Track Rod End

Raddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 410
Never done Track Rod Ends before, so bought a couple for my Sprinter and got on with it. I got the Nyloc Nut just over half way down with two or so Threads showing through the Nyloc and it just wouldn't go any further, to the point it wouldn't go on or come off.

I emailed First Line for advice on how to get the Nut on or back off and they said it was a Defect and needs to go back to the Factor who sold it to me.
First Line want nothing to do with it and as far as the Seller, I've had it too long for the Bay Merchant to give me the time of day.

How do I get this off without damage :(

Attachments

• JUNE 2021 Holidays 076.JPG
    JUNE 2021 Holidays 076.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 9
  • JUNE 2021 Holidays 075.JPG
    JUNE 2021 Holidays 075.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
R

Raddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 410
Put a jack under the track rod end to stop it spinning. The nyloc but is just tight on the threads causing the tapered shaft to spin.
Thanks Kiwi - currently abandoned on Storage Facility and will give this a try when weather picks up.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
or .... ;)
Akku-Winkelschleifer+FLEX+125+mm+kaufen.2.jpg

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Never done Track Rod Ends before, so bought a couple for my Sprinter and got on with it. I got the Nyloc Nut just over half way down with two or so Threads showing through the Nyloc and it just wouldn't go any further, to the point it wouldn't go on or come off.

I emailed First Line for advice on how to get the Nut on or back off and they said it was a Defect and needs to go back to the Factor who sold it to me.
First Line want nothing to do with it and as far as the Seller, I've had it too long for the Bay Merchant to give me the time of day.

How do I get this off without damage :(
If I under stand correctly, you loosened the locknut and unscrewed it until the NyLoc caught on the threads ( were a bit dirty / rusty from being exposed ) and now its just spinning. Did it unscrew enough to expose some treads between the NyLoc and the track rod ? Enough to get a snipe nose vise grip on to it? Should not take too much to hold it. I've managed it that way several times in the past.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If I under stand correctly, you loosened the locknut and unscrewed it until the NyLoc caught on the threads ( were a bit dirty / rusty from being exposed ) and now its just spinning. Did it unscrew enough to expose some treads between the NyLoc and the track rod ? Enough to get a snipe nose vise grip on to it? Should not take too much to hold it. I've managed it that way several times in the past.
I think what happened is the old one came off but while doing the new one up the taper 2asnt seated so the nyloc but spins the shaft.
Very common.
Pushing the taper into the arm with a jack or lever gives enough friction for the nut to tighten.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I think what happened is the old one came off but while doing the new one up the taper 2asnt seated so the nyloc but spins the shaft.
Very common.
Pushing the taper into the arm with a jack or lever gives enough friction for the nut to tighten.
Ah yes, I understand now...its the new track rod end he's talking about. In that case, the jack is the best solution. I've come across cases where removing the old one was the problem, where the exposed threads were not properly cleaned first and the end was turning.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I thought the problem was removing the old one too .... hence the suggestion of the grinder. ;)

had the same problem removing a bottom ball joint on Emily's car a while back .... end up with a hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped round it to saw the threaded bit off.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I thought the problem was removing the old one too .... hence the suggestion of the grinder. ;)

had the same problem removing a bottom ball joint on Emily's car a while back .... end up with a hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped round it to saw the threaded bit off.
Angle grinder is a good solution if it won't come off (with a 1mm cutting disc it's perfect).
I read it as got the nut down 2 or 3 threads so read that as the new one as the track rod ends are normally below the arms they mount to.

Could be either though I guess!

Top Bottom