Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Dear Stephen,

When you get older you will not need Road Angel, or to drive at 100 mph.

If I infer correctly that your journey was from Helensburgh to Torquay, if you were on the M40, you were lost! Going faster does not alleviate this problem, although it is the commonest reaction of sufferers.

Alex.

No ticket on the M40 - wasn't on it that day. Previous trips along the 40 would have got me in trouble but the road angel saved me. Shame it doesn't deal with dark blue volvo V70's.

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
I do the 153 mile journey to Herts on the A303 many times a year,, mainly at speeds of 75-80 mph,, this spring on a lovely morning I set off with the roof down, and did no more than 60 mph and the difference in time was only 8 mins at my coffee break point, 120 miles down the line

Driving down at 70mph to brum as opposed to 100mph on this occasion is about an hrs difference. The 70mph driver is at Manchester by the time the 100mph driver is @ Birmingham. Thats fairly significant.

On the way up I was law abiding but it took 90mins longer than it would have done, although I did use 1/4 tank less fuel.

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
Like Alex, I drive a lot slower than I used to - but on a clear day / quietish motorway it's still too easy to creep up to a speed that would attract attention, especially in these days of arbitrary ticket issuing without any real regard to road safety. - that's why I was particularly interested in the Road Angels' performance against camera vans

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Like Alex, I drive a lot slower than I used to - but on a clear day / quietish motorway it's still too easy to creep up to a speed that would attract attention, especially in these days of arbitrary ticket issuing without any real regard to road safety. - that's why I was particularly interested in the Road Angels' performance against camera vans

Too true Phil. Wafting along at 80-85, as you do, it is all to ease to have the occasional whoosh either to get out the way of a flashing B*W, or to get clear of congestion.

120 comes up very readily, and does not feel much different. It is important to keep an eye on the clock and to slow down again as soon as it is safe to do so (!). When you do slow back down to 80, it feels as though you have stopped!

OP
st4

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
  • Banned
Too true Phil. Wafting along at 80-85, as you do, it is all to ease to have the occasional whoosh either to get out the way of a flashing B*W, or to get clear of congestion.

120 comes up very readily, and does not feel much different. It is important to keep an eye on the clock and to slow down again as soon as it is safe to do so (!). When you do slow back down to 80, it feels as though you have stopped!

Yes alex, my woosh was 300 miles long :rolleyes:

These 220 E classes are fab. You buy one. Not mine as thats been flogged but one like it :lol:

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203
120 comes up very readily, and does not feel much different. It is important to keep an eye on the clock and to slow down again as soon as it is safe to do so (!). When you do slow back down to 80, it feels as though you have stopped![/QUOTE]

eh - not in the wife's mini cooper it doesn't !! - but looking at the impressive list of hardware on your drive I see what you mean:cool:

hotbaws

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi Estate
I had the road angel too. Knew if limiter set @ 100mph I would never get ban :cool: but if set @ 105mph then not so good as my car is 101mph on the GPS

Out of interest did the road angel provide any useful warnings of other hazards on the way south - eg those fine people who insist on parking their tranny vans on bridges and being nosey?

I drove up the M6/M74 from Liverpool to Glasgow last week and spotted on 3 seperate bridges a transit van sitting up off to the side of the bridge and 3 camera's over each lane trailing back to the van.

Didn't look like speed camera's, but no idea what they were. A guy in the office said it was DVLA vans for road tax? Is that correct?

Just wondering that was all as I was cruising at 85 most of the time

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
a) doesn't have heaps of ariels dangling of it
b) hasn't got two interior mirrors
c) is pretty much unspottable and manned singly (it was a woman who was driving it).

As it was dark it could have been fully marked and you still wouldn't have seen it.

I got done a few years ago bowling along at 85 on a clear summer evening by a cop with a laser standing off to the side of a bridge with his back to the sun.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I drove up the M6/M74 from Liverpool to Glasgow last week and spotted on 3 separate bridges a transit van sitting up off to the side of the bridge and 3 camera's over each lane trailing back to the van.

I always wonder how they manage to get to the next bridge ahead of me like that? It's not as though I'm dawdling ..... ? :rolleyes::shock:

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I drove up the M6/M74 from Liverpool to Glasgow last week and spotted on 3 seperate bridges a transit van sitting up off to the side of the bridge and 3 camera's over each lane trailing back to the van.

Didn't look like speed camera's, but no idea what they were. A guy in the office said it was DVLA vans for road tax? Is that correct?

They are ANPR vans - checking Road Tax, Insurance and MOT. Also linked to the PNC to check if the vehicle is wanted, or merely being traced..!!

By the by, here in Spain they now exercise ZERO tolerence for both speeding and drinking. ONE kph over - and you are done for!! As for drinking, even if the Guardia so much as SMELL alcohol, it's a fine, car confiscated and court in the morning!! Oh, and absolutely no arguing with them - they have nice, black guns too :shock: No avoiding the road blocks either :neutral:

Happy days :p

megah0

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Diesel...now with less dents!
Drove to Harrogate and back a couple of months ago, 300 mile round trip mostly on the motorways and my problem is getting off the m'way wafting along at ~70mph for 2 hours (we left early and came back late) to going into a 30mph limit feels like you are travelling backwards!

I remembered to check my speed just in time before a speed camera I know works (caught my colleagues) else I would have gone through it at 50ish.

There is also a piece of national speed limit road between where I live and Kidderminster, at various points it goes into 30mph limit areas due to little villages, guess where the speed cameras are? Yep, about 20 yards away from the 30 sign in an area where it would still be safe to be doing that speed (the 30 zone starts about half a mile before any residences)

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
An English friend living in Sweden was done for 64kph in a 50 limit.SKK1000 + 100 per k over.SKK2400 is about £200.
A couple of weeks ago we both came out of Malmo Sturup airport having a bit of a race(he's got some sort of go faster Golf)& in the end I just slowed & pulled over & let him go for it.I figured 120mph+ in a 110kph limit was a bit daft.
Sure enough just outside Malmo there were the flashing blue lights & he'd been pulled.Luckily for him the cops were coming out of a slip road & couldn't get an accurate reading so he got a warning.Car confiscation & gaol were mentioned.

Phil D

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
previously W202 & W203

ANPR cameras indeed - now that is a good idea - car not taxed? guess why - no insurance - pull them over and drive them straight into a roadside crusher - driver removal optional, but not encouraged:p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
90% of the camera's in Sweden are the little grey poles that take forward facing pictures,,I am sure that over there, there is a camera for everyone that lives there

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
90% of the camera's in Sweden are the little grey poles that take forward facing pictures,,I am sure that over there, there is a camera for everyone that lives there

So, there are lots of Poles working in Sweden too then? So much for expansion of the EU. Is there no limit?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So, there are lots of Poles working in Sweden too then? So much for expansion of the EU. Is there no limit?

I must use my SPEC's when writing here too;):D

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
Back to Sweden.Do any of you remember one of Nokia's execs being done for speeding a few years ago,got fined something like£2k.Apparently your fine there is directly linked to your salary :shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Back to Sweden.Do any of you remember one of Nokia's execs being done for speeding a few years ago,got fined something like£2k.Apparently your fine there is directly linked to your salary :shock:

That could have certainly been the case some years back,,and a heavy fine rather than being banned,,I do not think that it exist now with so many speed camera's,,you get stretches of road where there can be 6 camera's within 3 km all very carefully placed with a mixture of other poles and signs

LSD

Reaction score
I was made up today on the routes thru deepest south wales up to the north via the A49 to see several unmarked cars and bikes in action. Their target.. the %$^&** bikers who treat every road as an extension of the Isle of Man TT course. I have never witnessed such contempt for other road users as convoy after convoy of these cretins tore up the backside of vehicles before diving out in to the face of oncoming traffic on two way stretches to overtake at speeds double the actual limits. As I approached a junction a bike tore up behind me at what must have been the ton and overtook. At the same time down in the distance a car I had seen and adjusted my speed for, was making a right turn from a side road on my left. Bikes brake come on and it's wobble, wobble. Unluckely they didn't fall off. The driver emerging had done nothing wrong. They could not have , nor should they have, been expected to foresee a bike travelling at 100 mph in a 40 mph area.

Somebody has a thing against bikers I think. What a nasty resentful post.

Perhaps you could save some of your own contempt for a governmental system that is oppressing the hell out of everyone, more by the month. They love it when the public at large moralize and resent each others' differences, all helps the clicking of anti-freedom ratchet.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Somebody has a thing against bikers I think. What a nasty resentful post.

Perhaps you could save some of your own contempt for a governmental system that is oppressing the hell out of everyone, more by the month. They love it when the public at large moralize and resent each others' differences, all helps the clicking of anti-freedom ratchet.

You say that,, but it is not funny when a mob of bikers do that, any speed, any road markings, all not part of their driving skills,,, it can be terrifying to have 20 or so bikes all going past and cutting in inches from your bumper and front wing

Top Bottom