the time you also win by the increased fuel economy, lower insurance premiums, lower depreciation, lower base cost, lower service cost, etc, etc and general better reliability (with exceptions) of a simpler lower power unit.

Last edited:

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Bottom of the range engines are probably fine for normal driving but there's nothing like a few HP extra for those traffic light grand prix's :) I suspect most will have their favourite sets - mine in my youth was the Wolverhampton Road, Oldbury to Wolves:)

Car manufacturers build for the World Market not just the UK, so look at Germany and the UAE where they have a bit of space to use the power!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom