Trans glitch.

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
I have been enjoying driving my E class for the past 2 weeks but experienced a few transmission shift change problems. Twice I have accelerated up through the gears & when it was getting close to where the transmission would have changed into 4th I have taken my foot off the accelerator to slow down. On these two occasions the transmission appeared to select neutral or no gear selected. It would coast for a while & slowing down, the transmission would select the correct gear & drive OK again. The two occasions were days & many miles apart.
On Saturday on two occasions it locked its self, once in 3rd ( I think ) & once in 4th gear. When it did this it would not change up or down automatically or manually. On switching off the engine & restarting it runs perfect again & has continued to run OK for the past 4 days & maybe 200mls no problems at all.
The car has stood unused for 2months but was connected to a battery trickle charger during this time & I have had the battery tested & seems to be OK so I would tend to rule out a low voltage. The car is a 2001 E320cdi with 177K on the clock. Transmission oil & filter was changed 8k miles ago & old oil looked OK.
I have it booked in for the oil level to be checked & diagnostic check on Friday but wondering is any of you technical guys would have any ideas on the problem.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
why not check the oil level first before you start to incur diagnostic costs?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Mark above and the first thing to do

OP
R

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks MarkMifsud/Malcolm.
Had the oil level checked today & needed almost 2ltrs, Diagnistic check showed no faults that would cause my symptoms so hopefully the low oil level may have been the problem. Local inde didnt charge for diagnistic check & only charged for the 2ltrs of oil. Very good friendly service indeed. Will now need to investigate where the oil has leaked from or gone to.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a small leak on the joins between the pipes and rad, I also needed around 2 lts. What did he charge you in total then? ATF from MB is 9.99 per lt.

OP
R

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MarkMifsud
Phill charged £20, he said the oil was almost £10 a ltr.No charge for diagnostics or labour as it only took a few mins. But very good of him to do so.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MarkMifsud
Phill charged £20, he said the oil was almost £10 a ltr.No charge for diagnostics or labour as it only took a few mins. But very good of him to do so.

well thats more than reasonable I think, you had a result there

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
bargain! id stickwith him at those prices!

Top Bottom