Urgent Question for Malcolm

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Firstly let me apolgise for posting this here but Malc is the only guy I know that could possibly solve this

Malc, my son has a 2002 BMW 535i M Sport, quite randomly the radio will come on by itself at full tilt & WILL NOT SWITCH OFF

No buttons work on it at all .......... He has been "Advised" that it's a "Known" problem & is linked to "Static build up" within the "Traffic Master" system.

Can we (My son Paul & I) presume on your very good nature & ask your advise please.

SORRY GUYS I know it's "The Other Lot" but as we all know "What Malc DON'T KNOW really aint worth knowing!!!!!

Keith

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry Kieth I have not got a clue on this one, and I avoid car radios when ever possible.

That is an odd fault, I fail to see that static could do this, is there any ting about this on the BMW forums

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
If it's a "known problem" then surely there's a known solution?

OP
The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Sorry Kieth I have not got a clue on this one, and I avoid car radios when ever possible.

That is an odd fault, I fail to see that static could do this, is there any ting about this on the BMW forums

Not a damn Thing mate ...........Been "surfin" over there most of this evening

It could be to do with the battery going flat Paul works away alot (Hes a Gas Engineer) & Having no garage its parked on his drive, so obviously he has to leave it alarmed & this drains away the battery.

we were coming back from Oulton Park this afto & the radio just "let Rip" full throttle could'nt switch if off at all & couldn't drive with the volume.

paul said its done it before so we just stopped in a lay-by & sat on the grass (Cars "OFF & LOCKED" with it blasting away waited 20 or so minutes until it switched itself off & then continued on home!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have never heard of any fault that could do this,,the fault must be in the head unit as that is the only thing that could turn it on

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Get the radio out of the dash ..... unplug the multipin socket ... spray with a little WD40 or similiar ..and refit !!

Hopefully problem solved !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Get the radio out of the dash ..... unplug the multipin socket ... spray with a little WD40 or similiar ..and refit !!

Hopefully problem solved !!

The fact that it will not turn off is the bigger mystery, and that I will sleep on.

What make is the radio please

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
Keith

I can't help on the solution but is a temporary workaround to find out which fuse feeds the radio? Next time it goes off, fuse out and away you go!

Dave

PS: I have sympathy as my Alfa 166 used to randomly turn the radio off when you pressed the clutch! And yes, I am serious it really did!

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Reason for my post, is I suspect condensation, causing a crossed wire ........

There's definately a short of some sort .......... so the cheapest options are always the 1st & best

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These things are logic controlled,,some locks up,,with the make of the radio I may be able to get some answers

OP
The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
These things are logic controlled,,some locks up,,with the make of the radio I may be able to get some answers

Malc .........What make it is I have not got the foggest!!!! But Heres a Pic of it

535radio.jpg

Its the whole 9 yards, Sat Nav, TV, Radoi, Computer, CD, DVD, Telephone, Trip......You name it & It's in there ........SOMEWHERE!!!!

Most on the "Gubbins" (Love that word it's sooo EXPLANTORY!!!) are situated in the rear nearside corner of the boot SAT NAV Disc "Player" TV Tuner, CD Auto ect

Last edited:
OP
The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Keith

I can't help on the solution but is a temporary workaround to find out which fuse feeds the radio? Next time it goes off, fuse out and away you go!

Dave

PS: I have sympathy as my Alfa 166 used to randomly turn the radio off when you pressed the clutch! And yes, I am serious it really did!

Dave, this is gonna make you howl with laughin...........We tried takin out the fuse (left it out fer 10 minutes then we put it back in...........)

It was like the scene from Back to the future where Marty plays his guitar with that big AMP in front of him Pair of us ended up in a field covered in hay about 30 yards away !!!!!!

Jees I can't type fer laughin here!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will see what I can find out:D

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I've posted a question on a BMW forum (won't put up a link, don't want you lot to get jealous), I'll let you know if/when something comes up.

I did a bit of a search but couldn't find anything so I'm not so sure it's a common problem at all. I did find some references to what they call a BM24 or BM54 Audio module which apparently suffers from dry joints but that seems to result in no sound rather than too much.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
easy (but expensive) remedy here. trade it for a merc!

OP
The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw

Reaction score
Owning a BMW as I do ........... it is a very common problem !

GREAT Paul is not then only one then ..............(Still pickin grass outta me clothes after re fitting the damn fuse!!!!!)

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
There will be 2 live wires going to a radio, 1 is live all the time to preserve the station memory
(that would explain why it was still on with the fuse removed)
the other is only live when the ignition is turned to position 1 and 2.

There are so many "Gubbins" on that unit that it is going to be very difficult to trace where the fault is other than looking for crossed wires.

Dec

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom