Total Electrical outage - intermittent

MilfordMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E-Class W211 2006 Sport Edition Saloon
I have searched the forums for W211 and can't find this issue mentioned. I have a 56 plate W211 320cdi Sport Edition saloon with 55,000 miles on the clock and I do 60 miles a day commuting plus business miles - about 20,000 annual so it is regularly used and serviced.

Three or four times I have got a total electrical failure - key won't turn, no dash lights or any electrical system works including hazards, lights and everything else.

Local MB Indy has had the car on SMART (strangely named because clearly it ain't) and checked through the fault codes and can find nothing but suggests EIS or key problem. Keys have been tested and batteries replaced despite nothing wrong. Car drives perfectly for maybe two weeks then it'll fail again. Happened on way home tonight after I was stationary with engine off and only the radio on for 20 minutes.

Called Green Flag - 112 minute wait advised so started poking around in the boot battery area and lo - the boot lights came on, Car started, everything works which I assumed this was coincidence as first time this happened in Lidl car park it came on again without warning after 5 minutes with no fiddling.

Arrived home, failed again - all lights off stuck in Park and no electrical systems working. Dark by now so using a lead light I took carpet out of boot and again pressing the various fuses and connections - the boot light comes on again and everything works. Fails after 5 minutes....took everything out of boot again smacked battery hard on top with my hand - like magic the systems are working again.

Anyone know what on earth is happening here? Battery reads 12v across terminals at rest and starts first time. When the power comes back, all trips are re-set and it is as if the battery has been dis-connected and re-connected. All joints/connections and everything else looks like new - no corrosion, damp or obvious signs of anything really.

Any help towards starting to find the problem would be a real boost - in the meantime I will start writing the Autotrader advert - this car is really the most unreliable I have ever owned and almost certainly my last Mercedes. It's cheaper to pay my mother's BUPA care home fees than keep this car on the road.

OP
M

MilfordMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Outage

Where did I get SMART from? I knew it was STAR.....just tired and frustrated with this darned car.

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Not a problem we have had, but my first port of call would be a battery control unit and possibly battery too.

Plenty of the battery control units on ebay. Note the newer part is a slightly different shape but works fine..

Last edited:
OP
M

MilfordMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Battery Issues

Thanks for advice - I'll ask the techs to look at that as a potential issue. Just seems crazy to me - there is so much wiring in this damned car that trying to find this fault will probably take a month's wages.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There is a known fault where some of the cars sound deadening got caught up in a connection near the drivers footwell and pre fuse box, the battery lead has to be removed to check the large spade to see if it has been arcing.

OP
M

MilfordMercMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another possible cause

There is a known fault where some of the cars sound deadening got caught up in a connection near the drivers footwell and pre fuse box, the battery lead has to be removed to check the large spade to see if it has been arcing.

I will ask the MB Techs to have a look at this at the same time. Car goes in Friday. They are keeping it until they can sort the issue. It has been p***ing it down today and the car hooks up and functions perfectly so water ingress or damp seems not to affect this problem

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will ask the MB Techs to have a look at this at the same time. Car goes in Friday. They are keeping it until they can sort the issue. It has been p***ing it down today and the car hooks up and functions perfectly so water ingress or damp seems not to affect this problem

This fault is in WIS the mercedes information system, if they have problems I can send them the info sheet.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
A key clue here is that the clocks reset.
This suggests a main power source failing rather than a Sam or the like.
I would start with battery cables/ battery control module etc for the source of the fault

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A key clue here is that the clocks reset.
This suggests a main power source failing rather than a Sam or the like.
I would start with battery cables/ battery control module etc for the source of the fault

This is what I think hence my post on the power cable thats got under felt caught up in it

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You don't have a loose battery lead do you? Or maybe the main earth from the battery is dirty?

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
This is what I think hence my post on the power cable thats got under felt caught up in it

I gotta admit....
I never seen one with the fault you commented on. But it's been mentioned to me before!!
It's definitely possible

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I gotta admit....
I never seen one with the fault you commented on. But it's been mentioned to me before!!
It's definitely possible

It is on AF54.18-P-6402A

grahamwoodward

Reaction score
Website
www.gwoodward.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 (petrol) Avantgarde Saloon (2004); CL203 CLC180 Kompressor Sport (2008)
Milford-Mercman

I've just found this item on the forum - I have exactly the same fault with my W211 E320 - a total electrical power loss, but intermittent. The last time it happened the power came back after I opened the boot with the emergency key. Inchcape Mercedes had the car for two weeks over Xmas and eventually replaced the EIS unit (£794 !!!) but the fault is still occuring. I am also getting an error message saying that curtesy items are disabled to save the battery, despite having fitted a new battery recently. The main battery was replaced with a genuine one last May (2017) and the aux battery is OK as well - there is no power drain etc.

How did you solve your problem? I may have to tell Inchcape how to fix the fault!

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I don't think the OP has visited the forum since Oct 2015. You could send a PM.

I'd go with what others has said regarding a Battery to Earth lead fault.

grahamwoodward

Reaction score
Website
www.gwoodward.co.uk
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 (petrol) Avantgarde Saloon (2004); CL203 CLC180 Kompressor Sport (2008)
Ken: Thanks, I'll go with that for now and update the forum once I've resolved the problem.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom