Towing Twin Axle Caravan ML 250 or ML350

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Looking at towing in a hot climate, I towed a 1600kg van for many years in Oz with my ML270. Never a problem with engine coolant - the fan cut in when necessary and kept the temp under 95°. However, it is a totally different situation with the auto tranny. The heat exchanger fitted is useless in hot temps and my fluid went black very quickly. Wouldn't change up gears after a long ascent until temp returned to acceptable. Only solution was an added radiator in the front with tranny fluid going through it. From the time of fitting it, nary a problem and oil stayed nice and clear. If you are going to tow any decent weight in a Euro summer, I suggest you look at doing something similar.

Ian.

exactly where i am, looking at that. some P saving 10 cents on a min spec original cooler .

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I posted this above. Additional cooling IS necessary. If you’re going up a 1-in-4 hill in the Serengeti sometime midsummer, towing MGTW... because the car is a global model and not sold to national markets.

slightly miss leading ..eg the car can tow no issues in greenland but NOT in australia. at best should read .has global capability. the suggestion that its a global model implies its fit for work around the world which according to the makers? as std ,it aint . i am well aware that many engines/machines spec upgraded cooling for hot climates but in my trade that,s generally reflected in the model designation.it seems that much is built today to an absolute min standard that can just do the job, its just that in many cases this never comes to light as in many cases its not a factor in a vehicle sale, tho it may turn out to be a factor later. i have seem many ,many ex eu ,usa .machines from the used market pitch up in africa ,generally work fine with no problems and a very few that dont, this tells me that generally there is a fair amount of overspec cooling systems on such machinery ..

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It depends on the sales volumes by market. From memory, MB sell something like 60% of their volume in Europe and mainly where additional cooling isn’t necessary to boot. So, why lose margin to give away vehicle content that isn’t needed?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I don't know of anyone in HR (Hand Relief / Human Remains) on here, but there are a few caravaners like you, me, Emilys Dad, Grey etc ;)

Fixed that for you ;);););)

Jonce

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 AMG premium plus
Hi,

I’m looking to buy a new car/tow car as a daily car and a summer months tow car. My caravan is a twin axle weighing 1724kg with a full load.
Weight recommendations that the caravan weighs no more than 85% of the cars weight works for both the ML 250 and the ML 350. There’s hardly any difference in the weight of the two vehicles so (the 250 is an 80% match and the 350 a 79% match - lower figure is best!!)
From what a know (and this is my tec spec limit) it’s torque (accelerating pulling power that counts) and 80Lb per ft of torque is recommended for towing.
When calculating the weight of everything that the car will be pulling (car, loaded caravan, passengers and loaded boot) the figures I have are
250 will end up with 80 lb / ft of torque
350 will end up with 99 lb / ft of torque

The 350 can’t be beaten in terms of torque and weight ratios and brilliant reviews (but ...) with not a great deal of cash to spend and concerns about daily running costs I’m thinking will I get away with the ML 250???

Anyone who is towing a heavy twin axle van with either car (looking to buy a 2013 most likely) please can you let me know how you are getting on both in terms of daily driving and t holiday towing.

Many thanks
Hi i run a 2015 ML250 to tow my caravan which is 1560 KG I used to tow with a 5 series estate with levelling air suspension which was a good tow car but not a patch on the ML, the ride is much better in the ML which doesn’t have air suspension. With regards power the car barely breaks into a sweat I have never seen the temp gauge move towing in the hottest English summers, it does have the factory fitted tow bar. I am considering moving up to a caravan of around 1740KG and have no concerns on the towing ability. Fuel wise I get between 23-28 mpg when towing, and without the caravan around 40mpg. This is a great tow car the best I have had, yes the 350 would tow even better But not ‘much’ better for the additional costs.
Hope this helps.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom