Tracker....should you call 999????

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
Hi, just found out my car has Tracker fitted so have paid the fees to get it activated. Now if the unthinkable should happen and the cars stolen who should you call, 999 or the local police station? Not sure if they would class a stolen car as an emergency?

TR.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Hi, just found out my car has Tracker fitted so have paid the fees to get it activated. Now if the unthinkable should happen and the cars stolen who should you call, 999 or the local police station? Not sure if they would class a stolen car as an emergency?

TR.

Do 'Tracker' not give you information as to what to do? I would guess that it has to be activated by their Control Room - and they then do the neccessary.

drivinggod09

Reaction score
phone 999 anyway not that i expect they would be bothered il ask my mate who has one later

OP
T

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
Do 'Tracker' not give you information as to what to do? I would guess that it has to be activated by their Control Room - and they then do the neccessary.

tracker say "report the incident to the police then contact tracker"

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I would contact Tracker first, the police don't respond to petty crime very fast or even show much interest anymore.

Russ

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I've a tracker on mine - report to police and then tracker and tracker will work the police to inform them where the car is.

I think the police have the equipment to find where it is not "tracker", they merely advise the vehicle has moved illegaly

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I think the police have the equipment to find where it is not "tracker", they merely advise the vehicle has moved illegaly

But doesn't 'tracker' have to be activated by their Control Centre in the 1st instance - to make it 'ping' - before the Police can start to trace it?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
But doesn't 'tracker' have to be activated by their Control Centre in the 1st instance - to make it 'ping' - before the Police can start to trace it?

That is my understanding too.

Russ

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
The company that fitted the tracking device should provide a telephone number to their control rm. Last time I disconnected my battery I had two calls within half an hour.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Hi TR--It depends what level of tracker you have fitted there are 3 ?--They will not tell you and you poss will not find the unit (usually under pass seat)
IF it is the top level -they will ring you if the car moves without the ign operating !!
Be aware of this if the car is ever put on a trailer !- it will attract a police escourt very quickly--We once had a call from them when the car was pushed down the drive (flat battery) to say it had been moved and possibly stolen .

FELLOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208/1999/320
Tracker

Tracker 0044800911900

Tracker are very good. Last time my Merc was collected on a low loader they called me told me where it was and ask if that was ok!

Tracker work through the contact numbers listed and confirm with you that the car is being stolen..if no contact is made they call the police.

If your car is stolen the Tracker should be automatically activated call 999 then Tracker - if your vehicle has Tracker the Police. (One version works by GPs the other by Rf ping...most Police helicopters and Traffic cars have this fitted.

Try not to abuse it too much by checking where the car (wife) is (still at the store) before ordering another beer!

PS ...do not leave the keys next to the front door or a spare set in the kitchen draw...the Police used to do a "Key Safe" sticker for the house window...Tracker don't advertise the fact they are fitted and will retrospectively turn them on if stolen and subscription not active .... generous tips usually made when the vehicle is returned.

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi lets say you have got everything going and in place car gets stolen and they find it a lands end whom pays to get your car home 300 miles approx
mine as a tracker but when I asked the question above they never manage to answer it

Kevin

OP
T

True romance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk280 (2008 face lift)
OK I'm still none the wiser so lets re-word the question:-

If your car is stolen do you call 999 or the local police station?

power-steering

Reaction score
Not sure how that one works really but SmartTrack sounds pretty good!!.. I plan on getting it myself along with the Viper 500XV alarm.

Here's what they say about SmartTrack in their sales page:

If the Vehicle is illegally moved, a signal is sent to the SmarTrack Secure Operating Centre who will in turn call the owner to confirm a possible theft. If the theft is confirmed, SmarTrack can begin to track the Vehicle live.

The Protector+ is supplied with its own back up battery. If your battery is disconnected or runs low SmarTrack will call and alert you of this.

If your Vehicle is stolen, you will need to obtain an incident/crime number from your local Police and pass this to the 24hr SmarTrack Secure Operating Centre. SmarTrack will then establish the exact location of the stolen Vehicle using GPS and GSM technology and highly detailed mapping screens and liase with the Police, Security and Recovery services providing regular location updates as necessary until your Vehicle is located and recovered.

Once your Vehicle has been located, SmarTrack will arrange for a Security Guard to wait with it until recovery can be arranged.

Unlike other tracking devices, SmarTrack can be transferred from one Vehicle to another by any SmarTrack approved engineer.

Now.. I think that is PERFECT for anyone :p

Cnics

Reaction score
Website
www.cnics.co.uk
Call 999, it IS an emergency. The car has been stolen, there is every chance the driver will be driving fast to get away and could cause an accident.

Rob

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom