Transmission? Noise from '99 CLK320

Shikar

Reaction score
Hello All

I've done a search on this, and not found anything, so apologies if this has been covered...

Essentially my 66k CLK320 (auto) has had this noise coming from somewhere in the drivetrain (?) getting progressively worse over the last 500 miles. I can only describle it as a sort of metallic whirring/clicking under acceleration. Power etc feel fine, and you can only hear it with window/sunroof open, but any thoughts on what it might be would be very welcome!

Many thanks

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Rattling cat?

OP
S

Shikar

Reaction score
..nice thinking! Easily remedied do you know??

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Depends, thinking about it, could be the heat shield which can be cut off.

If it is the cat either live with it, put a couple of self tapping screws into it to stop the rattle, or cut it open and remove the guts (I don't know what effect this will have on the running of the car.

Failing the above, new cat - if it is the cat..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The screws do not work on the CAT as the material is too soft, been there and tried it.

I and many others have cut the lower box open and removed it, then welded up again, all of the cars passed the MOT as you still have the upper CATs

To replace the lower boxes you are looking at £1600 from MB.

This is the only engine affected by this fault, it would seem that the boxes are very low down, if water or long grass cools the outer box, the shrinking of the metal crushes the CAT as this has not cooled down, then the rattle starts

matrixabc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 350 CDI 2011
as there are two cats at the bottom is wouldn't it be unbalanced if you removed just one cat? there is a crossover pipe which links the two exhaust systems but it is after the cats.
do you think my pies are lower than they should be? pic attached

Attachments

• DSCN0550.JPG
    DSCN0550.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 17

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom