Towing/transporting a non runner

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
My son has got to move one of his cars to a garage about 1/2 mile from his house to store and so he can work on it (on going project!!). The car doesnt work (technical eh!), its basically just a shell, it does have an engine but not much else, its a track car for racing.

I'd like to know how to move it to the garage, as Im a bit worried about towing it, not sure about the reliability of the brakes etc :shock:

Any ideas please?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
A trailer is probably the best method, towing has to be done using a solid metal towing bar, ropes are no longer allowed, without brakes it is better to have it lifted, if he is doing track days etc. I'm sure he will know someone who can move it for him, or if new to the sport, go along there and speak to a few of the guys, they normally are a helpful lot... or he could send his mom .

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the car has to be fully road legal to do that otherwise they wont touch it as theyre not insured!

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Hi Sarah

Can't you call a local tow-truck operator?

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
1/2 mile? Tell him to get some mates round and push the thing up the road. :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yep push it, with any luck a paasing policeman will help !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Give everyone a hug that you can find ,, and the car will get moved like magic:cool::cool::D

OP
MissyD

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
some interesting ideas thanks, but have to put it on hold atm, because my son is unwell, he has swine flu, so wont be doing anything till he feels better.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
some interesting ideas thanks, but have to put it on hold atm, because my son is unwell, he has swine flu, so wont be doing anything till he feels better.

I didn't give it to him!

OP
MissyD

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
update

thanks guys for all the suggestions - good and bad!!, my son was able to get a solid towbar and was able to move the car to the garage - how much work he actually does on it will be interesting !

swannymere

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E300D
I don't think it is illegal to tow a car with a rope, it seems to be some kind of urban myth that has done the rounds. I'm happy to be corrected but i can't find it written down on any official government website anywhere.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a rope is illegal for a PLANNED tow, however its ok for use in an emergency only. that was the last thing i heard, from an RAC guy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a rope is illegal for a PLANNED tow, however its ok for use in an emergency only. that was the last thing i heard, from an RAC guy.

interesting,,I wonder how many plan on breaking down

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i meant for moving a stripped/project car etc as opposed to breakdowns. rac etc know they will be towing and as such arent allowed to use ropes. same as garages getting called out to breakdowns arent supposed to use ropes as theyre aware they may need to tow the breakdown away

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Vehicle towing and loading. As a driver

you MUST NOT tow more than your licence permits. If you passed a car test after 1 Jan 1997 you are restricted on the weight of trailer you can tow
you MUST NOT overload your vehicle or trailer. You should not tow a weight greater than that recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle
you MUST secure your load and it MUST NOT stick out dangerously. Make sure any heavy or sharp objects and any animals are secured safely. If there is a collision, they might hit someone inside the vehicle and cause serious injury
you should properly distribute the weight in your caravan or trailer with heavy items mainly over the axle(s) and ensure a downward load on the tow ball. Manufacturer’s recommended weight and tow ball load should not be exceeded. This should avoid the possibility of swerving or snaking and going out of control. If this does happen, ease off the accelerator and reduce speed gently to regain control
carrying a load or pulling a trailer may require you to adjust the headlights
In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery.

[Laws CUR reg 100 & MV(DL)R reg 43]

This is the current regulations regarding towing (note the last two lines)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2 people were killed near me last year when a car attempted to pull out of a lane on a blind bend,,this guys wife's car would not start so he joined up a rope. He pulled out onto the main road, and a car came went smack into the side of his wife's car killing both.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
phone the AA tell them it's broke down and ask them to tow it to the garage for repair.

You may get a laugh if nothing else

He could always claim he drove it to where it is at present. A bit like that Candid Camera stunt a few years ago when a guy pulled up for petrol then the car failed to start, mechanic looked under the bonnet and - no engine - it went on and on from there+:lol::lol:

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
I f the vehicle wasn't taxed it should have been trailered. You may only drive a car on the public highway without a roadfund licence for the purpose of attending a prebooked MOT????? was always my belief:shock:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom