Traction Control Can it be turned OFF

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I was told recently by a professional driver that to completely turn off the traction control the button has to be held down for 6 seconds ????

is this true ......................

jib

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I was told recently by a professional driver that to completely turn off the traction control the button has to be held down for 6 seconds ????

is this true ......................

jib
If he is refering to Mercedes Benz, the answer is no. On Benz it only takes one click of the button and the system is off. As far as I know you cannot completely switch off the system (even with Star D).

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
You can switch it *off* as far as it will let you, but if you remember the 5th Gear episode when Tiff took the ML63 around the test track, MB Techies had to completely switch it with their machine, but wouldn't allow it to be filmed.

So the answer is as above Yes, but only partially.

Never heard the 6 second thing though :(

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I know I can turn it off, Im talking about turning it off completely.

jib

A210AMG

Reaction score
Hello

As already mentioned with Tiff and that ML63, he was told it was 'off' but it wasn't fully 'off'

The bods with a laptop had to turn it off completly.

why do you want it off?

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
1st gear take off traction control goes mad.

jib

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
1st gear take off traction control goes mad.

jib
This system is intergrated with so many other systems that even if it were possible to switch it off, the chances are that you would end up with many problems. Its not a good idea.

A210AMG

Reaction score
Would it not be worse with no traction?

what are your rear tyres like?

Are you a boy racer at heart, if your gunning it from a stand still.....(joking..)

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
No too old for the boy racer stuff (39) personally think hard throttle from standstill isnt the best thing to do to any car unless you like replacing tyres and transmission parts on a regular basis.

Just curious about the traction control, I still think its possible to disable it without the use of a computer and removing fuses etc.

jib

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
No too old for the boy racer stuff (39) personally think hard throttle from standstill isnt the best thing to do to any car unless you like replacing tyres and transmission parts on a regular basis.

Just curious about the traction control, I still think its possible to disable it without the use of a computer and removing fuses etc.

jib
The simple answer is you cannot disable this system completely. You can switch it off but the system continues to monitor and when there is a fault it will still put check lights on.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It is rumoured that a well placed paper clip can switch it off completely, but that is probably an urban myth.

As far as I know, prior to the AMG63 cars which switch off entirely on the switch, the system can only be disabled completely on the AMG cars - and then only with a 'hidden menu'. On my C32, it is described as 'dyno mode' when it is selected. I can explain how to do this for AMG owners if the moderators think it is acceptable.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
It is rumoured that a well placed paper clip can switch it off completely, but that is probably an urban myth.

As far as I know, prior to the AMG63 cars which switch off entirely on the switch, the system can only be disabled completely on the AMG cars - and then only with a 'hidden menu'. On my C32, it is described as 'dyno mode' when it is selected. I can explain how to do this for AMG owners if the moderators think it is acceptable.

I personaly would not advice you to try this. As ive already said the system is interlinked with so many other systems, and a tempory (switch off) will not affect them, but I dont know the damage that can be done by a permanent shut down. These are expensive cars and experiments are not a good idea, especially as you are only curious and have no real need to shut the system down.:!: As the saying goes curiosity killed the cat ( and they have nine lives).

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I personaly would not advice you to try this. As ive already said the system is interlinked with so many other systems, and a tempory (switch off) will not affect them, but I dont know the damage that can be done by a permanent shut down. These are expensive cars and experiments are not a good idea, especially as you are only curious and have no real need to shut the system down.:!: As the saying goes curiosity killed the cat ( and they have nine lives).

The reality is that no harm can come to anything that is turned off.

Turn off ESP, ok what happens, all that means is that the pendulum is switched off, if the car slews, and the BAS will not apply the brakes.

Turn off the BAS, and as above the brakes will not be applied in an emergency situation.

Turn of ABS, the brakes still work.

Turn off traction control, then all that happens is the the system is not used, and some of the benefits are lost.

No harm can be done

Hope this is not getting like "twiggy's" one hit wonder

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
The reality is that no harm can come to anything that is turned off.

Turn off ESP, ok what happens, all that means is that the pendulum is switched off, if the car slews, and the BAS will not apply the brakes.

Turn off the BAS, and as above the brakes will not be applied in an emergency situation.

Turn of ABS, the brakes still work.

Turn off traction control, then all that happens is the the system is not used, and some of the benefits are lost.

No harm can be done

Hope this is not getting like "twiggy's" one hit wonder

Whatever happened to twiggy?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What a Bummer, I liked the skinny kid. She set a trend that is controversy today. Especially in the fashion world.

I wish there were more around that size today :confused: :confused:

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
I wish there were more around that size today :confused: :confused:
Lol, you can find thousands of (look alike) in asia, but not like twiggy. She was a one and only. Now, in the fashion scene, they are fighting this thin look. What will it be like in the future? Back to fat is the trend?

OP
jibcl500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I like fat birds!!!!!

jib

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom