Towbar for a W164 ML

C

CurtisM

Hi all - I hope some one can shine some light on this one.....

I have just brought a July 2009 ML300 (W164) - I need to fit a towbar so i can annoy everyone in the summer with my caravan :):)

After several discussions with my local dealer and hunting through EPC Net i have become more confused - Does anyone know of the correct part numbers for a detachable towbar??? (I don't have the AMG body kit)

On the subject of towbar electrics my dealer has also told me i need to add/replace a SAM unit (at about £200) and then re-code it - is this true??

I would prefer to use Genuine Parts if i can (especially the electrics) so if anyone could help - the beers on me ;)

psmart

Reaction score
Hi all - I hope some one can shine some light on this one.....

I have just brought a July 2009 ML300 (W164) - I need to fit a towbar so i can annoy everyone in the summer with my caravan :):)

After several discussions with my local dealer and hunting through EPC Net i have become more confused - Does anyone know of the correct part numbers for a detachable towbar??? (I don't have the AMG body kit)

On the subject of towbar electrics my dealer has also told me i need to add/replace a SAM unit (at about £200) and then re-code it - is this true??

I would prefer to use Genuine Parts if i can (especially the electrics) so if anyone could help - the beers on me ;)
I had the same dilemma 2 months back.......but first some background:-

I ordered a new ML270 from Cragside Mercedes 9 years ago and was told I couldnt have a factory towbar fitted but would be fitted by the dealers. Cutting a long story short, they made a wopping mess of it, including the bumper on a brand new car. My mistake is that I took the car out of the country the day I picked it up otherwise it would have gone back! I later found out that the dealers get external companies in to do the job!

On the new ML (W164), same situation, I really wanted a dealer fit, but after calling Mercedes in Leeds and Bradford, both shipped the cars out to external companies, so given the above palava, I was tentative on the dealer route idea!

Regarding warranty, it isnt affected (wether done via Merc dealer or direct) and the electrics were covered under a seperate warranty.

So more enquiries later, I found this company, family firm, http://www.applegate.co.uk/all-industry/international-central-towbar-1277795.htm who could fit a German removable towbar system, with single, twin or 13in Euro electrics for ~420, no drilling of the body (the car already has the slots and holes for the bracket to bolt in) and the electrics were guaranteed by the company for the life of the vehicle. After lots of enquiries, I let them do it and they made a perfect job, all you can see is the 13pin Euro socket, otherwise you wouldnt know it had a towbar (which is removable with a key). No body work damage and everything looks A1.

I primarily needed the towbar for a bike carrier and possibly a trailer in the future. I wouldnt take the risk annoying Jeremy Clarkson & co with a caravan though :D

OP
C

CurtisM

Thanks psmart

Very helpful, a bit far North for me (based in Berkshire) - do you know what manufacturer the hitch is? (Westfalia, Brink etc).

I would fit it myself, just had a look at the Westfalia site - looks very good and simple to fit.

It does mention having a relay and SAM unit fitted - did you have these fitted when you had yours done?

Curtis

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I fitted the Westfalia demountable towbar to my W164 ML with no problems at all - and I have AMG bodykit too!! Needed to just trim away a small part of the rear bumper to clear, but you can only see it if you get on your knees and really look. Tows very nicely too with a tilt bed car trailer and E46 BMW M3 race car on board. You need to get the pukka electric kit from them too, but a doddle to fit - plug and play except you will need the coding altered with Star to get it all working. I have my own machine, but would expect a dealer to charge half an hour or so to set it up for you - have a haggle.

OP
C

CurtisM

Hi Uncle Benz,

Are there any issues with using the Westfalia electrics - eg effecting the reverse sensors etc?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The Westfalia electrics kit plugs directly into the rear SAM module. Once the coding is set for towbar, when a trailer is hitched and plugged in, the reversing sensors are switched off. This is why coding is needed after the job is done. The Westfalia instructions even show the menu sequence for the Star machine.

OP
C

CurtisM

Cracking advise Uncle Benz - all i need to do now is find a Westfalia Dealer and and man with a Star machine who wont rob me at gun point ;)

What sort of Motor Sport you into??

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Oh, you know, this and that...

We build track cars as a bit of a sideline.

I'll code it for you, if you fancy a drive to West Sussex

ETA, I see you like rallying - I have a Lombard refugee at my workshop at the moment. The late cancellation of this years event has left it somewhat abandoned at my place. The owner has not yet received a refund of the entry fees I understand...

I have sent you an email, as you do not have Personal Message privileges yet... Let me know if you get it!

Last edited:

psmart

Reaction score
Thanks psmart

Very helpful, a bit far North for me (based in Berkshire) - do you know what manufacturer the hitch is? (Westfalia, Brink etc).

I would fit it myself, just had a look at the Westfalia site - looks very good and simple to fit.

It does mention having a relay and SAM unit fitted - did you have these fitted when you had yours done?

Curtis
I think its Westfalia but will check tonight. From the information Uncle Benz has given, should answer any W164 members enquiries. If you find a good source for the Towbar kit, post the link.

V7SLR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML(W164)/08/320DCI
Hello all. I'm new here but I found this thread by Googling. It's been the single-most useful source of info I've found on the internet and led me to buying a Westfalia towbar for my wife's W164.

I am a long-term member of Pistonheads, where I have opened a general enquiry about this subject and posted some pictures of the installation.

The coding wasn't accomplished correctly so this is being addressed next week. At the moment the rear parking sensors do not disable automatically, neither does the fog light.

Can anyone tell me if the reversing light is disabled when a trailer is attached?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=96&t=897764&mid=64855&nmt=ML (W164) tow bar fitting

Regards.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Who did the coding for you?

The instructions in the Westfalia kit are very comprehensive, and they even have screen pictures of the Star menu at each coding stage. It's not hard to get it right.

If they didn't have a Star machine they might not have been able to do it correctly, or at all.

Decent independent would sort it out.

OP
D

DIY747

Hello Uncle Benz. Apologies for hijacking this post but I note you offered to code somebody else's electrics with your Star machine. I've just fitted a used Westfalia kit and need the electrics finishing off and recoding. I have an '06 ML 320 CDi. Please could you contact me to discuss. Thank you. DIY747.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I've emailed you, as you don't have enough posts for PM's

69cmw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 320 W164
Hi, Does anybody know where I can buy the 13 pin Westfalia electrics for a W164 ML320.

Thanks

almightybunghole

Reaction score
Hi Uncle Benz

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but am in the latter stages of convincing myself to buy a W164 ML320 CDI and will need to fit a towbar from the off. Have had a look around and the Witter detachable that you mention seems a good choice.

The install looks straightforward enough, was just wondering about the re-coding. Is this something that can be done with say a Snap On scanner for example, or does it require the Star device mentioned specifically? Also keen to know that when correctly coded the reversing sensors and fog lamps etc are disabled as I've read conflicting things on the interweb.

Last thing, I've read about cooling upgrades for towing - are these required and if so, what needs upgrading? I'll be pulling a caravan about 1450kg or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance

George

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Uncle Benz

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but am in the latter stages of convincing myself to buy a W164 ML320 CDI and will need to fit a towbar from the off. Have had a look around and the Witter detachable that you mention seems a good choice.

The install looks straightforward enough, was just wondering about the re-coding. Is this something that can be done with say a Snap On scanner for example, or does it require the Star device mentioned specifically? Also keen to know that when correctly coded the reversing sensors and fog lamps etc are disabled as I've read conflicting things on the interweb.

Last thing, I've read about cooling upgrades for towing - are these required and if so, what needs upgrading? I'll be pulling a caravan about 1450kg or thereabouts.

Thanks in advance

George

I have the wiring install if you would like the paper, no coding mentioned at all.

almightybunghole

Reaction score
I have the wiring install if you would like the paper, no coding mentioned at all.
Thanks that would be really useful - everything I've read suggested that the SAM module would need coding to disable the parking sensors etc when installing an aftermarket towbar.

Do you know anything about the additional cooling some people talk about? Can't seem to find much about that either!

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I would think a W164 wouldn't know a 1450kg caravan was on the back at all!!

Unless you are moving to Dubai I'd be surprised if any additional cooling would be needed for that - but I am happy to be corrected if wrong.

neeto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320 CDI 2007
Rear SAM replacement part number?

Sorry to again resurrect this thread - first time poster - be kind ;)

I've recently picked up a clean & cheap 2007 ML320 CDI - WDC1641222A285314 with on ~115,000km on it.
(and yes there does appear to be an extra 2 before the A, but that's the number)

I got a tow bar and wiring fitted by Australian MB dealers from a wreckers and fitted it - all good so far.
But now I need the SAM unit - wrecker didn't have it.

The trailer wiring is different here in the land of Aus to everywhere else - we're very "special" down here.....
It has an extra control box connected to the rear SAM - "PB420" is the number on the control box / wiring loom.
It appears to insulate the all electrics in the from any electrical issues in the trailer.
The control box plugs into the rear SAM unit - via two connectors.
One is a CAM bus connector and the other takes various power connections from the SAM to the PB420 control box.

According to EPC, my car should have the rear SAM "A 164 540 98 62"
which as replaced a number of times, to eventually end at "A 164 900 51 01".
These parts all have two connectors for the wiring loom connectors on the PB420.
But the existing SAM unit is part "A 164 540 05 01" and has no connectors for trailers/hitch.
This has left me a little confused on what the correct part number is for the SAM unit with two extra connectors.

Can anyone in the UK share the part number of the replacement SAM unit for their 2006-2007 W164 they purchased when they fitted their trailer unit?

Thanks,

Neeto

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom