1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Tracking

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by BAZZER1, Aug 26, 2011.

1. BAZZER1

BAZZER1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
    Can anyone advise please, Just about to have new front tyres fitted so phoned a local Tyre fitting Shop to also have the tracking checked on my E320cdi Avantgarde, been told that I will probably have to have camber kits kits fitted at a cost of about £110 before the tracking can be done, is this normal practice to have to have these fitted when the tracking is required, seems a bit steep to me !
    Anyone else had this experience
    Bazzer1

2. wheels-inmotion

wheels-inmotion Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Rubbish, you only need the adjuster bolts fitted if the camber or castor angles are wrong. Basic wheel alignment adjusts the longitudinal toe angle from the steering arms, should cost around £40

3. MisterMicawber

MisterMicawber Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220/2001/diesel
    Personally, my experience of tyre fitting workshops checking tracking has been very poor. Unless they have high quality equipment they don't seem to get the settings correct and the car and steering still feel unbalanced.

An MOT tester advised me to find a garage with a Hunter machine and have the four-wheel alignment done properly on that. It took me a while to track one down but eventually found this one:
    http://surreynewmini.forumotion.com/t1499-full-four-wheel-geometry-alignment-at-svg-on-a-hunter-machine

This particular garage charged about £70 for my C220 - £20 to test the current settings and £50 to make the necessary adjustments. The result was fantastic. The car now feels perfectly poised, like new. I'm hoping my uneven tyre wear will have been reduced, too.

After reading about alignment on internet forums, I was also wondering if I would need adjuster bolts. But there was no suggestion of that and the adjustments were all reset back to within a whisker of the recommended settings. (Unlike the Mini referred to in the link above!)

Incidentally, I'm open to correction, but I believe Hunter makes the machines Mercedes uses in its workshops but rebranded for Mercedes instead of carrying the Hunter name.

(I should add that the reference to SVG in the link above means Station View Garage in Dorking. Probably not much use to you but I thought I should mention it anyway.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011