unleaded in my diesel car

simon tompkins

Reaction score
hi guys i wonder if you can help me,the mrs has put petrol in her diesel c220
2.1 engine,so i had a garage remove the unleaded (they done this by pulling it out through the fuel system)not by dropping the tank and emptying it.they then changed the fuel filter and put diesel in,it started and ran fine so the garage said come and collect it,we've driven it about 10 miles and its cut out whilst driving,we called the aa out and he managed to get it going for about 10 seconds and it cut out again this was after hitting the fuel pump cover and now the dash is showing an epc fault,is this just the fuel pump gone also has the garage done anything wrong by pulling the fuel through the fuel system.

thanks for any info offered simon

lulu

Reaction score
When he, "pulled it through the system", I'm assuming he turned the ignition on and off several times with the hose diconnected at the fuel filter using the pump in the tank to discharge the fuel. If your tank is like mine you'll only be able to remove 2/3 of the fuel this way.
Was it full with petrol?
How far had it been driven on petrol?

The EPC light often suggests you've run out of fuel or, an air leak has been introduced into the system (possibly when replacing the fuel filter?) This, of course, assumes that you haven't already caused damage to the rail pump and/or injectors with the petrol.

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
she had put £20 ponds worth of unleaded fuel in and had drove about 5 miles with it,should the pump make a priming noise also if the fuel rail was damaged would it have driven for 10 or so miles,also when we got it back it was idling better than it was before,obviously because the fuel and carbon deposits have been cleaned out.

thanks simon

LYNALL

Reaction score
If he said he pulled it through he prob meant he used some sort of vacuum set up to pull the fuel out, he wouldnt have pumped it as it would have taken ages.

He may not have got all the petrol out, but if he sucked until no more fuel came out then filled the tank with fresh diesel it should have ran fine.

Being common rail there will be 2 pumps the electric one in the tank and an engine driven mega high pressure one.

Bloke at work did the same thing with his 330d and after loads of hassle a new in tank pump fixed it for good.

If hitting the fuel pump make sit run it sounds like the petrol has shagged the pump and a new pump should be all it will take.

We have quite a few vans come into work incorrectly fueled and thay have to have new high pressure pumps and injectors not cheap! as the pump breaks down due to lack of lubrication and then swarf goes everywhere in the whole system.

Lynall

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It does look like air in the system, and this is why it is not starting. It is said that about 10 liters in a 80 liter tank with diesel is the max without damage,,though many have not had a problem. In a common rail it is the pump that suffers,as is only lubrication comes from the diesel.

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
thanks for your answers guys lets just hope its the fuel pump in the tank
are these pumps expensive ?

thanks simon

LYNALL

Reaction score
I had to change one in my td5 disco was just under £200.

Lynall

psmart

Reaction score
If its any consolation, I used to run on a mix of 33% on the CDI2 ML in harsh winters at the direction of Germans/Austrians. After reading a lot on the subject, Id say to avoid it in general (using petrol), but it did no harm in sub-zero temperatures (-38'c).

One thing on the fuel filter though, mine was replaced a couple of months back and ended up having to replace most of the pipes as they were brittle and fractured. With the garage removing the pipes, depending upon the age of your car, you could find your pipes could be micro-fractured. Get some easy start, squirt into air-filter inlet as your cranking the engine and if it fires, it is a good indicator that you have an air leak.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for your answers guys lets just hope its the fuel pump in the tank
are these pumps expensive ?

thanks simon

This is only the lift pump and should not be affected

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
hi television are you saying it might be the pump in the engine,or will it be more likely the one in the tank.

thanks simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi television are you saying it might be the pump in the engine,or will it be more likely the one in the tank.

thanks simon

I would hope that it is just air in the system,,and that must be the first check

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
well the garage has got back to me and said the pump in the fuel tank isnt doing anything so lets just hope thats all it is

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can we just clear up what car it is exactly is it a 203 220cdi

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
A quick word of warning-I would be very careful here go with TV and suspect an airlock ! Having had it drive 10 miles and assuming its now full of diesel though sugests its not --the pump stopping could just be an electrical fault connection or fuse --check it all out carefully before buying a new one.

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
the garage mechanic does say that the pump doesnt primeand its completely dead,is it still posibble that the fuse has gone when the aa man got it going for about 10 seconds before it stopped again.if ti was airlocked would it stop the pump from priming or making a pumping noise.

thanks simon
the car is a 220 cdi diesel 52 plate

Last edited:
OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
you've got me worried now i also wanted a patent pump fitted they got one from eurocarparts but it was the wrong one,and the garage reckons they dont do the right one,which i find strange so now they have ordered one from mercedes at 110 pound more money

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Simon,,not intended, as said the voltage check would meke sure,,, I do not think that this has ever come up before

OP
S

simon tompkins

Reaction score
no probs television i no you are only giving good advice,i will go to the garage tommorow morning and ask him if he has done a voltage check on the pump
if he has and there's voltage it wqill defo be the pump wouldnt it.also i cant believe eurocarparts dont stock the pump.

simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no probs television i no you are only giving good advice,i will go to the garage tommorow morning and ask him if he has done a voltage check on the pump
if he has and there's voltage it wqill defo be the pump wouldnt it.also i cant believe eurocarparts dont stock the pump.

simon
Thats fine Simon,,,it is so simple to test your pump on 12 volts, and to see if 12 volts is getting to the pump.

I would be more interested in the check with your pump joined up to 12 volts,,this puts any fuel pump cut off circuit out of the question.

I believe that this pump was deleted on later cars,,but I am not sure

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom