Tyre Sealant

Ant1952

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E class 220d Estate
I've heard that using Tyre Sealant to repair a puncture on a run flat will prove fatal for the tyre and make it impossible for a professional to repair the puncture. Any truth in this?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I remember looking this up years ago, so I looked again ;

Tyreweld has been developed by our Research and Development team to repair your tyre temporarily without causing damage. The water based foam seals punctures and won’t damage your tyres in any way. It can be wiped out of tyres easily, so a mechanic can repair the puncture permanently.

You should tell your mechanic before they remove the tyre that you’ve used Tyreweld and that it can be cleaned out. Some mechanics might not be familiar with Tyreweld’s formula, so it is worth letting them know.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Could be the case for a specific brand of tyre sealant (ie tyreweld) as noted above, not sure about the others as it may have chemicals inside which is incompatable to the plugs used in a repair

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
My C300 has space under the boot floor that would easily be large enough to take a full size spare if it was re-shaped somewhat, but what did the car come with? A fold-up plastic crate to hold small items, a cargo net, and the tyre repair goop, pump and first aid kit. I'd rather have had a spare wheel.

I'd be reluctant to use the goop supplied, as I've been told that it can ruin the tyre or make it unrepairable, but I read somewhere recently about something similar that can be squirted into a healthy tyre to make it almost puncture proof, claimed to last for years. I can't remember any details, but Halfords were mentioned as a supplier, anyone know any more or have experience of this stuff?

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Just bought the Parkside equivalent from Lidl for £3.99 as a back-up system. The text on the can implies the tyre can be repaired afterwards and not written off.

How would the, repair it as it happens goop, affect the wheel balance? (I do use this stuff in the lawnmower because I got fed up with blackthorn spike punctures.)

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Tyre fitters hate goop but it does not make it impossible to repair.
It's a commonly used excuse to sell a new tyre.

However....
Any tyre that has been driven whilst flat will likely be toast.
If you haven't over heated the tyre and caught it whilst soft it should be fine to repair.

Last edited:

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
I used the goop on a regular tire (not run flat) after getting a flat from driving over a screw. Left the screw in and drove 120 km home. Got the tire repaired the next day and the tire fitter couldn't have cared less about the goop. The goop is evened out by centrifugal force after initial application and actually improoves the balance of the tire.

Continental has a repair kit for for run flats and have instructions on their website on how to remove goop and apply their patch if memory serves me correctly.

Phillip Butler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350D Shooting brake
Just to let you know that most Auto makers no longer include spare wheels/tyres with their cars because of the cost and the extra weight.
Welcome to the 21st century!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just to let you know that most Auto makers no longer include spare wheels/tyres with their cars because of the cost and the extra weight.
Our R Class it was an option which the first owner never selected.
Compressor (which was missing) and goop (which was not).....

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Just make sure if you use it that it's cleaned out properly.
When I first bought my bike I put some stuff in my tyres that was supposed to stop blowouts,maybe it did but I found out later that it corroded the alloy wheels.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300

Strange isn't it? If buyers were offered the option of a spare, probably a narrow space saver in the case of many MBs due to different sizes front and rear, I'd put money on about 99% of them ticking that box, so what happened to customer choice, and who ever bought an MB with the intention of saving a bit of money? Also the weight argument is rather suspect, my C300 came with a load of extras in the space under the boot floor that must have weighed at least as much as a space saver spare. With re-shaping, available space under the boot floor is ample to take a skinny spare as well as all the other stuff I've already mentioned in a previous post. The other stuff just arrived with the car, no customer choice involved there.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In my opinion a spare tyre is largely pointless unless it's full sized - especially in smaller cars.
What's the point of a space saver when once you need to use it you can't fit the flat tyre back in the same hole? If your boot is full of luggage where does it go?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
what i do, if i come out to a flat tyre, i try pumping it up, if it goes down almost immediately, then the hole is too big for the gloop to work anyway. if it stays up for 20 mins, i top it up and drive to my closest tyre shop for a repair.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom