upgrading headlight bulbs w211

L

Laraghbrae

Having complaints from 'the management' re poor lights on my E220CDI (H7,55W) after a long journey yesterday evening. I would appreciate any recommendations on how I might safely upgrade these bulbs. Lights have been checked for alignment etc.
Thank you

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I tried several makes of "super bright" on my old S-Class (which had appalling lights!) including Philips and Osram offerings, but the best ones I found were actually Bosch Pure White which were also relatively cheap compared to the others.

The alternatives are HID upgrade kits which are illegal, or a proper "oem" upgrade which is expensive!!! It's worth £15 on a pair of Bosch bulbs first to see if it resolves the problem.

Hth,
Bill

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
I had a pair of Lidl's:) £3.99 50% extra brighter H7 in my previous E320 and they were much better than the originals. Lidl's often have these bulbs in stock but beware they do two sorts, one is 50% brighter and the others have a blue tint. I think they were made by Varta.

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
I agree with billyboy.

I can also add that I use H7 xenon bulbs. They are much whiter than Halogen. Look for a known brand such as Osram or Hella etc. If you don't mind the implications of technically being illegal you could use go for 100 watt ones.

I have tried the 100 watt ones and to be honest it is difficult to see the difference compared to the legal 55 watt items.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I agree with billyboy.

I can also add that I use H7 xenon bulbs. They are much whiter than Halogen. Look for a known brand such as Osram or Hella etc. If you don't mind the implications of technically being illegal you could use go for 100 watt ones.

I have tried the 100 watt ones and to be honest it is difficult to see the difference compared to the legal 55 watt items.

You also need to be aware of the extra load that the 100w bulkbs are putting on the relays and wiring

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
You also need to be aware of the extra load that the 100w bulkbs are putting on the relays and wiring

............................and the effect of the extra heat on the plastic lamp fittings. I think there was a thread here a couple of years ago when somebody melted his, due to stronger bulbs.

Ernie

AlastairD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S211 E270 CDi Elegance 100k+
I spent a few quid on some brighter Halfrauds bulbs, yes they were brighter but of course the range was not increased. Just a short bit of road, brighter!

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights so they just light up more of the road?

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
I tried several makes of "super bright" on my old S-Class (which had appalling lights!) including Philips and Osram offerings, but the best ones I found were actually Bosch Pure White which were also relatively cheap compared to the others.

The alternatives are HID upgrade kits which are illegal, or a proper "oem" upgrade which is expensive!!! It's worth £15 on a pair of Bosch bulbs first to see if it resolves the problem.

Hth,
Bill

Hi
why are the HID upgrade kits illegal? out of interest. If you do it properly its completely legal to upgrade isn't it?

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
Hi
why are the HID upgrade kits illegal? out of interest. If you do it properly its completely legal to upgrade isn't it?

To be completely legal with HID lights the car must also have self levelling suspension and headlamp washers!!

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
Ah yes, I know that ( and you have to change the actual light unit and have a self levelling system, doesn't have to be suspension based) - I just wondered why the kits were deemed illegal when in reality they are perfectly legal provided you comply with the other bits. I've fitted them before on Audi with no issue so long as you change the lamp unit. Not cheap mind!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Ah yes, I know that ( and you have to change the actual light unit and have a self levelling system, doesn't have to be suspension based) - I just wondered why the kits were deemed illegal when in reality they are perfectly legal provided you comply with the other bits. I've fitted them before on Audi with no issue so long as you change the lamp unit. Not cheap mind!

I suppose they are illegal because they don't have self leveling, now washers. How many people buying the kits will bother with the leveling and the washers?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I suppose they are illegal because they don't have self leveling, now washers. How many people buying the kits will bother with the leveling and the washers?

not required to have washers and self levelling below a certain light output. my ford puma had them factory fitted, but with no washers and a manual levelling knob

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
Agreed - not many. I know loads of people that have added hids and not the full package
I guess with the puma that's due to it having European type approval and not being a conversion. The DOT law on conversions does require cleaning and levelling along with the reflector change.
In practice I know 1in10 conversions that have ever had an Issue come MOT time

Last edited:

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Hi

In order to comply with DOT guidelines, there are several conditions that need to be met - some fairly easy, some not so much so. There are already plenty of posts on here about the legality or otherwise of the various options, but the three things that seem to be key are:

1) The vehicle must be fitted with headlamp washers (These are fitted to many Halogen equiped cars, so if you have them, that's one tick)

2) The light units must be self levelling (Difficult without OEM units and all the associated control gear, but the DOT Rules do say that it would normally be acceptable to have a vehicle with self levelling suspension. Again, this is fitted to some cars, particularly estates and vehicles with Airmatic, so if you have it, that's a second tick)

3) The lamp units must be designed to take HID lamps. This is the real killer - the optics are different in HID units from halogen units, and fitting HID "upgrade" kits to lamp units with optics for Halogen lamps can and very often does lead to severe dazzle for other drivers! Yes, in some units you get away with it, and some HID kits are better than others, but to comply with the rules and avoid dazzle you really do need OEM HID lamp units.

So yes, at the end of the day you MAY be able to legally install a HID kit, but you will need a vehicle that already has headlamp washers and self levelling suspension and will need to buy a pair of OEM HID lamp units (new or second hand).

I have to say that as these "upgrade" kits are becoming more popular, there are certainly a lot of cars on the road that severely dazzle. Two of the worst culprits (presumably down to the headlamp optics) seem to be the Mk4 Astra and Mk2 Mondeo.

HTH,
Bill

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
well, the w220 had Osram +30%

in and I thought they were a bit dull, so I popped down to Andrew Page and bought some Bosch Pure Light H7s and H4s. As i bought enough to do all three cars, and have one as spare for each, they very obligingly did the H7s at £4 and the H4s at £2.50.
That's about the same as Lidl prices ( I have several sets of their kits, containing Tesla +50%s which i have always found good on the 210 and 107).

the difference on the s-class is very noticeable. The difference on the E-class is not so huge ( I changed the bulbs one at atime, and compared in between). The bulbs in the S class definitely were not up to snuff.

I've upped the sidelight bulbs to 8-led can-bus compatible ones. Huge difference, very clean white light. Almost like having non-annoying day running lights.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom