TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
I have had 5 Mercs but currently own a 2012 E220 Coupe Auto

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Nice one Tom, welcome to the forum :)

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
Thanks Andy

Any idea why all of the dash warning light come on (even though the engine starts and runs fine) but it won't let me select any of the auto gears.

Fitted a new battery two days ago... all seemed fine until I started up tonight... back to being unable to select gears again.

So I heated up battery with a hair dryer and the warning lights went out and I drove home.

Didn't get any lights saying that battery wasn't charging.

Nice one Tom, welcome to the forum :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I wish I could help you Tom, I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination. There are many who are so I am sure your wait will not be long :)

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
I wish I could help you Tom, I am not a techie by any stretch of the imagination. There are many who are so I am sure your wait will not be long :)

Thanks again Andy... I'm not techie either but I have a tame retired Merc mech... But this has got him stumped

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Tom
Bit odd on the heating front and intermittent working but otherwise I’d be checking to see if any fuses have blown, somethings happened in the battery change I’m guessing -Did you try to disconnect and reconnect at all? Is the new battery full?
Others will be along shortly with ideas

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
Welcome Tom
Bit odd on the heating front and intermittent working but otherwise I’d be checking to see if any fuses have blown, somethings happened in the battery change I’m guessing -Did you try to disconnect and reconnect at all? Is the new battery full?
Others will be along shortly with ideas

Hello John... thanks for responding.
You ask if the battery is full... Do you mean fully charged up? It is a brand new 80Ah 800A Stop/Start (£185).
Fitted last Saturday... worked fine on Sunday and getting to work and back on Monday. (20 miles)
But come Tuesday after work it started fine but all of the warning lights came on again and it "locked" in Park so I couldn't get into any of the auto gears.
Had to heat the battery up with a hair dryer and all the warning lights went out after 20 mins of warming it up. (So I went for a 30 mile drive to charge it up and it's ok this morning).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If it’s fine today then it can’t be fuses then.
I’m wondering about corrosion on one of the battery connections, maybe the hair dryer was enough to blow it away or heat it off maybe. Did your tech run a diagnostic?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Check the battery earth cable to make sure the connection to the body
I’m wondering about corrosion on one of the battery connections, maybe the hair dryer was enough to blow it away or heat it off maybe. Did your tech run a diagnostic?
That would be my next thought.
Check condition of the earth and power cables and where they bolt to. Heating may be expanding them to get a better connection to allow it to work.

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012

Hello again John
Just had my tame Merc Engineer check out the battery with his tester... all ok.
He then checked the Alternator... all ok.
Car running fine at the moment... no warning lights.
He tells me that if the voltage drops below 9volts? the battery will start the car but shuts down heating, internal lights, ABS etc etc.
He also checked the boot light and the boot lid red warning light... they went off when he jammed a piece of wire in the boot lid lock.
I have had 5 Mercs... loved them all ... never had any trouble with the battery getting cold.
How can Merc design a car that starts but shuts everything down leaving you stranded!

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
Check the battery earth cable to make sure the connection to the body

That would be my next thought.
Check condition of the earth and power cables and where they bolt to. Heating may be expanding them to get a better connection to allow it to work.

Thanks LostKiwi
I'll ask my mech friend to check them out right now... He's been here all morning looking for the fault.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks LostKiwi
I'll ask my mech friend to check them out right now... He's been here all morning looking for the fault.
Also look at what else is getting heat from just being in the vicinity. Anything with a soldered connection could be suspect as dry joints commonly work when warm but not when cold.

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
Thanks LostKiwi

Just checked the battery earth and power cables are well connected. all ok

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
Also look at what else is getting heat from just being in the vicinity. Anything with a soldered connection could be suspect as dry joints commonly work when warm but not when cold.

OK LostKiwi... Thank you... we will get on it right now

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
OK LostKiwi... Thank you... we will get on it right now

He has checked all the cables in the vicinity... no apparent issues

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
I have just driven from Oxford to Winchester and back (100 Miles) in an attempt to make sure the battery is charged up for the morning drive to work... Fingers crossed.

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
I have just driven from Oxford to Winchester and back (100 Miles) in an attempt to make sure the battery is charged up for the morning drive to work... Fingers crossed.

I forgot to mention that this was all happening with the old battery BEFORE I changed it. - And was the reason that I changed it ... so the installation of the new battery should have sorted the problem.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One question - does it require the heating of the battery or will he issue go way without that? Where did the idea of heating the battery come from?

If you measure the battery voltage what is it?

OP
T

TOM BELL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Coupe 2012
One question - does it require the heating of the battery or will he issue go way without that? Where did the idea of heating the battery come from?

If you measure the battery voltage what is it?

The "No Gears" incident happened last Thursday morning... Left the car at home and took bus to work.

My mechanic came round when I got home... we ran the engine for 30 mins before I could select a gear in auto.

He checked the battery and concluded the system locks the gears as a safety feature because ABS etc are "inoperable".
He told me that this happens if the temperature is low (Was below freezing at 4.00am last Thursday) and the voltage falls below 9 volts.

Thinking that being warmer might help... when I couldn't get into gear on Tuesday (3.00pm but probably +2 C) I got a long lead from work and heated the battery with a hair dryer... after 15-20mins I was able to select a gear and all of the warning lights had gone out.

I have been to Inverness in all my previous Mercs below -0 C in the winter with no trouble starting etc.

I have had this E220 Coupe for 18 Months with no trouble up to now???

The Battery voltage was 14+ on the tester.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was that before you started the engine or after? Whats really needed is the voltage before starting and then again 2 minutes after starting.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom