Today in my 'shop

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I'm really enjoying Alex's occasional series of pictures from his workshop. I don't generally do this sort of thing, as I'm rubbish with a camera and rarely get the time. I thought though that you might like to see what I have mostly been doing today...

Another little garage local to me had recently replaced the torque converter on a 2010 E350cdi. W212 shape. I've done a few of these myself, they occasionally develop a judder while changing gear usually on cars above 150,000 miles. Anyway, said garage had replaced the converter and about 50 miles later the car stopped with a bang and complete loss of drive. The car was recovered to the repairer who diagnosed a complete failure of the gearbox and asked me for a second opinion. In fact my diagnosis over the phone from seven miles away ended up being spot on. They had not engaged the dog on the torque converter correctly into the oil pump in the gearbox, and the two little drive pegs had sheared off. At this point the mechanic on the phone began sobbing. A few hours later the car was delivered to my place, and now my workbench resembles a plane crash...

image.jpg

The oil pump is located in the bell housing, but it is bolted in from the inside. That involves quite a strip to get to the bolts. That's why the other garage chickened out. New pump with intact drive dog is on the blue vice, but there's a bit of cleaning to do first and a new gasket and some O rings coming tomorrow. Ideally I'd pull the clutches and inspect them at this level of tear down, but the brief on this job is just to fix it. :)

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
I can't leave a cuppa tea on the bench without it going missing.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I work alone, so usually stuff stays where I leave it. Occasionally though there is a poltergeist...

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow showing the damage in detail, if people are interested.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Glad to hear, ill keep them coming!

Woops, they will only make that mistake once. Its a shame you cant replace the clutches, its right there! I plan to do the same on a 722.6 next time I have a spare one.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Glad to hear, ill keep them coming!

Woops, they will only make that mistake once. Its a shame you cant replace the clutches, its right there! I plan to do the same on a 722.6 next time I have a spare one.

The 722.9 is quite similar to the 722.6 when you have them apart. The 722.9 runs the oil pump straight on to the aluminium of the bell housing just like the 722.6, but you can buy a steel backplate for the 722.6 to reclaim a worn bell housing. Afaik there isn't one available for the 722.9. Also, you need to drop the valve block and electroplate to get the front off. There is a small plastic oil tube that connects the valve block through a hole in the front stator. You'll easily break it if you try to pull the bell housing away without removing it first. You have been warned ;-)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
The 722.9 is quite similar to the 722.6 when you have them apart. The 722.9 runs the oil pump straight on to the aluminium of the bell housing just like the 722.6, but you can buy a steel backplate for the 722.6 to reclaim a worn bell housing. Afaik there isn't one available for the 722.9. Also, you need to drop the valve block and electroplate to get the front off. There is a small plastic oil tube that connects the valve block through a hole in the front stator. You'll easily break it if you try to pull the bell housing away without removing it first. You have been warned ;-)

:) Ill remeber that, thanks!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... There is a small plastic oil tube that connects the valve block through a hole in the front stator. You'll easily break it if you try to pull the bell housing away without removing it first. You have been warned ;-)

Did you find out the hard way?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Nope. I always read first!

That tends to be one of my failings ...... read the manual after it's gone t*ts up. Fortunately I get it right first time most of the time :rolleyes:

I wish I'd done a bit more research into changing the 'fan belt' on EmilysMum's Citroen (BMW/Mini One engine) with its part time driven water pump :oops:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Lucky the torque converter came out, I have seen them get spun welded to the primary pump.

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
So, by popular demand, some more pictures...

A new oil pump

image.jpg

Spot the difference...

image.jpg

Both the drive lugs have sheared off

image.jpg

Picture of one of the lugs. I misplaced the other fiddling with it while on the phone. It's in the office somewhere...

image.jpg

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I ordered a new gasket for the bell housing to main casing joint. The old one looked like this

image.jpg

It does have to separate and seal quite a lot of oil passageways on the inside face of the bellhousing

image.jpg

Earlier I was describing the small plastic pipe that protrudes from the valve block, passes through the main case and sits in a hole in the front stator. This is the little pipe

image.jpg

It fits here in the valve block

image.jpg

And pokes up through the stator here

image.jpg

That's all the pictures I took. After that everything was cleaned, and then reassembled. As it sits now the gearbox is all ready to go back in the car tomorrow. Yes, I did check very carefully that the torque converter is seated correctly in the oil pump. ;)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Excellent stuff , I was amazed by all the oil passageways in the housing . Even Mrs Wighty liked that picture :D .
Has the other mechanic stopped sobbing yet ?

OP
Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Does this mean an expensive bill for the first garage?

Well, it will entail a bill from me.
Excellent stuff , I was amazed by all the oil passageways in the housing . Even Mrs Wighty liked that picture :D .
Has the other mechanic stopped sobbing yet ?

I should have taken a picture after it was washed - it looked amazing!

I haven't spoken to them today. Let them stew a bit..

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom