Trying out M.B.S

Wolfenion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W123
I've decided to email MBS of Southampton to have my car booked in and checked out since the exhaust system and/or heat shield is rattling, and annoying the hell out of me. I will update this thread to let everyone know how it goes but first I need to hear back from them as I've only just Emailed them and not expecting a quick reply since it's the weekend.

Anyway, this rattle started out not over two weeks ago as a very faint noise, and it got progressively louder with each day where now it rattles on idle (when the engine is warm at least) and during a different range of Rpm's. I'm hoping it's not the Cats gone bust but after lifting the car up myself today and looking underneath, the Cats seem to be in very good shape (from the outside at least!) but the back part of the exhaust seems to be a little rusty. I'm a lot more suspicious about the heat shield at the moment than anything else.

Will let you guys know how it goes :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it is the bottom CATS then just open up the bottom boxes and remove them,,I did that and so have loads of others, the car will pass the MOT OK, you will be happy with MBS

OP
W

Wolfenion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W123
If it is the bottom CATS then just open up the bottom boxes and remove them,,I did that and so have loads of others, the car will pass the MOT OK, you will be happy with MBS

I have read about this now after doing a little research and it seems you can do that if it's to bottom box. Will it be worth removing the whole box completely and replacing it with a straight pipe? It is starting to get a little rusty along the edges that's why I'm asking. I would image in might have an effect on the sound though.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I have read about this now after doing a little research and it seems you can do that if it's to bottom box. Will it be worth removing the whole box completely and replacing it with a straight pipe? It is starting to get a little rusty along the edges that's why I'm asking. I would image in might have an effect on the sound though.

Thanks for your input.

Hi,
Mic (on this forum) did just that with his SL500..
He had the secondary CAT removed and a piece of stainless pipe made to fit..
His car then passed the MOT with flying colours, so dont worry about that aspect.

OP
W

Wolfenion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W123
Hi,
Mic (on this forum) did just that with his SL500..
He had the secondary CAT removed and a piece of stainless pipe made to fit..
His car then passed the MOT with flying colours, so dont worry about that aspect.

Thank you for the information. By now I've read enough to get the secondary Cat removed if it is damaged that is, I'm still not exactly sure where this rattle is coming from.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The rattling is always the lower CATs the V6 is known for that,, its often a tinkle sound that comes and goes, it take a very short time to cut open the bottom boxes with an angle grinder on 3 sides, remove the CATs and weld up

OP
W

Wolfenion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W123
The rattling is always the lower CATs the V6 is known for that,, its often a tinkle sound that comes and goes, it take a very short time to cut open the bottom boxes with an angle grinder on 3 sides, remove the CATs and weld up

A tinkle that comes and goes, that summed it just about right. Do you think the car's original exhaust tone will change once you remove the inner bits television?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing to speak of really, though possibly better

OP
W

Wolfenion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W123
The car is currently being worked on after the sound of the noisy CAT was instantly recognised. I've gone with having the inners removed instead of buying a whole new system which will cost a lot more as everyone know. Took me a while to find MBS since there are no signs leading to the place but so far I'm happy with the service. The place has got that air to it that's it's not Quick Fit, or Nationwide since I've used these two garages before only to be horrified by the work done on my car.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
The car is currently being worked on after the sound of the noisy CAT was instantly recognised. I've gone with having the inners removed instead of buying a whole new system which will cost a lot more as everyone know. Took me a while to find MBS since there are no signs leading to the place but so far I'm happy with the service. The place has got that air to it that's it's not Quick Fit, or Nationwide since I've used these two garages before only to be horrified by the work done on my car.

Just had one of my Vito Taxi cabs serviced and overhauled by MBS yesterday, Its a 260 mile round trip for me but well worth it for their profesionalism and knowledgable experience, you will be well looked after and a job properly done, had my SL serviced by them back in the summer. They make it look so easy too.

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Just had one of my Vito Taxi cabs serviced and overhauled by MBS yesterday, Its a 260 mile round trip for me but well worth it for their profesionalism and knowledgable experience, you will be well looked after and a job properly done, had my SL serviced by them back in the summer. They make it look so easy too.

I believe Chris that, to the expert, all things are easy! :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You will be pleased with the result, they are very good

Matt32AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From new 2002 SLK32///AMG, 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Cabriolet sold:-( Porsche RS60 3.4 :-)
Absolutely, and nothing was too much trouble. (kind of like it used to be back in the day when custom was valued), definately use them again. ;)

OP
W

Wolfenion

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W123
Okay guys, just got back a few minutes ago from MBS, and what a service! Colin and Dave (although I'm not sure who was who!) obviously know what they are doing as they explained a lot of things about my particular model that I didn't know about myself. You just know when you talk to them that they are dedicated and interested in their work. I was shown what was done on my car and was even shown the broken bits of the inside of the Cat, which I'd never seen before.

If someone who hasn't tried them yet is reading this, take my word for it and forget the main realer next time. I was amazed at the total bill as well, the figure in my mind was a lot bigger than what I was actually charged. Keep things short, I found that little place I can take my car to and trust the hands working on it.

Big thanks to everyone who suggest them to me!

Daz Of Naz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS500
Just don't forget the biscuits when you go to MBS!:shock:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Oops, no one mentioned anything to me about this!

Thats ok Jean, when you been on here a while you will see that we are well known for liking the odd biccy or two, so much so that its become a thing on here about us!!!

Glad you are happy, bet the drive home was lovely and quiet!! will send you them photos tonight once i have up loaded them, thats a nice ride you have there, nice spec as well,

Oh, Colin is me and Dave is the grey old chap:D:D

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Loud one is Colin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Okay guys, just got back a few minutes ago from MBS, and what a service! Colin and Dave (although I'm not sure who was who!) obviously know what they are doing as they explained a lot of things about my particular model that I didn't know about myself. You just know when you talk to them that they are dedicated and interested in their work. I was shown what was done on my car and was even shown the broken bits of the inside of the Cat, which I'd never seen before.

If someone who hasn't tried them yet is reading this, take my word for it and forget the main realer next time. I was amazed at the total bill as well, the figure in my mind was a lot bigger than what I was actually charged. Keep things short, I found that little place I can take my car to and trust the hands working on it.

Big thanks to everyone who suggest them to me!

I got back this afternoon from having my B service, I had to take Lilian with me, now lilian does not know so much about cars, but on the way home she said she watched Colin as he worked flawlessly around the car and was amazed at the speed and confidence of the way he worked, and carried out the work, OK it may not sound like much, but if you knew Lilian, that was the highest compliment that anyone could get, I will add that I was very pleased too:D:D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom