Update with scary picture - W204 2008 rear subframe failure

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Would there be any advantage in me spraying some Dinitrol rust converter into the rear subframe ? Especially as I have two 9 year old MB's :shock:
Will not undo any corrosion that has already started, but will definitely slow it down. The main enemy of metal ( there are others, of course ) primarily is Air and Water....the more you protect the metal from these two, the longer it will last. In this day and age, it is unforgivable that rust should still be a problem, and ever more so in high-end cars like Mercedes.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Will not undo any corrosion that has already started, but will definitely slow it down. The main enemy of metal ( there are others, of course ) primarily is Air and Water....the more you protect the metal from these two, the longer it will last. In this day and age, it is unforgivable that rust should still be a problem, and ever more so in high-end cars like Mercedes.
I think I'll order a can to spray inside the rear areas . I did rust proof and hammerite all the surface rust earlier this summer so it will be a quick cheap job whilst the weather is nice .

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I think I'll order a can to spray inside the rear areas . I did rust proof and hammerite all the surface rust earlier this summer so it will be a quick cheap job whilst the weather is nice .
Back in the day when I was involved in this kind of work, we used a tool which was very like the modern drain jetter ( you know the type, shaped jet at the head of a pressurised hose..front jet cuts through the debris, and is forced along the pipe by several rear angled jets ) Same principle in the tool we used, except that the head was machined like spiral staircase, and under pressure, it sprayed out rust inhibiter / metal protector in all directions....you could get a 5 ltr metal tin, make a small hole in the lid ( just big enough to allow the jetter inside ).. short ( or long , if you prefer ) blast of compressed air through the pipe, and PRESTO...every internal surface on the tin would be coated with the inhibitor. And this stuff was guaranteed to last for years, because it never really hardened, and so was very effective. But having said that....there is no protection against impurities which are already in the metal itself.....these will make their presence felt sooner or later.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Do you need a proper garage lifts to be able to check this out?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wheel ramps for me . Just ordered 2x Dinitrol cavity wax , one for each car .

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wheel ramps for me . Just ordered 2x Dinitrol cavity wax , one for each car .
Do you have to take anything off to do the work?

8SE452

Last edited:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe

Ideally just this big bit: -

004 Subframe cleaned.jpg

To be fair, I did it this way as I wanted it to last. Everything, including all the floor above it, was rubbed down, primed painted and treated with Bilt Hamber S50 before re-assembly.

Yes, it takes a bit longer but it gives you the opportunity to check everything over and it's a lot easier to replace any worn bushes and other bits while it's all on the deck. It's not too bad a job if done methodically but it won't be done in a day...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ideally just this big bit: -

View attachment 44241

To be fair, I did it this way as I wanted it to last. Everything, including all the floor above it, was rubbed down, primed painted and treated with Bilt Hamber S50 before re-assembly.

Yes, it takes a bit longer but it gives you the opportunity to check everything over and it's a lot easier to replace any worn bushes and other bits while it's all on the deck. It's not too bad a job if done methodically but it won't be done in a day...
Ok thanks. So to do it properly you would have to paint the whole thing, and all the parts that are flush with the underside.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

8SE452
I'm just going to spray it into any holes I can find . But the underside of my cars don't look too bad . If I can drag another few years out of them I'll be happy

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm just going to spray it into any holes I can find . But the underside of my cars don't look too bad . If I can drag another few years out of them I'll be happy
I'm now paranoid that mine need doing, something I would never have thought about. I'm not a mechanic and I doubt I could drop out the sub frame and diff.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm now paranoid that mine need doing, something I would never have thought about. I'm not a mechanic and I doubt I could drop out the sub frame and diff.
Forums can create panic :D . I'm happy at £13 per car to squirt a can in where I can . I'm not going to be dropping sub frames any time soon either .

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Forums can create panic :D . I'm happy at £13 per car to squirt a can in where I can . I'm not going to be dropping sub frames any time soon either .
I'll get my head under there and have a quick look.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMG_20180705_100257.jpg The sub frame that I could see looked ok, but it was a very restrictive view. Bit I did notice that the bottom of the diff housing looked suspect, is this ok?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe

Don't worry about it.

Next time it's in the garage for anything just ask them to give it a quick check over for your peace of mind. The one I linked to above is my W201 which is coming up to 30 years old. I could have left it alone as it wasn't that bad but, as it's a long term keeper, decided to give it a good dose of looking at with some preventative maintenance.

Sensible advice here, especially about the panic bit. Not often people post to say that their car is running fine with nothing untoward. Usually it's about some fault or other.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't worry about it.

Next time it's in the garage for anything just ask them to give it a quick check over for your peace of mind. The one I linked to above is my W201 which is coming up to 30 years old. I could have left it alone as it wasn't that bad but, as it's a long term keeper, decided to give it a good dose of looking at with some preventative maintenance.

Sensible advice here, especially about the panic bit. Not often people post to say that their car is running fine with nothing untoward. Usually it's about some fault or other.
Thanks. I do worry about most things these days, more so since I hit 40!! My car is down at Avantagarde Bristol in 2 weeks, I will ask them then.
Cheers
Andy

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My cars are both running perfectly , nothing is wrong or needs doing either , happy days (My God what have I done :eek: )

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2007/180 kompressor
I picked my car up this evening from Mercedes Swansea after the subframe and brake line repair.and it feels perfect to be fair.I was talking to the service guy,and said I was shocked that the subframe went the way it did.he said they had had quite a few in lately,and that Mercedes are paying out on them.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom