1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underbody heat shields.

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by EDX, Nov 28, 2012.

1. EDX

EDX Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    2009, C220 CDI, SE Blue Efficiency, Estate
    The aluminium heat shields in the transmission tunnel have corroded away at some of the mounting points - steel, ally and water don't mix, don't MB know this?
    Is there a simple way to re-secure them or can I just remove them completely as I don't think the exhaust is very hot after the cat. The mounting studs are a whole mess of rust so I'm inclined to junk the shields.

Any advice or useful comments?

2. bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
    Hi,
    The heat shield on my C230K has long gone I have been running like this for a couple of years now with no ill effects, though i still have it sat in my car port in the vain hope that refit it one day.

3. Dec

Dec Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W202
  4. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    id be inclined to leave it on. refit with some large flat washers or similar. whilst they run fine without them, the floor CAN get quite hot above the exhaust (hence why theyre fitted in the 1st place) and a diesel exhaust has enough heat throughout to be able to melt the rear bumper of a 202 if the tailpipes fall off (dont ask how i know!)

5. brandwooddixon

brandwooddixon Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 Bluefficency 2012
    I've found that using large, oversized washers and instant gasket works very well.
    Getting the fixings off can be a pain, but possible. 8mm spanner or mole grips.

Once removed smear a good layer of instant gasket over the side of the washer that will go up against the shield and then some into the fixing. Replace the fixing with the washer in between it and the heatshield.

Works best with a sticky instant gasket.