Turbo gone??

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Iv bought the engine £900 vat inc and delivery inc, just need someone to fit it! I’m gona sell it when it’s fitted! But I will expect more 19k new engine and a 14plate 1.5 a class!? Iv tang merc garage speaking to someone Monday if as a good will gesture they will do some deal with me

If it had full MB history and serviced on time you may have a chance. If the last service was at a VAT reg garage using MB parts you may still have a chance but it's slim. Goodwill would normally means they will do the work at a reduced rate or F.O.C. depending on the circumstances. They will not fit a second hand engine for you and I doubt they will contribute to it.

Re the engine swap, yes it only has 19k but it doesn't look good on a 5 year old car IMO. I don't think it is worth a huge premium

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
Bad predicament to be in! Must be talking 9k for it when the new engines in surely! Do the newer a classes have the same Renault engine in?

Anyone any good advice on what’s best to do if really appreciate it

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
If it had full MB history and serviced on time you may have a chance. If the last service was at a VAT reg garage using MB parts you may still have a chance but it's slim. Goodwill would normally means they will do the work at a reduced rate or F.O.C. depending on the circumstances. They will not fit a second hand engine for you and I doubt they will contribute to it.

Re the engine swap, yes it only has 19k but it doesn't look good on a 5 year old car IMO. I don't think it is worth a huge premium

Surely the car is worth an extra grand with a newish engine as it’s the brain of the car and worth nothing without it! Does the newer 16plate and above a classes have the same engine?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Did you get a second opinion before swapping eninges etc?

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
Did you get a second opinion before swapping eninges etc?

No the car isn’t drivable, Iv ordered the engine, what are my options? I really need some help I’m looking at just under 2k out of pocket

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No the car isn’t drivable, Iv ordered the engine, what are my options? I really need some help I’m looking at just under 2k out of pocket

Any good garage will arrange recovery to them if the car isn't driveable etc. I feel its probably worth getting a second opinion before spending 3k on swapping the engine.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
'If' you can cancel the replacement engine,
it's worth considering advertising as is.

Someone seeing the potential to make profit on their own labours may be a better option than paying some one that profit and still be at risk that things aren't as good as you hope for at the other end.

To my mind you still have the mystery of what happened, turbo oil seal, piston rings, head gasket......

I remember the days when Merc would supply other manufacturers with their engine and auto boxes. Not blaming you but I wouldn't want a Merc that's no better than a Renault.

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
What sport type merc would you recommend I’m tempted to stay away from the a class now

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
Do you think I could claim against the garage he still won’t tell me the exact problem! Also he told me to carry on using the car for 2 weeks till it was booked in! I find it funny how he serviced and did the brakes not long ago and this happens to a car that isn’t that old and had plenty of life life in it. Maybe my insurers can claim against his garage? Negligence

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The verbal response of you to carry on using it is easily denied, and could be viewed as you taking the risk upon your self anyway. Anyone can make claim for anything in our society, the success is another question.

Until you know the cause you aren't able to atribute any blame, or realistically level any accusations.

It has been suggested that a 2nd opinion has value, there of course you must weigh up any additional cost against any likely return for that outlay. In my view, unless 'another' could and would report a failure or interference by the 1st you would be wasting your time. Of course there is advantage of comprehensive diagnosis. You can't decide on the most effective resolution w/o that understanding.

What car next is a big question. It isn't my place to say as my research of late has been into the better Vito / Viano for my purposes. As I percieve we are all being led down a path of becoming more dependant on MB for analasis, software updates and SCN coding by there continual development of what look, to me, to be an increase in chocolate engine design, I have chosen an engine that is more basic in design, going back to 1998.

SL's, SLK's, GLA's..... all look fantastic. Aside from being beyond range of my pocket, and I've no interest in PIP's or whatever they are, and aside from skinning tyres on tight turns I'm sure the owners love 'em.
Going back to a 'car' the 203 estate would be my choice, and I would pay a premium for a good one. Since I don't crave power the 220CDI (646 engine of course) would suffice, but I owned a 320CDI with lots of toys and it was lovely. I would only be put off by the inlet port shut off motor issue along with collapsing inlet manifold flaps, oil cooler 9 hour 'o' ring replacement, rear crankshaft seal failures, the more involved peizo injectors (come attention time), and their tendancy to burn out the glow plug controller if a glow plug gives out.
Otherwise great.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
Ok here’s the update....
One garage saying the bottom end has gone on my engine
Mercedes say I need a new turbo and possible pdf after!
Iv had it toed to another garage and he’s going to recondition the turbo then maybe dpf for 1k then we will check the engine!
I’m really fed up with the cost of a car I bought for 12k 18months ago! This shouldn’t be happening so early into the cars life!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok here’s the update....
One garage saying the bottom end has gone on my engine
Mercedes say I need a new turbo and possible pdf after!
Iv had it toed to another garage and he’s going to recondition the turbo then maybe dpf for 1k then we will check the engine!
I’m really fed up with the cost of a car I bought for 12k 18months ago! This shouldn’t be happening so early into the cars life!

I think Mercedes's diagonsis is more correct than the others, based purely on symptoms. Most engines with blown bottom ends run fine, but knock very loudly.

If your turbo failed, spewed oil into the inlet, this would make lots of white/blue smoke, and would fill the DPF up with oil, if driven long enough.

A turbo replacement is not too complicated, and as long as the engine has not run away, is likely to be the end of it.

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
I think Mercedes's diagonsis is more correct than the others, based purely on symptoms. Most engines with blown bottom ends run fine, but knock very loudly.

If your turbo failed, spewed oil into the inlet, this would make lots of white/blue smoke, and would fill the DPF up with oil, if driven long enough.

A turbo replacement is not too complicated, and as long as the engine has not run away, is likely to be the end of it.

That gives me hope! That most bottom ends run fine!
The mechanic said tell Mercedes to rev over 4000 and you will here it the Mercedes mechanic said no it will cause more damage!
So as it stands the turbo is getting reconditioned then the possible dpf cleaned if needed! Then I can drive the god damn thing to a garage and sell it! It’s been a nightmare and very costly so far!

Fingers crossed

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
Update...
the turbo reconditioned for 1k and boom it works and runs fine no engine noise so maybe Iv got away with that, now I’m debating having the cam belt changed?! It’s 5years old and on 87k miles anybody reckon i could leave it longer?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update...
the turbo reconditioned for 1k and boom it works and runs fine no engine noise so maybe Iv got away with that, now I’m debating having the cam belt changed?! It’s 5years old and on 87k miles anybody reckon i could leave it longer?

Perfect, much as we suspected!

Would have made sense to do the belt at the same time no?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure what you need input on here.
Engines dead. You got a new one. Now you just need. Decent garage to replace it.
Sad thing is Merc don’t do small engines. They never have. They use Renault in these cars and Renaults are not the best cars now are they.

He is saying, that despite 2 diagnosis of a failed engine, he has now replaced the turbo and the car is running fine.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
He is saying, that despite 2 diagnosis of a failed engine, he has now replaced the turbo and the car is running fine.

Yea apologies I was reading the wrong page on my mobile.

Regarding the timing belt get it done. 5 years is the limit to be in the safe side

OP
D

Dangedan9

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A class 2014 a180
Yea apologies I was reading the wrong page on my mobile.

Regarding the timing belt get it done. 5 years is the limit to be in the safe side
It’s been 5 years next month, but I want to sell it in the next 2/3 months so hoping I don’t need to do it?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess it's weighing up the cost of replacing against any increased value of having it done with reciept as proof.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom