Uncomfortable reading for MB - rejecting a car

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for MB and only about 0.01% for his dealer.

Yes, cars do wrong but they sold him a product and he was entitled not only to warranty rectification but the reliability the marque professed to offer. Also, where normally a loan car and warranty repairs rather grudgingly solve the issues, with a case like this he should be able to reject the car and MB should voluntarily (there's a thought, now!) provide a bundle of wonga to compensate him for the embarrassment and dreadful inconvenience and persuade him to remain in the fold.

Such a sad outcome - if they extracted their short thick digit on the side of their hand from their respective rear chambers, they could have been controlling a media success story a la "How MB restored my faith in a motor manufacturer..."

Like I said, no sympathy for them - but bags of sympathy for the owner.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Terrible behaviour by both the dealer and Mercedes. It should not be necessary for the ombudsman to tell the supplier of the car about the customer's rights. Appalling behaviour.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Appalling. Sadly becoming the norm in retail world - the desperate hope that people will idly take whatever BS is thrown at them, at whatever cost! :mad:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
That's one horror story....

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
It's no surprise. I'm waiting for the ombudsman to decide on my issues. Dealers blamed other branch and vice versa. Merc customer service useless and listened to dealer lies.
Glad the customer got an outcome eventually but the stress and inconvenience is huge.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
M B customer service crap unless you are standing with a fat cheque book or fistfuls of cash and willing to part with it.

Too sweet to be wholesome.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I can sympathise with him and its shame that customers are treated like this. The sheer stress caused by the inconvenience and duration of such scenarios is horrendous. The longer it goes on, the harder it may become to turn back the clock.

I also find that the suppliers (dealers, brokers etc) are quite bold/threatening in their responses when people really have had enough and just want a refund/return etc. People are also intimidated about going down the legal route with these robbing dealers and manufacturers thinking the big man always wins. More people should as generally newer stuff is seriously questionable in my experience now.

I bought a 1995 BMW M5, approved used BMW with 15,000 miles back in 2000. It seemed to lack a bit of grunt compared to a couple I had driven at the time. BMW said there was nothing wrong with it and told me to do one. I requested a return for a refund which was declined. No problem, off to my solicitor I went, who promptly showed BMW who has the bigger stick. BMW changed their tune and were now only more than happy to address the issue seriously. They took 6 months to fit a fit a new engine with a bit more solicitor action in between (ordered top end first, wouldn't quite fit, then a new bottom end wouldn't work, so then they just got a complete engine). Car was superb once run in after that!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nowadays it seems that MB will respond poorly in these circumstances- shame as it seems constantly they are content to use their customers as guinea pigs for new products ....

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
This sort of thing that puts me off changing my car!

Having said that, I note the first paragraph of the article says "I purchased a new Mercedes-Benz B250e on a two-year personal contract hire plan from a broker, with the car supplied via Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire."

I mean, how messy is that from the point-of-view of trying to enforce your rights? It's not even correct that he purchased the vehicle - he rented it for 2yrs.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This sort of thing that puts me off changing my car!

Having said that, I note the first paragraph of the article says "I purchased a new Mercedes-Benz B250e on a two-year personal contract hire plan from a broker, with the car supplied via Mercedes-Benz Hertfordshire."

I mean, how messy is that from the point-of-view of trying to enforce your rights? It's not even correct that he purchased the vehicle - he rented it for 2yrs.

I tried the lease thing twice and in my opinion its the newest and cleverest way of screwing the consumer. Anyway, prior to taking out the lease, via a broker who was much cheaper than the dealers, when I asked, 'what if there is a problem that the dealer fails to fix or an issue is ongoing'? The brokers response was, 'its their car, so its in their interest also that the car is in good working order and can help support any issues that I feel the dealer is not addressing'. However, once the money is handed over their laughing.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I was surprised that Tesla components are being used by MB. Tesla seem in fact to be far worse than MB for customer service. MB and other major manufacturers continue to totally ignore consumer legislation. It's about time they were taken to the cleaners on these issues.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
whilst some of my experience is MB its my view that the ONLY time we have any real leverage with a dealer/maker (prob any of them!!) is just before we hand over the cheque and or sign ,after which all bets are off. in many ways one is better to buy used, nearly new. as the previous owner will have dealt with most ,if any dramas and you CAN find out the dealer/factory warranty and service record, thus some idea of if or not its a lemon.. for me when one buys new ,one is often an unwilling part of R&D at yr expence..

Reactions: DSK

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
MB/Tesla.
Now that's real badge engineering!
Is nothing sacred these days?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It’s a David and Goliath situation unfortunately and until consumer rights catch-up with the US in this country nothing will change and things only seem to be getting worse, unfortunately we have a government In the EU/UK who seem complicit with this which is no surprise.... roll-on Brexit

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
MB/Tesla.
Now that's real badge engineering!
Is nothing sacred these days?
Hardly badge engineering, NB buying components or assemblies from a supplier. How is it any different to the standardised door latches from Brose, or the standardised wiper drives from Valeo (who are way bigger than Tesla).....?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Hardly badge engineering, NB buying components or assemblies from a supplier. How is it any different to the standardised door latches from Brose, or the standardised wiper drives from Valeo (who are way bigger than Tesla).....?

Brose don't make cars. Neither do Valeo.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
someone said " i am a little nervous sat on top of ,basically a balistic missile full of explosive fuel ,built by the lowest bidder. think that applies very much to manufactured goods and prob all cars today,with fewer of the safeguards,if any. they have managed to turn us all into permanent consumers,like it or not. and wriggling and avoiding the same is almost a job in itself.

Reactions: DSK

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
It’s a David and Goliath situation unfortunately and until consumer rights catch-up with the US in this country nothing will change and things only seem to be getting worse, unfortunately we have a government In the EU/UK who seem complicit with this which is no surprise.... roll-on Brexit
Agreed, but if you read posts on US car forums (on any make) , owners still have the same issues as we do trying to get refunds. "Lemon" legislation only applies in very restricted circumstances apparently and even then, consumers seem to struggle to get their money back or a replacement car. I'm sure it's the same in any country. Quite why we allow car manufacturers and retailers to sell us sometimes very duff products I don't know. It's not put up with in any other retail sector.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom