Tyres and 'MO'

Patsy9

Reaction score
Hi folks

I am relatively new to this forum.

Could I ask when you are buying new tyres, do they have to be MO which I believe relates to the ESP and ABS features? Further would this affect your insurance if they are not?

I am looking at buying 2 new tyres for my CLK. Could someone advise which would be better (i am looking for good road holding in wet conditions)

Pirelli P7

Continental Sport Contact

Looked at Michelin Pilot Sport, but not recommended for good road holding when wet!, Starting to have information overload reading reviews etc. :confused:

Thanks

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
If you ask Mercedes or the tyre manufacturers, they will probably insist you use MO tyres as they were designed for your car.

My MB dealer on the other hand, replaced the tyres on their courtesy car with non MO Federals. So they obviously don't follow MB advice, why should you?

Your insurance company will not care as long as the tyres adhere to European standards etc, being MO is mostly irrelevant.

Russ

OP
P

Patsy9

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your reply Russ. This helps to narrow down the purchasing process.:rolleyes:

Patsy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes you can use any tyres on your car, no premium make of tyre could affect your insurance

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Ok thanks for your reply Russ. This helps to narrow down the purchasing process.:rolleyes:

Patsy

Mine came with Conti's which were good, I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenzas which I do not like in the wet. Currently using Goodyear F1 GS3D's which are also good.

Russ

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
You do not have to fit MO tyres and your insurance will not be affected if you don't.

Apart from fitting the right size the only other variables are the load and speed ratings which your tyre dealer will confirm for your car.

My car wears Continental Premium Contact 2 (which actually are MO but that was not by choice, it was just what was available) and their performance is fine in the wet as far as I'm concerned.

Read the tyre tests here http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres for more info on suitability for your needs.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
It's a load of old cock !! .......... I've seen so many "MO" tyres on models like mine with "MO" written on them , it's untrue ..................... Your car will not self distruct in 10 seconds if you fit tyres without the "MO" on them ....in fact, with a little hlep from a good tyre fitter........ you could enhance your ride!!

And who's gonna turn down a better ride then they had yesterday ............ lol

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Hi folks

I am relatively new to this forum.

Could I ask when you are buying new tyres, do they have to be MO which I believe relates to the ESP and ABS features? Further would this affect your insurance if they are not?

I am looking at buying 2 new tyres for my CLK. Could someone advise which would be better (i am looking for good road holding in wet conditions)

Pirelli P7

Continental Sport Contact

Looked at Michelin Pilot Sport, but not recommended for good road holding when wet!, Starting to have information overload reading reviews etc. :confused:

Thanks

I'm using Pilot Sport tyres and find them very capable in the wet, far better than the Pilot Primacy I had before. The dry handling is truely awesome! :cool:

"MO" merely shows the tyre has been assessed and approved by MB. The exact same tyre can be found without the MO label and will be identical in construction / compound. Many other marques have recommended tyres

I have never found any price difference between "MO" and non "MO"

Last edited:
OP
P

Patsy9

Reaction score
Many thanks guys for all of your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience.

Special thanks to Antijam for providing the Black Circle link. I have ordered through this website and even got a discount!:D:D:D. This also lets me have the tyres fitted at my tried and trusted local independent MB garage.,:cool:

Patsy

type49

Reaction score
Mine came with Conti's which were good, I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenzas which I do not like in the wet. Currently using Goodyear F1 GS3D's which are also good.

Russ

GY F1s are very good in the wet but we have had a few complaints about road noise. I drove an S500 (220) with 4 new F1s on it & I must admit, it did howl a bit at certain speeds/road surfaces.:shock:

type49

Reaction score
Just remembered, quite a few Continentals have been cracking/splitting on the inner wall - fronts only. I believe there was a bad batch & now seem OK but worth people checking anyway.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I use Michelin Primacy HP - a relatively new version of the Primacy, which is far better than the old version.

I got mine through etyres. They're pretty competitive and come to you to fit your tyres.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I use Michelin Primacy HP - a relatively new version of the Primacy, which is far better than the old version.

I got mine through etyres. They're pretty competitive and come to you to fit your tyres.

I looked at E tyres and they seem to be ok if you want a named brand they list, but they do a 'budget,midrange,premium' offer but don't list what the brand will be. Given that even premium brands like Pirelli and Goodyear have tyres that perform badly, its not a risk you can take. You cpuld end up with any old rubbish.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Full marks

Many thanks guys for all of your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience.

Special thanks to Antijam for providing the Black Circle link. I have ordered through this website and even got a discount!:D:D:D. This also lets me have the tyres fitted at my tried and trusted local independent MB garage.,:cool:

Patsy

Full marks for the feedback Patsy. You are an example to us all - it is always good to know if the advice given has helped, and particularly so when you get a good result like this.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom