Tuner Aerial Leads

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
I've had a read through many TV tuner posts, on here and other MB sites, and cannot find what I'm looking for.

I suppose I could have a look myself, but I've never taken the trim off behind the seats and don't imagine it to be a few minutes job. In a SL500 (R230), are the four aerial connectors that fit into the tuner joined together or can they be unplugged individually? From pictures I can see the cables are separate, but it's not clear about the connectors.

Does anyone know whether the cable is 50 or 75ohms?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Any of 4 antenna wires on that plug on the tuner will drive, I have always used the one furthest away, just cut the lead from the plug as the old system is not used any more anywhere and splice it to a TV antenna lead, its all 50Ω cable hence the need for amps. A 75Ω cable will be too heavy and hard to splice, so just take a standard antenna cable chop off the female end and you have the coax plug already fitted, if you need to use an F connector, then it has to be 75Ω with a solid conductor.

OP
D

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
Thanks Malcolm.

I wanted to avoid splicing, if possible. 1) I'd like to be able to put the car back to standard, if necessary. 2) I'm not sure I'd get it right. 3) Even if it did work, I'd probably make a mess of it.

I was hoping that the connector was not a single block and I can just pull one out individually?

I am looking to get a short (15cm) adapter cable made up to the F connector.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The old TV system still worked fine by cutting the one the furthest in, it was only used on some system not used in the UK,,, where you will get a Wisi clik socket from I have no idea

OP
D

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
You're right, the cable is proving a challenge, but I have some leads... if you'll excuse the pun :) Are the four connectors joined together?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nope there is an amp with 4 outputs,,, if you cut the last lead off 1" from the connector you can always put it back

OP
D

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
Thanks for the replies Malcolm. I'm sure I'll be back many times once I've collected all the parts together. Other than a few simple items, I've not done much myself on this car, but I'm determined to get stuck in - I miss (listening to) my morning dose of BBC Breakfast on the way to work.

So I could pull out just one WISI connector, leaving the other three still attached to the analogue tuner, and plug my adapter cable into the "loose" connector?

If I end up having to throw in the towel on my hunt for an adapter cable, I will take your advice a cut the lead off away from the connector. I've already got your thread with the pictures of this step bookmarked ready.

OP
D

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
Sorry, by "joined together" I mean just the WISI connections being moulded as a single unit or individually. I see that the cables themselves are separate.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You have no choice but to cut the lead off and splice, I have always done it this way

OP
D

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
So the four WISI connectors are moulded together?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are, and it is the moulding I think that keeps it in place and not the actual connectors, but the system will never be used again as all of the wavebands are being sold off for other purposes

OP
D

DidgeD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500
Thanks Malcolm. Not what I was hoping for, but if I pull all four connectors out of the tuner, will it still work? Does it need to "see" aerial cables connected or is it dumb in that respect? I am assuming that power is fed directly to the amp. Is this correct?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That whole system is redundant you can pull them all out, a digi system plugs into the aux and the front end of the old tuner is not used anymore

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom