Tyre wear on shoulder of tyre

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Last year I found heavy wear on my front NS tyre on the inner shoulder, really only the top inner edge, all the rest was about 7mm. Had a Hunter check and adjusted and have been looking every few days to check, yesterday while checking pressures I noticed it was starting again same wheel but now on the outer edge. In February my indie changed one track rod end and one drop link. Could this be the cause?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Was the Hunter check before or after the work by the Indy?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
In February my indie changed one track rod end and one drop link. Could this be the cause?

Yes, you should have had alignment done after the parts were changed

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Yep, always re-align after changing any steering or suspension geometry part.

Only happening on one tyre suggest something out in the geometry of that one corner, or that the pressure on that one tyre is incorrect.

OP
barnaclebill15

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Have had this car for four years, it has had unusual tyre wear on the front tyres and it has been on Hunter equipment three times and they have never found really bad problems just slight adjustment needed.
This time as it is on the outside I have seen it sooner and it is getting done on Hunter tomorrow, I am going to photo the readings before and after, I have a photo of the previous readings after adjustment.

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
If its only on one wheel its more likely to be damaged suspension than toe in adjustment, if the toe in is wrong both tyres will normally wear the edges out, the outside edge if its toeing in to much and inside if its toeing out. I have had faulty tyres cause this as well.

Peter

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Both toe and camber are individual to each wheel.

It could be that the tie rod end was not set correctly when changed, it could be the suspension has had a knock.

Top Bottom