Towing a caravan with an E320 CDi auto saloon- anyone done it?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
We put our heavy items in the car rather than the caravan - food, bottles, awning etc. Hence the estate car...

As above, there are axle weight maximums shown on the sticker on the B post ;)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
As above, there are axle weight maximums shown on the sticker on the B post ;)
We're not carrying that much! Two people less than 12 stone each and two smallish dogs...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
We're not carrying that much! Two people less than 12 stone each and two smallish dogs...

It's been a while since I've been less than 12 stone :D

Just suggesting you get carried away filling the car with stuff. :)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
It's been a while since I've been less than 12 stone :D

Just suggesting you get carried away filling the car with stuff. :)
Well... There are sometimes quite a few bottles. :oops:

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
As you say - interesting the differences. We are seeing bigger and more luxurious vans whereas yours are getting smaller and lighter it seems. Our tow units are becoming 4WD units with minimum 3 tonne towing capacity and 300kg drawbar weight limit as the norm. Our heaviest vans are around 3.5tonne - Bushtracker is a well known "bulletproof" one. We do have stability control being introduced but have seen a number of instances where it becomes very intrusive and annoying. Braking wheels for no obvious reason. Many are disconnecting the systems. We really don't need it as our 10% minimum and WD kits are very good at preventing sway. Nearly every time you see a van swaying, it will be because of insufficient drawbar weight. Novices and slack salesmen.....

karl otter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 320cdi sport saloon
Hi folks

We have the 2005 E320 CDi Avantgarde saloon, yes it's very powerful but not apparently heavy enough to tow the caravan we want, so we are looking at getting a smaller 'van....

I wonder how many people on here tow a caravan with this car, and how it manages, and if you've needed to fit a transmission cooler? Does the MPG plummet too?

Aiming for an 80% match, or lower, and the 'van we wanted was 91% so we are not going there....

Would be interested to hear your thoughts!

Thanks

Fiona
I have a 2008 e320cdi sport saloon,

I have towed my bailey pageant all over the uk and two trips touring Germany, my caravan is relatively light at around 1300kg loaded . I have never had the car overheat and I got 28mpg in Germany. It seems to tow better in sport mode (7gtronic gearbox) suspension does drop at little at the back if you have the 100 nose weight but it has never bottomed out or grounded anywhere. I did look into spring assisters but were told no one made them for the saloon and my local Mercedes dealer reckoned I didn't need them.

hope this helps WP_000809.jpg

Top Bottom