uncomfortable seats

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
My R172 seats are more comfortable than my leather sofa's which are also powered recliners.. The only improvement would be a cooling system on the seat backs for those sweltering days where my back sticks to the leather..

Reactions: DSK

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My R172 seats are more comfortable than my leather sofa's which are also powered recliners.. The only improvement would be a cooling system on the seat backs for those sweltering days where my back sticks to the leather..
Wear a shirt… ;)

Coolhand

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 C250 (W205) Premium Plus AMG Line Night Edition;
Yes, I find the seats tend to "push" me in the shoulders and upper back after about 45mins... Horrible.

I find there is not much lower back support, and its all up high, making me hunch in the seat.

I can use the lumbar support to help, but that tends to give me neck ache.

I can also tilt the seatback back, but then I cant quite reach the steering wheel and end up with pain in the shoulders and upper back from stretching. It would be better if I could move the wheel closer to me, but its already at max. If I move the whole seat forward I struggle to move my foot from the accelerator to the brake quickly.

I see that newer mercs have a feature where you tell the car your height and it sets the seat up for you... presumably because they are so uncomfortable lots of people struggle to set them up correctly.

Its such a shame, because my car is soooo perfect otherwise, and the seats just ruin it.

Ian2024

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class, 2018
I bought a Mercedes C200 SE (saloon, 2018, auto, petrol) a couple of days ago, and the seats are horrible.
I was searching for a workaround and came across this topic. A mistake that every one has taken in this topic is they all consider the driver seat.
While the most uncomfortable seat is the co-driver seat (the front passenger seat).

We went on a short journey with my wife and she was very unsatisfied with the seat, then we changed our seats, I realised that it is really uncomfortable.
The main problem is that it is impossible to raise the seat up enough, which prevents your hip level your knees and imposes presure to pelvis during long or short journey.

Drivers dont feel this problem a lot as their leg position on the seat is different from the passenger, since their foot are on the pdeals.

I have searched the Internet a lot, but did not find any helpful tips. It is really disappointing as everything else is fine with this car. I'm gonna return the car, if I cannot find a useful adjustment to the FRONT PASSENGER SEAT HEIGHT.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I bought a Mercedes C200 SE (saloon, 2018, auto, petrol) a couple of days ago, and the seats are horrible.
I was searching for a workaround and came across this topic. A mistake that every one has taken in this topic is they all consider the driver seat.
While the most uncomfortable seat is the co-driver seat (the front passenger seat).

We went on a short journey with my wife and she was very unsatisfied with the seat, then we changed our seats, I realised that it is really uncomfortable.
The main problem is that it is impossible to raise the seat up enough, which prevents your hip level your knees and imposes presure to pelvis during long or short journey.

Drivers dont feel this problem a lot as their leg position on the seat is different from the passenger, since their foot are on the pdeals.

I have searched the Internet a lot, but did not find any helpful tips. It is really disappointing as everything else is fine with this car. I'm gonna return the car, if I cannot find a useful adjustment to the FRONT PASSENGER SEAT HEIGHT.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Sad to hear that. It may be just the lower spec on that car as some passenger seats have height adjustment. If you do return it, try finding one that has the full adjustment for the passenger seat as well. Good luck.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I am 6'1" & my wife is 5', back in the 70's we struggled to find car seats with enough adjustment to suit both of us. Eventually we found Renault did have this adjustment. We had a 5TS, 16TS, 16TX, & finally a 20TS. I still think the 16TX seats were the most comfortable I have ever sat in. At the time we lived in Germany, & regularly drove the 650 miles back home without stopping.
As for Mercedes seats we have found the seats comfortable & plenty of adjustment to suit both of us. Between us we have owned 6 MB's over the last 20 years.

Ian2024

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class, 2018
Thank you all. This MB has plenty of adjustments as well but the problem is even raising its hight to the highest level is not enough for the passenger seat. I realised the highest level of passenger seat is less than the highest level of the driver seat. Anyway, I may go for another model of MB.

Reactions: DSK

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thank you all. This MB has plenty of adjustments as well but the problem is even raising its hight to the highest level is not enough for the passenger seat. I realised the highest level of passenger seat is less than the highest level of the driver seat. Anyway, I may go for another model of MB.

Is the passenger a child ? Or a short person ? Can the passenger not see over the dash ? Sorry I'm a bit confused by your post.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My wife is 5' 00" & has no problem with the hight adjustment in either the drivers or passengers seat.
Between us we have owned two SLK200's, SLC250d, two CLK's, & a 212 E Class.

Ian2024

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class, 2018
My wife is 5' 00" & has no problem with the hight adjustment in either the drivers or passengers seat.
Between us we have owned two SLK200's, SLC250d, two CLK's, & a 212 E Class.
My wife is 5.57 and the highest height of the seat is not enough as the hips cannot level the knees. I'll check these model you advised or may use a seat booster (cushion) to keep this car. Thank you.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Firstly I’m glad someone mentioned the seating position further above, as in my experience most people don’t know how to sit correctly. Then it’s the quality of the seats and adjustments.

I’ve found the E and CLS to just be ok. Able to do circa 3-4 hours non stop and deliver you well enough. However, they are not a patch on Volvo, Saab and Lexus seats for ergonomics. The S class seats are decent. Don’t get me started on the horrific rear seats in most so called prestigious cars, they look and feel like a glorified park bench, in fact I’m sure I’ve sat on better park benches….

Adjustment wise I’ve found Lexus and Mercedes to be really great, allowing my 5ft mother and ex to move a seat and steering wheel, so high, so low, so far forward, so far in any direction that it genuinely leaves me staggered time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My wife is 5.57 and the highest height of the seat is not enough as the hips cannot level the knees. I'll check these model you advised or may use a seat booster (cushion) to keep this car. Thank you.
The seats also have tilt adjustment?

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
I have found the drivers seat in my 07 E350 to be fair when it comes to comfort. As others have mentioned, I have driven other cars whose front bucket seats are more comfortable and take a lot less to make them so. I find that after a couple of hours of driving I do need to stop and stretch to remain comfortable. That being said, I am looking forward to sitting on something that doesn't move after 4 hours of driving.

As I am only ever in the drivers seat of the car, my wife has complained about the rear seat comfort and has done so within an hour of being in the rear seat, which (thankfully) isn't a common occurance.

Ian2024

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class, 2018
Firstly I’m glad someone mentioned the seating position further above, as in my experience most people don’t know how to sit correctly. Then it’s the quality of the seats and adjustments.

I’ve found the E and CLS to just be ok. Able to do circa 3-4 hours non stop and deliver you well enough. However, they are not a patch on Volvo, Saab and Lexus seats for ergonomics. The S class seats are decent. Don’t get me started on the horrific rear seats in most so called prestigious cars, they look and feel like a glorified park bench, in fact I’m sure I’ve sat on better park benches….

Adjustment wise I’ve found Lexus and Mercedes to be really great, allowing my 5ft mother and ex to move a seat and steering wheel, so high, so low, so far forward, so far in any direction that it genuinely leaves me staggered time and time again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks budy. I agree with the rear seats, they are tribble in wide but better than front passenger seat in height. About height adjustment for front seat (ONLY PASSENGER SEAT, not the driver) I think C-class saloons do not allow us to raise the seat a lot. That is my problem. I wish it did not offer many adjustment options but had much more height adjustment levels.
I'll ask MB dealer whether they can rais the seat mechanically.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200
The front seats are great, but in a 2011 Eclass estate they decided to make the rear seats thinner so you can drop the rear seat backs without lifting the seat itself. This makes the rear seats VERY uncomfortable on any ride over 30 mins. Great idea, but more thought should have been used. Maybe they have solved this problem now on the estate.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
The front seats are great, but in a 2011 Eclass estate they decided to make the rear seats thinner so you can drop the rear seat backs without lifting the seat itself. This makes the rear seats VERY uncomfortable on any ride over 30 mins. Great idea, but more thought should have been used. Maybe they have solved this problem now on the estate.
They haven't John77 - the back seats in the 213 are still miserable skinny affairs! The front seats - lovely!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom