Tuneit Advantage 3 box - 350CDI tune

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Not heard of that one but many on market and for good reason .

Do you have throttle pedal lag / delay ?

By which you press the pedal to go after stopping at a junction or roundabout and the car doesn't move for a second or so , the car doesn't move with your foot .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Here we go again....
These boxes (contrary to what another poster on this thread will say) do nothing more than alter the profile of the throttle pedal response. You can get the same result by learning to use the throttle pedal correctly.
If you're looking for performance gains do it properly with a remap. These boxes simply fool the engine map by changing the reported values from sensors.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
If you must go for something like this then take up their try before you buy offer.

Speak to your insurers BEFORE going any further to ensure what their premium increase will be.

I agree entirely with what LostKiwi says.

But maybe read this thread on remapping, and look at forum sponsor GAD

NJSS

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Love it .

White papers , theory , entrenched views, Outback Joe , ignorance , thousands of people's reviews , 30 day money back and YouTube tube videos etc .

Always go with what happens in the real world , do 225 tyres measure 225mm , quite often not !

I'm decades into an automotive career , others are decades in front of a computer screen believing what they read....

I'm not on this earth to report falsely and yes performance air filters and non ecu piggy back tuning boxes are a bad idea .

Screenshot_20220420-121405_Chrome.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Love it .

White papers , theory , entrenched views, Outback Joe , ignorance , thousands of people's reviews , 30 day money back and YouTube tube videos etc .

Always go with what happens in the real world , do 225 tyres measure 225mm , quite often not !

I'm decades into an automotive career , others are decades in front of a computer screen believing what they read....

I'm not on this earth to report falsely and yes performance air filters and non ecu piggy back tuning boxes are a bad idea .

View attachment 76208
Even the bloke you linked above thinks it just changed the profile of the response curve (exactly as found in multiple white papers).

The OPs title is about the Tunit advantage 3 which is the piggyback tuning box.
Like said - bad idea.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
What type is it ?

Not forgetting the better Brabus and JB4 .

So can you see the flaw in the Dick Bipes 'white paper' ?

Last edited:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Whatever it is any product claim for performance improvement is best measured by consistently timing and or before and after dyno print outs .

RaceChip got took to court in Stuttgart for their outlandish tuning box claims , for my car they originally quoted over double the torque of GAD etc .

Then there was that damming Darkside dyno vid on some not so cheap tuning boxes .

This saw a featured brand and forum sponsor somewhere else leave the forum .

OP
D

DrDougster77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 C350CDI Blue Efficiency
I am thinking seriously about the GAD tuning option - I have lurked for a while. My intention is to ship the car to Australia where we now live. It would make sense economically and I love the car - it's a pre facelift 2010 W204 C class estate so a proper dadmobile. One of the claims on the tuneit box is not altering the manufacturer's limits on the engine which I thought was a specific intention of a remap.
As suggested It would be interesting to do the try before you buy and do some of your own measurements. This would obviously be well short of a dyno run...

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
GAD will get the results alright , many a satisfied customer here , very accurate and honest dyno .

Primarily a box will use a resistor to fool the sensor readings to the ecu from either the fuel pressure sensor or fuel temperature sensor to get increased fuel rail pressure , this is often dangerous and above safe limits that a remap would offer , bad for the fuel rail and injectors .

The extra fuel used isn’t reported correctly in fact I think the ecu is so confused it reports an undereading hense these boxes claim a substantial fuel saving .

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I am thinking seriously about the GAD tuning option - I have lurked for a while. My intention is to ship the car to Australia where we now live. It would make sense economically and I love the car - it's a pre facelift 2010 W204 C class estate so a proper dadmobile. One of the claims on the tuneit box is not altering the manufacturer's limits on the engine which I thought was a specific intention of a remap.
As suggested It would be interesting to do the try before you buy and do some of your own measurements. This would obviously be well short of a dyno run...

I have the same car mapped by @GAD Tuning LTD 6 years ago, still makes me smile, makes a fast car a VERY fast car, in gear acceleration is amazing. I have to keep the large digital speedo on the dash as you really don't realise how fast they pick speed up

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
Just chiming in for my two pence: I have insured my car for the (visual) modifications I am aware of however I suspect it may have been mapped yet it wasn’t declared on any previous sales. Given the price of visual mods that have been done I would be very surprised if a performance mod hasn’t been employed. Are there any tuning companies like GAD that can confirm if it has been mapped previously, can revert or enhance the tune? I want to make sure I continue to ensure the car appropriately. Any advice on the price increase or insurers that support performance/economy tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
Ive just had my E350 cdi remapped for economy. No discernable loss of power but its much smoother and is giving several more mpg around town. Looking forward to taking it on a longer run next week to see what it does then.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Ive just had my E350 cdi remapped for economy. No discernable loss of power but its much smoother and is giving several more mpg around town. Looking forward to taking it on a longer run next week to see what it does then.
Fascinated by this, how do you map for economy?
Have you before and after data? Are you doing calculations or using the dash info?

Not_Anumber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E350cdi prefaclift
i haven't put it on a dyno and Ive based fuel consumption on trips to the filling station.
It drove well before but is noticeably smoother now.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
It is possible but only on something that doesn't achieve as good mpg as one would expect .

Classic example was when my 2.1 OM651 was collected hundreds of miles away on the return both trips were reset and on Pop's 1.7 crdi estate .
Both recording the same mpg , so what is the point of a 1.7 estate when most have a 2.0 .

The 1.7 got remapped not an economy file and then the mpg improved .

An economy remap was put on an gf's 1.5 dCi , trouble is it was already doing 59mpg , it didn't improve so might aswell of had the full beans version.

It did improve driveabilty , what it did was give a guff of low rpm torque to enable the next higher gear to be used thus in theory improving economy .

For years she kept checking it was in 6th thinking it might be 4th due to it's eagerness .

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
I’m still mulling it over and may get someone to check if I already have a map. The gearbox isn’t as smooth as I would like, especially when cold, and I think I should be getting a little better MPG. A gearbox service and remap (back to original?) are in order. It’s a matter of when and not if. If the insurance supports it I may go for an “improvement” remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom