Too good to be true?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If the ABC pump was replaced they should have also flushed the system and replaced with new fluid and filter, worth asking to see a copy of the invoice to check it was all done.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I showed my Missus this red coloured SL and she quite liked it, said it was a nicer colour than her green/black/blue one.
She probed me a bit on it and said the price is good etc, but then decided it would be a step backwards as the sat navs are of virtually no use and it was lower spec than her low spec SL. :rolleyes:

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I'm not sure what this one may be hiding, apart from several owners, as low mileage and looks clean and tidy but as mentioned that price may be the starting point of a much bigger expenditure. Unfortunately I can't see the registration number to do a check on it, which may be an indication that the reviews on Google for this seller have some foundation to them - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Mer...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I showed my Missus this red coloured SL and she quite liked it, said it was a nicer colour than her green/black/blue one.
She probed me a bit on it and said the price is good etc, but then decided it would be a step backwards as the sat navs are of virtually no use and it was lower spec than her low spec SL. :rolleyes:
The spec isn't great and AMG body kit and wheels aside is lower than even my current SL350, but I'm a complete tart and do really like the colour which I think should polish up really well as most darker colours do.:)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Odd choices by the first owner to option designo, premium sound and AMG bodykit but leave out parktronic.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm not sure what this one may be hiding, apart from several owners, as low mileage and looks clean and tidy but as mentioned that price may be the starting point of a much bigger expenditure. Unfortunately I can't see the registration number to do a check on it, which may be an indication that the reviews on Google for this seller have some foundation to them - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Mercedes-Benz-SL-Class-5-0-SL500-2dr/362561631686?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Another with a pretty low spec. Again no distronic...

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C250D Coupe / Ex SL500 R230 - CLC V6 - Crossfire V6 - W203 C230k Coupe
Question is can you live without distronic? I dont think my SL had that either.
PArking sensors you can always go aftermarket subtle enough as they will go into the bumper mouldings

The silver with red leather one at under £5k.... Im having trouble digesting these prices lol they all seem TOO cheap.. EDIT - Just seen it says 7 owners... Looks tidy and factory for 7 owners I must say..

AMG kit makes a difference but I guess you can always buy the bumpers .. funny enough theres a member selling the rear one on the forum, SHucks or something his username was:rolleyes:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
it could turn out a nice car ,would the current owner permit an indi preview of the car,at yr expense. ? could be well worth it and if it cost you 3/4 k over a yr would you still be content ,if so buy the car... yr right ,nice colour, tho prob a ball ache to match if arches need painting rub yr hand around inner arch to check.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
The spec isn't great and AMG body kit and wheels aside is lower than even my current SL350, but I'm a complete tart and do really like the colour which I think should polish up really well as most darker colours do.:)
Have to agree that the colour alone would sell it to me! Think I'm alone in not caring what the spec on a car is. Our SL is basic spec as well (no pano roof no Comand) it was the Jasper blue and low mileage and condition that sold it to us. I guess that the only draw back of low spec stuff is the difficulty of moving it on when its time to sell. Lovely car - if I was in the market for one this is the one I'd have.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
I think SLs are very close to bottoming out on price. Some are now at the point of being cheap enough to be bought as "old smokers". They will be bought to drive around till they break then not repaired. Users will just move on to another old car. So, I think over the next couple of years numbers will drop rapidly and second hand parts will become more available hence making survivors cheaper to maintain.
I paid 7k for mine exactly 12 months ago. I've spent around £1500 on it since, mainly from choice, on things like tyres and brakes and wheel refurb. Over the next two weeks I'm going to fit new rear sub frame bushes to cure a twitchy rear end but doing it myself, it will cost less than £120. DIY keeps the costs down massively.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
So a quick HPI check on red one shows 8 former keepers with the current keeper only having acquired the vehicle on 17/12/2018.
Is that alarm bell loud enough? I know Alastair will be chuckling at these bargain basement motors, as the title says too good to be true!
Not withstanding that if you strike lucky and get a half decent one at the right price to allow for repairs it would be worth getting.
There I go dreaming again :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So a quick HPI check on red one shows 8 former keepers with the current keeper only having acquired the vehicle on 17/12/2018.
Is that alarm bell loud enough? I know Alastair will be chuckling at these bargain basement motors, as the title says too good to be true!
Not withstanding that if you strike lucky and get a half decent one at the right price to allow for repairs it would be worth getting.
There I go dreaming again :)
Not chuckling at all.... I hope that you do find a good one if that's what you want and at first glance that red one seems ok.
Is the current owner a dealer or private? If private walk quickly away and don't look back as it smacks of a car with issues.
It's not unusual to see these with many owners and relatively few miles. I think ours is 8 owners and my 129 is in double figures. These are luxury motors (as in having one is a luxury) so they tend not to be used as daily drives, kept for a while till novelty wears off/big bill appears and moved on again.

At least you're going about it the right way - lots of research, asking opinions etc and you know what to check. Of course none of that means you won't be bitten (there is a bit of a lottery on component failure) but at least you're minimising the risks.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The number of owners is often meaningless these days. For instance, my wife's car that she has had from new is showing four changes of owner. All in the family to get best insurance deals on our cars. Also the changes in the way road tax is done has caused new owners to appear on V5s (you can't use previous owners road tax on cars you've just bought).

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Not chuckling at all.... I hope that you do find a good one if that's what you want and at first glance that red one seems ok.
Is the current owner a dealer or private? If private walk quickly away and don't look back as it smacks of a car with issues.
It's not unusual to see these with many owners and relatively few miles. I think ours is 8 owners and my 129 is in double figures. These are luxury motors (as in having one is a luxury) so they tend not to be used as daily drives, kept for a while till novelty wears off/big bill appears and moved on again.

At least you're going about it the right way - lots of research, asking opinions etc and you know what to check. Of course none of that means you won't be bitten (there is a bit of a lottery on component failure) but at least you're minimising the risks.
Being single and not getting out as much as I should I amuse myself trawling through the classifieds. I happened across that red one and really liked the colour, although my son informs me a Mercedes should always be silver!
The add also threw up other similar vehicles and it struck me that prices are getting to the point that if having checked as much as you can it appears ok it may be worth taking a chance.
But the alarm bells need to be a little more muted as the red car appears to be a private seller having only owned the car for 3 months?

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C250D Coupe / Ex SL500 R230 - CLC V6 - Crossfire V6 - W203 C230k Coupe
Some good replies above there ^^

As with all cars and the motor industry it seems there is alot that's hidden. I've heard of cars with 3 miles on them needing the whole side repainted. Loads of cars are probably in a collision of some sort and not declared / repaired.

Just because it's not recorded doesn't mean it's not been involved.

Also the high owners to me it makes a difference. But I would never judge a book by its cover human or machine.

7 owners who couldn't afford to maintain the car or found out something about it they had to get rid ?

or 7 owners that wanted a fling with a v8 v6 indulgence car and swiftly moved on ?

Why would you get rid of a car that's great ? the SL is great. The issues with it make it not so great but still worth fixing to make it enjoyable again. I fear some people are not handy or willing and will just shift a trouble car on even if it's something that can be done DIY or general maintenance.. MOST people IMO will get scared by garage bills or the idea of the issue and shift it on.

Hence 7 owners. IMO.
Not always.
But it's the most common reason.

Same as a cheap car with high owners. it was cheap. we all had a go and moved it on (talking about cars here lol ) or tried to fix her up or improve (I had a 11 owner crossfire car c) .

NEVER judge
Grill the owner. Go experience for yourself. Might be the nicest person / car you've met or seen for a while.

Oh and don't think about it too long as a go getter might beat you to it... When I'm after a car and a half decent one comes up ..im there having a look in a flash.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's no substitute for going to look at a car. Pictures show you very little, just the good bits (how often do you see a seat belt carefully placed over a worn seat bolster). Also note the difference between a service history and a repair history. A folder full of invoices shouts unreliable garage queen to me. A good service history is a stamped book with corresponding invoices.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well I'm just tying up my limited edition Usain Bolt spikes on. I contacted the indy who fitted the ABC pump and they advised me this was sourced by their customer and fitted by them.
The system was not flushed or the filter replaced it was only topped up to replace the fluid. I'm assuming as the customer supplied the pump it was second hand although I've yet to get confirmation of that.
So someone has replaced the pump sold it a month later and the person who bought it is selling it three months later.
However much I like the colour that doesn't fill you me with confidence. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I'm just tying up my limited edition Usain Bolt spikes on. I contacted the indy who fitted the ABC pump and they advised me this was sourced by their customer and fitted by them.
The system was not flushed or the filter replaced it was only topped up to replace the fluid. I'm assuming as the customer supplied the pump it was second hand although I've yet to get confirmation of that.
So someone has replaced the pump sold it a month later and the person who bought it is selling it three months later.
Hurry up and get those shoes on!

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Probably saved yourself a fortune there :)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom