Updating Sat Nav

RobUK360

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2007(57)
Hi all,

I would appreciate some help updating my sat nav from V7 to a later version. It is a late 2007 E320. I've only just got the car and I've never had a Mercedes before, so this is all new to me. It is the comand head unit with single cd slot at the top, a 6 cd changer directly underneath the head unit and the sat nav dvd drive in the boot. The dvd in the boot is v7 2007.

I have read I need to update to V12 first as this has a firmware update in it, is this correct? Does the update apply to the Sat Nav only or does it update the headunit? Do I just put it in the DVD drive in the boot and it automatically updates? If I update to V12 and the head unit is on older firmware, what will happen? Can I just put the V7 disk back in and all will work again? I am worried I will break something.

I've read I need to potentially update the head unit before updating the sat nav using the download from this link: https://service-parts.mercedes-benz....&market=Europe
Is this the same update as contained in the V12 disk?

So this is where I feel a little lost, I've tried to access the engineer menu to get the version information using two methods, both with the car key in and turned on, but not engine running.
1. Going into service settings and language and pressing the two left upper and left lower diagonal buttons, the telephone cancel button and the audio button, that didn't work.
2. Holding the Serv button, phone down button and mute button.

I have looked at th maps screen and I do have the eastimated arrival time, if that helps identify firmware versions.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
If you download the latest firmware from the link you posted and burn it on a CD, put that in your Navigation drive in the boot and let it upload the info. Then visit either the main dealer or contact Comandonline and get the latest mapping DVD which I believe is V18

If you contact Comandonline, have your Vin# handy (its the 17 digit number in the n/s bottom of your screen) and they can advise the exact DVD you need dependant on your version of Comand .
I believe this is the DVD you need.
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Comand-APS-Map-DVD-Europe-NTG1.html

OP
R

RobUK360

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2007(57)
If you download the latest firmware from the link you posted and burn it on a CD, put that in your Navigation drive in the boot and let it upload the info. Then visit either the main dealer or contact Comandonline and get the latest mapping DVD which I believe is V18

If you contact Comandonline, have your Vin# handy (its the 17 digit number in the n/s bottom of your screen) and they can advise the exact DVD you need dependant on your version of Comand .
I believe this is the DVD you need.
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Comand-APS-Map-DVD-Europe-NTG1.html
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused about the download I linked to. I was under the impression this was an update for the head unit and not the nav and was supposed to go in the cd slot inside the car on the head unit? On the link I believe I have the 211series, but how would I know for sure? So is this the update that is contained on the v12 nav disk?

Thanks

Rob.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I believe the update disc goes in the single cd slot on the head unit, when I put it in there it read it, popped it out and said you already have the latest

if you can't get at the "old service menus" that's also an indicator you have the latest software

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Botus above is correct. The update disc goes in the CD slot in the head unit, not the nav drive in the boot.
I gave you the wrong info earlier. Apologies

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
thinking about the next bit and the map disc.... I suspect "from" v12 if it contains a nav unit a firmware update, any subsequent disc will have the same info

I went from the original (2006 map) to a 2014 and later a 2016 disc, (I forget as was 4 years back maybe the 2014 disc did an update), whatever in the end they both "just worked"

OP
R

RobUK360

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2007(57)
thinking about the next bit and the map disc.... I suspect "from" v12 if it contains a nav unit a firmware update, any subsequent disc will have the same info

I went from the original (2006 map) to a 2014 and later a 2016 disc, (I forget as was 4 years back maybe the 2014 disc did an update), whatever in the end they both "just worked"

Hi guys
Thanks for the help so far.
So just to clarify, is the nav disc update different from the head unit update? Or do I need both for the newer nav discs to work? I have read that updating the firmware of the head unit can cause mp3 playback to stop working, which is a feature I use all the time. I'm not bothered about vim as I don't watch dvds. I just don't want to damage anything especially a failed firmware update from the Mercedes download on a cd-r. So I'd rather avoid the head unit update.
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
yes, maps go in the boot in its own drive, I wouldn't be so worried, updates check if compatible and work.... if anything dies it was OLD hardware waiting to die and your intervention is not the driver!

the one bit worth confirming before running that update, I have no idea about the cd player and MP3, I meant to test but not got round to it yet.... but that will only change - if indeed it does kill MP3 - when updating the in dash comand unit, the map in the boot will do maps and nothing else.

Re music, I just got a BT phone thing that can stream music too.... its a little odd getting music play back to behave, but the quality of both is perfect (I got lucky and got it secondhand all in and working for £130)

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/fisc.../fiscon-bluetooth-handsfree-pro-mercedes-benz

Last edited:
OP
R

RobUK360

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2007(57)
yes, maps go in the boot in its own drive, I wouldn't be so worried, updates check if compatible and work.... if anything dies it was OLD hardware waiting to die and your intervention is not the driver!

the one bit worth confirming before running that update, I have no idea about the cd player and MP3, I meant to test but not got round to it yet.... but that will only change - if indeed it does kill MP3 - when updating the in dash comand unit, the map in the boot will do maps and nothing else.

Re music, I just got a BT phone thing that can stream music too.... its a little odd getting music play back to behave, but the quality of both is perfect (I got lucky and got it secondhand all in and working for £130)

https://www.kufatec.de/shop/en/fisc.../fiscon-bluetooth-handsfree-pro-mercedes-benz

Thanks for your help, I've decided not to update the head unit, it does what I need so leaving it alone. Now that I know the update on the Nav disk is for the Nav unit only and not the head unit I will pop an updated Nav version in the boot dvd drive and see what happens.

I am also looking for a HFP Bluetooth module for my car. I've looked on ebay and they are going for around £150 buy it now. Seems a lot on money for a bluetooth module. I see there are 3 versions, older to newest, newest ending in "000". Is there a breakdown of the differences?

Cheers

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
my fathers car never had any phone system so the Kufatec unit is a brilliant solution.... in my car I have used both Merc and Viseeo BT units, the call quality is 50% less then this kufatec unit (its exceptional for call quality)

the issue with the Merc HPF units (of which they have 4 out there from about 9 years till now ) is you can't update the firmware, with Apple not adhering to the rules ever, and most units by any manufacturer having issues that only got resolved in mid 2012 you can find early ones don't behave correctly.

reliability wise there is no issues at all, but the earliy ones you can pick up for £80, may not work or won't display phone books etc.

Viseeo is another unit worth thinking about, MB-3, MB-4 or the MB4+ should all do as good a job if not better than the Merc ones

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
All the genuine NTG1 disks from V9 onwards come with the required firmware on them. No need for a separate update at all.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I've been looking into a new Head Unit and Unique are quoting around £1600 all fitted. It looks great (from the pictures) and it'll go on my 'to do' list, but next year. I can't afford everything I want, all the time. But I'll get there.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
went round and tried a MP3 disc, works exactly as it should, folder, menu structure and track names all work. didn't believe the post where it was suggested head unit update killed the MP3 feature. Now I have checked on a real car, of course it doesn't do anything of the sort.

I would suggest the vehicle in question never had MP3 and remained without MP3, possibly because the drive had died and was swapped out for a fake / cheap nasty CD unit

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E350 Bluetec AMG Night Edition Premium + 5dr
My 2015 E350 has 2014/2015 (V2.1) EUROPE map installed and says that I have to contact my dealer....which I have but they don't seem to know or can't (be bothered to) direct me. Does anyone know if I can download a current map and simply load it on a USB stick and upload it directly in the car via one of the USB ports? Or is it a CD update by the dealer? I have just paid for another 3 years of Live Traffic which is unfortunately trying to work with outdated maps. Also I find that loads of postcodes cannot be entered and large patches are unmapped...presume this is a version issue...any help gratefully received.

Attachments

• 2018-08-23 11.34.27.jpg
    2018-08-23 11.34.27.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 6

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
most manufacturers moved from the map being the bit you need, to buying a code to unlock the new map's use (so the mapping is cheap, the code you have to have as well, being expensive). I guess that makes piracy easier to manager,

of late (last 18 months or so) mapping from Mercedes has become much less of a rip off and many are getting it done for £99. if the mapping is that old it could be worth checking the comand unit for other software updates.

you could try getting a deal from a main dealer to do software updates and buy the mapping (probably best done with a small service) but you have to book the extra services before you just turn up.

or contact comandonline (J3 of M3) and see what they can offer, great bunch who are forum supporters here...
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for this Botus...I've been in touch with them...waiting for a reply. Do you know if I have to buy the pin activation code separately or is this somewhere on my vehicle? Can't see anything on the documentation but assume that you don't have to buy both new maps and a separate activation code for every update....Thanks

snipez999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
18MY E63S AMG W213
If you get the update sorted and want a speed cam overlay (and have NTG 5.5) then I bought a speedcam update from commandonline which doesnt work for me (no POI imports allowed on my version) and you are welcome to have the download and access code for free (by email). Let me know.

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the offer. I'm not bothered about the POIs but is this why it's no good for you? According to my VIN the Command version is APS NTG5/NTG5.5 so presume this will be OK....I'll get back to you but thanks again.

snipez999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
18MY E63S AMG W213
Because mine is a 2018 E class and they disabled the import POI function as some countries dont like you knowing where cameras are!

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just seen your vehicle spec...I understand....I'll swap vehicles if you want to know where the cameras are!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom