towing

R

raymond291

i have towed a caravan with my e class 270 cdi 2 years ago after 200 miles the engine management light came on and put me into limp mode a fitter came out and said there was no fault showing i carried on my journey to france and it happened three times again iwent to mercedes in france and they said it was probaly the towbar wiring when i came home i had it checked again this year i was towing again and the sme thing happened i took it back to mercedes and they said it was the injector seals had them fixed 3 weeks ago took the caravan 200 miles happened again now thinking of having oil cool fitted to automatic

Last edited by a moderator:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Is it an MB factory fitted (from new) towbar?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Would that make a difference?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
If factory fitted it would come with additional cooling / oil cooler?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Could be true. I have the factory fitted one, but don't know if I have a cooler fitted. How can one tell?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Extra rad in front of / below main rad?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Really ? I never thought that they would go to so much re engineering on a car for this. Thats class.

I don't know for sure! Perhaps Renault12ts can tell us?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Really ? I never thought that they would go to so much re engineering on a car for this. Thats class.

More likely designed to a budget. That's the problem when accountants take over the engineering design.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I think it is clearer than previously.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
The instructions for the 'Westfalia' tow-bar clearly state that to ensure the car is within the requirements of MB the 'cooling fan' will need to be upgraded, there is no mention of transmission coolers. Additional stiffeners will need to be fitted either side of the boot - part numbers given - when a saloon is used for towing (I could scan the actual document if anyone is interested

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
The instructions for the 'Westfalia' tow-bar clearly state that to ensure the car is within the requirements of MB the 'cooling fan' will need to be upgraded, there is no mention of transmission coolers. Additional stiffeners will need to be fitted either side of the boot - part numbers given - when a saloon is used for towing (I could scan the actual document if anyone is interested

Very interested.... scan away..

DC ;)

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
When Dave and i was in the dealer network, i remember given him a hand to fit a tow bar and up-rated cooling fan, the fan we replaced was the same part number as the one we removed!!

Any more questions????

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
When Dave and i was in the dealer network, i remember given him a hand to fit a tow bar and up-rated cooling fan, the fan we replaced was the same part number as the one we removed!!

Any more questions????

Yes but it took 2 of you to fit it..........:p:p

HaydnM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML350 / W164

Any more questions????

So are we saying the uprated cooling fan is a bit of a scam, if it is the same part number as the original.

I am just about to fit my towbar & I am now concered about reading about the fan

?

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Kenlowe do good after market transmission oil coolers - a dawdle to fit .

I had one on my W123 280TE which previously relied on a pipe exchanging heat with the engine coolant .

My later cars have had separate ATF coolers built in .

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom