Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Stephen,

I firstly thought that I had just learned of a new Loch Lomond location! You might be dyslexic (even I had to correct my spelling of it!") but there is nothing lacking in your photography technique. I enjoyed looking at your Flickr Photostream.

I'm guessing as I am a a newbie here, that like me you are a camera club member?

Ian (Nikon D300s)

Hi Ian,

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the dyxlexia, its unimportant but it causes me to make some amusing mistakes from time to time. It can actually make life quite tricky with long strings of numbers (trying to say get onto my online banking can be a scream!!!)

Not a camera club member, would maybe look at joining one. I post a lot on talkphotography.co.uk and the C&C sections can be helpful.

I'm not using such a high end body as use (not on a full frame yet ;)) using a D80 with the Sigma 10-20mm which gives a nice wide field of view. Nice sharp lens too.

I have a D5000 which does have a better sensor that can cope with more dynamic range, with an 18-200 lens. This gives me a very portable jack of all trades camera.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Steve, I just love the last two shots! The reflections are awesome! You are wasted in your current job! Surely a photography job is round the corner for you!

Many tell him that, they are all outstanding and very salable pictures, sure he has a nice camera but it is the one taking the shots that in this case has that flair for just perfect photography.

All of his pictures hold that magic depth.:D

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Steve,

Your pictures are amazing, the composition and crispness, make them almost 3D. The lenses must cost a fortune to get the clarity that you obtain,
i expect cold clear air helps the picture at this time of year with no haziness.

If it was not so cold, i swear i could swim in that loch, what cameras and lenses did you use ? i suspect you used a telephoto for the one with the dear.
I like others are jealous of your talent, well done, amazing shots.

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Hi David,

The coolness does help with clarity of air. What really helps is most of them bar the Deer, and Loch Lomond reflection shots were taken on a tripod with the camera on self timer to elminate shake.

Shutter speeds of over 1/80th second were used for the brighter loch lomond pictures so handheld was ok. Press the shutter button in, then press a little more to release, no shake...simple good technique...

I find with the D5000 body it requires much less exposure time than the D80 and can be used handheld no problem, the D80 just needs more time to let the light in for the right exposure. However, it has a separate wheel for controlling the aperature which is great...

Lens the Sigma 10-20 cost £550 and the Nikon 18-20mm used for the relfections shot, the ones of the car, cost £350. Not earth shattering high end gear.

PP was done on Aperature 3, with Colour Ex4 as a plugin...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Before dinner I looked at some Scottish touring board sites, not one picture as good as any of yours Steve

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Funny thing is, they get a big £60million budget IIRC.

I heard a story they used a picture of the lake district, someone got wise and they had to actually take one...up here. Heaven forbid. Its not like we are lacking in views.

I suspect they don't put as much effort in to ensuring they get a good image the way I do.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Before dinner I looked at some Scottish touring board sites, not one picture as good as any of yours Steve

Steve..
Thats why I told you that you should put yourself about..
You have a flair for photography and if you get your foot in the door then it would be a nice way to earn a living.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
P.S

Steve..
Do keep in mind the "De Lux Scottish Tour" that we half thought about in the spring time...
I suspect that if you give plenty of notice then there could be more takers for "Le Grande Tour"..:D

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
Thanks for these Stephen, my mouth just fell open when I saw the Inveruglas jetty pic and stayed that way ... stunning chap, really stunning.

Pete

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Hi Steve,

brilliant meaty shots, i bet you looked at the dear and thought if it was walking across or facing towards me that would be the perfect shot,
but those chances are rare.

The lenses you used just scream quality, i thought you may have used a tripod on some shots Steve it can make a big difference. I bought a
Nikon D 7000 last year and still getting to find my way round it. But i do appreciate good shots and yours are top of the tree.

Pinenut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDi sport 2007
Steve,
Late to the show here but echo what everyone has said. I looked at your pictures in awe. I do like photography myself and your ability to capture a shot is stunning. I saw Mercedes Brochure shots where you car was in them, I saw top quality screensavers in others and one of the later ones with the deer where you mention Scotlands classic shot is pure Whisky publicity.
As for calendar shots you should give it a try, I for one would buy one. You seriously have some stunning pictures there.
Absolute class mate,well done , I loved viewing them, Oh and nice Merc by the way:D

Cheers

Ross

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Steve..
Thats why I told you that you should put yourself about..
You have a flair for photography and if you get your foot in the door then it would be a nice way to earn a living.

I know your right. Right here and now I'm getting bumped around in a train as I head on for early shift. I've lived the dream last week, but not today...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom