Towbar electrics for W210 E320

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C63 AMG Wagon Edition 125 2011
I have just bought my first MB about a month ago , an E320 cdi Avantgarde and i am so pleased i did , now i want to fit a towbar for towing a 1500kg caravan .

Firstly will a non MB towbar be ok ? , and secondly the electrics , can MB supply a wiring kit ? , and if so does this plug in to the existing wiring loom ?.

Can i get hold of a wiring kit that is not MB , and it will do the same ?.

The vehicle is fitted with the parking sensors , how are these affected ?.

And lastly how will the gearbox fair with towing this 1500kg caravan , are they liable to overheat ? .

Sorry for all the questions guys , but as a newbie i want to do everything right .

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum...I can let you have details of the tow bar and wiring kit that pugs into the rear SAM fuse box.

There are non MB versions,,but I know nothing about them

Your car has a transmission cooler built in

OP
robfly

robfly

Event organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C63 AMG Wagon Edition 125 2011
Thanks for the reply Malcolm

i would be gratefull if you could pass on the info , btw what does SAM stand for ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply Malcolm

i would be gratefull if you could pass on the info , btw what does SAM stand for ?

SAM is a electronic storage system that sores all of the electronics on the car, and passes the commands that you give to the appropriate place.

I will Email the document to you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1 paper sent another will follow later

Devon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E200K Estate + BMW 320 Gran Turismo
I also want to install a towbar on my W210, E200K Estate.
I can get a DIY bar no problem and apparently, a vehicle specific wiring kit, which I take to mean one that plugs in to the rear SAM unit mentioned by Television/Malcolm.

My question is:- Where is this rear SAM unit installed on the estate? I can't find it but I don't actually know what I am looking for!

Any guidance much appreciated.

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
I have a Mercedes 'Invisible' detachable towbar to fit W210 estate if anyone is interested, I don't have the SAM fitment though. It's only been used once and in excellent condition. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also want to install a towbar on my W210, E200K Estate.
I can get a DIY bar no problem and apparently, a vehicle specific wiring kit, which I take to mean one that plugs in to the rear SAM unit mentioned by Television/Malcolm.

My question is:- Where is this rear SAM unit installed on the estate? I can't find it but I don't actually know what I am looking for!

Any guidance much appreciated.

I have the bar fitting instruction now and can print off the electrics later in the day

Devon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm,
Any info you can email would be very useful - thanks.

Mike

Devon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Peter,
I assume you mean the complete unit not just the detachable bit (the tow hook)?
If the complete unit, how much would you want for it?
You can email me if you wish.
Mike

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
The aftermarket is full of towbars and electrics, including, bulb failure, and parking sensors ......... don't go to MB for anything, unless your rich and stupid !!

The after market has to meet strict EU manufacturing standards. these also now apply to fitting ......expect to pay less than £400 fitted and working, for your car, maybe less than £300

As for towing a 1500kgs van ..... absolutley 100% ...... not a problem, in both towcar weight, and power to do the job!!

FYI: MB, dont make towbars ... they are contracted out to Brink UK ... now owned by Thule.

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
Hello all,

I already have this experience with the caravan towbar. I must say it was an expensive jock. First I let it done by an indie. The mechanical part was OK but the electronics was not good (SAM has to be programmed that the back parking sensors get off when towing a caravan). Another problem: the radiator fan must be upgraded to a bigger one in order to get rid of the extra heat! I gave the car to the German MB dealer (I bought it in Germany) and they completed the job. Totally the cost went more than 2000 Euros. :roll:

Regards,

Robert

Devon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Robert,
Rather than having the SAM re-programmed, could you not have simply switched off the parktronic whilst towing or is it more complicated than that?

Mike

robert_winter_1000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB E350 CDI (W212)
Robert,
Rather than having the SAM re-programmed, could you not have simply switched off the parktronic whilst towing or is it more complicated than that?

Mike

Hello Mike,

I thought about this option but that was not the only problem. When the electronics has been mounted by the Indie, start getting many false error messages on the dashboard like: Break lamps does not work etc…I gave him the time to fix it with some books and maps about it but he could not do it. Then I decide to take it back to the dealer in Germany who really fix it good. As option I asked him to put extra 12 V source to be used in the caravan on transit. It was expensive but good. :roll:

Regards,

Robert

W210

Reaction score
BOSAL towbars not for Avantgarde w210 -200

Am trying to get a T/B for MB / 1996 / W210 / E200 / PETROL / AVANTGARDE.

Then I get this:

Home :: Tow Bars :: MERCEDES :: E-Class :: Saloon (incl. 4x4 (4-Matic)) (excl. AMG, Avantgarde) 6/95 - 3/02 (W210) :: MERC E CLASS 95- T/B 020641

excl AVG, so what do I go for next, as I aint cuttin up the bumper. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanx

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I have a Brink detachable fitted to my W210.
It was fitted by an indy, and is connected to the electrics near the lights I think.
So far (6 years) it hasn't caused me any trouble, even with the lamp failure warning.

W210

Reaction score
Thanx brandwooddixon,

Was a bit concerned about so much not for the AVG model. Probably because they are lower MB dont reccommend towbars, so I was told. What type of cost is a detachable?

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom