Transmission issue with error code P0715

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BRABUS SL55 K8 (R230), SL500 (R129), B Class B200 CDi, VW T5 Transporter.
I noticed that when I put my car in drive from neutral it engages with a hard jerk...almost as if my foot was on slightly on the accelerator while putting it in gear, but the rpm are at around 750 in neutral then drops to around 500 rpm when in gear.

My car is now stuck in "Limp mode" and remaining in second gear while driving, (I cannot change gear other than reverse) only with error code P0715, apparently this code relates to the transmission electronic plate speed sensor, (whatever that is. :confused:)

not sure if related but my problem started after having a new alternator fitted, and having the plug and pins replaced on the lead connecting to my long ago upgraded 82mm throttle body.

is this P0715 code indicating a big issue with my gearbox...is this speed sensor inside the gearbox...or could the problem be elsewhere? :(

just seen this. "P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction"

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Its thumping into gear because its in limp mode, that is what happens.

Was there any other codes stored besides that code? If that is the only fault code stored then I would say you have an issue with the electro plate. But looking at the actual values on STAR will tell you for sure.

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
P0715

Its thumping into gear because its in limp mode, that is what happens.

Was there any other codes stored besides that code? If that is the only fault code stored then I would say you have an issue with the electro plate. But looking at the actual values on STAR will tell you for sure.

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Because I had low voltage issues apparently caused by a faulty alternator I was told that there were pages and pages of various fault codes prior to the alternator replacement, these would have been cleared prior to me picking up the car I am sure.

To clear the initial code I received while driving home I used my code reader which is quite basic therefore cannot read or display all the codes, the P0715 it displays as "P7015 Unknown" (I had to look it up on the internet) even after clearing it, the management light comes back after a few seconds, but still with no gear change!

I managed to take it back to the independent Merc dealer last night so I am waiting to find out what THEY say...

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We had another post recently where the plate failed shortly after battery problems, I cannot tie the 2 together but who knows

OP
BRABUS R230

BRABUS R230

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
P0715 Update

Just finished speaking to the garage, they said that the cleared the fault, took the car for a test drive, checked the oil level (noticed it was slightly low) put some oil in, took it for another test drive....and all seems to be ok.

Going to pick it up now! :D:D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just finished speaking to the garage, they said that the cleared the fault, took the car for a test drive, checked the oil level (noticed it was slightly low) put some oil in, took it for another test drive....and all seems to be ok.

Going to pick it up now! :D:D:D

If low on fluid check that pilot bush on the side of the box

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom