Tracking question

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.
Hi All,

I recently had my tracking adjusted after having 4 new tyres fitted to my w203 C Class. The steering wheel is now off set to the left slightly so I am booked in to have it adjusted tomorrow. But I am a little worried as at the time of the tracking taking place the techncian told me the only setting for the car was the same as a C Class with standard suspension and mine has sports suspension with AMG's. Would the car be listed as an AMG although it's only a 200K?
Any ideas.

ADP:confused:

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Sounds like the front wheels were adjusted without the steering wheel centred - done on my cars many times but I simply spent five minutes removing/refitting steering wheel (should not have to do that though). Thoughts of modern cars with airbag/switchgear on the wheel mean this becomes harder to do inside the cabin.

Others should be able to answer the other question.

Diggers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would take it back and ask them to re do it with the steering wheel locked in the correct position,,this is important for the correct operation of the ESP

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>I simply spent five minutes removing/refitting steering wheel

This is really bad practice on all cars, and especially MBs.

On all cars, you stand a chance of upsetting the indicator arm return mechanism - it depends upon whether the cam is on the column, or on the back side of the steering wheel.

The older MBs had a tight spot in the steering box at straight ahead - which would no longer be straight ahead after jiggling about with the wheel.

The newer MBs have a steering angle sensor, and if you meddle with the wheel, the car will think it's always cornering!

The right thing to do is to adjust one side's track rod out a bit, and the other side's in a bit, thus keeping the overall tracking right - or, even better, centre the steering properly, and then set the car up.

OP
A

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.
I will definitely have the tracking re-set tomorrow, so no chance of me taking the steering wheel off . But I would imagine there should be different setting for the suspension type as it's not standard and the sport option.
ADP

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
On the MB tracking computer, you have to state what the cars set up is, i,e sport, A/G ,

So there is a difference on the range!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On the MB tracking computer, you have to state what the cars set up is, i,e sport, A/G ,

Yes I agree with that,,but the steering wheel should have been locked in the straight ahead position

OP
A

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.

Thanks
The system used at the garage is a Gorghi 4 wheel system not MB. Have you ever heard of these systems?

ADP

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Well it is, thats the first thing you do before you start anything, lock the wheel in the correct position!

Then carry on to the next step!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Thanks
The system used at the garage is a Gorghi 4 wheel system not MB. Have you ever heard of these systems?

ADP

I havent no, only used the MB one!!

OP
A

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.
Thanks SAM/UNIT.

Has anyone heard of the Gorghi 4 wheel tracking system.
ADP

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Thanks SAM/UNIT.

Has anyone heard of the Gorghi 4 wheel tracking system.
ADP

I've heard the Hunter 4 wheel system is best for Mercedes, but at the end of the day, if the guy using it is not up to the job, it does not matter what system he uses.

Russ

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
I've heard the Hunter 4 wheel system is best for Mercedes, but at the end of the day, if the guy using it is not up to the job, it does not matter what system he uses.

Russ

Wise words!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
lazy days, lazy mechanic. go back and politely state that it has been done incorrectly. we would never send one out without centered wheel!

OP
A

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.
lazy days, lazy mechanic. go back and politely state that it has been done incorrectly. we would never send one out without centered wheel!

I will but still unsure about the setting as it states standard suspension on the read out they gave me and I told them it has sports suspension but their answer was there are only two options AMG or standard!! It may be best to get a refund and try an MB franchise?
ADP

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the setting probably is the same. something like toeing in 15 or 20 mins +/- 10 mins. i shouldn't worry too much as long as they have got it near bang on whatever it was supposed to be (the +/- allowance is overly generous).

OP
A

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.
the setting probably is the same. something like toeing in 15 or 20 mins +/- 10 mins. i shouldn't worry too much as long as they have got it near bang on whatever it was supposed to be (the +/- allowance is overly generous).

So you think if they make sure the steering wheel has been set to the centre and re-set everything should be OK? They changed the front right toe from 0 deg 25' to 0 deg 19' and left from 0 deg 04' to 0 deg 13'

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
that would be an included toe of 32 mins - too much methinks, but not far from the 29 mins you started with. if they have given you seperate values for each side, and so have adjusted each side, that does not explain your steering wheel alignment issue. it suggests that either they did not set the wheel straight first, or that your rear tracking is out, or that your car is very bent (unlikely)

how far out is the steering wheel? to test if it is centered correctly operate indicator and see at what angle it cancels, do this for both sides, it should be the same angle from vertical each side. as has been said, if your steering wheel is far enough out the esp will not work properly and will put the light on.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It is actually a CORGHI 4 wheel alignment computerised system very well known name in the tyre industry, they make all types of equipment for the tyre industry, try looking them up on google.. but as said if the guy cant use it, its useless

OP
A

ADP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200K, SL500.
that would be an included toe of 32 mins - too much methinks, but not far from the 29 mins you started with. if they have given you seperate values for each side, and so have adjusted each side, that does not explain your steering wheel alignment issue. it suggests that either they did not set the wheel straight first, or that your rear tracking is out, or that your car is very bent (unlikely)

how far out is the steering wheel? to test if it is centered correctly operate indicator and see at what angle it cancels, do this for both sides, it should be the same angle from vertical each side. as has been said, if your steering wheel is far enough out the esp will not work properly and will put the light on.

I will test in the morning but it's probably about 10+ degrees towards the left of centre. The rear right camber was changed from -1 deg 26' to -1 deg 22'. I must admit this means very little to me but I am very worried that it means very little to the technician as well. I dont think the steering wheel was set straight but not sure.

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom