v 230 2.3 petrol Top End help needed

spacebar27

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v230 2.3 Petrol
Hi all,

First post here! Although i've managed to find a lot of useful info on here i'm still missing a few bits...

Managed to pick myself up a cheap V230 Ambiente Auto which needs the top end sorting. I've been squirrelling away on it over the wknd and have got down to the final few bits before the Head comes off!

Just about to take the Tensioner out (have found links on how to reset it) but wanted to check with the forum on the best way of getting the chain off. I have locked the cams off which sets the crank pulley at about 20 ish +TDC. I was then thinking about removing Outlet cam sprocket ( 3-4 allen bolts) off end of cam and the slipping chain off Inlet and removing rest of Head.

Thoughts?

The Chain would have only done 63K so probably going to reuse it and Guides/Tensioner. Am i right in saying that there is a split link somewhere along its length? Just incase i need to completely remove it.

Also, Can anyone supply torque settings for putting everything back together. I cannot find them anywhere. This van seems to be pre-internet and so all the info is on old micro fiche that i can get hold of.

OP
S

spacebar27

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v230 2.3 Petrol
Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated or even just pointing me in the right direction. ie relevant threads...

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Youtube is your friend. There are loads of helpful videos on there.

OP
S

spacebar27

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v230 2.3 Petrol
Yup, ive been sifting through the YouTube! found a couple of useful vids.

Am i right in saying that to get the chain guide out from the Inlet side of the engine you need to pull out the locking/locating pin at the top out? The guide is covering the last head bolt and the only way of getting it out is buy removing the chain guide?

Also, any help on torque figures for putting everything back together would be very much appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If that's an m271 engine I'd change the chain given the issues they seem to have.

OP
S

spacebar27

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 v230 2.3 Petrol
I'm new too been a v230 owner (learning Fast) whats the main issues with the chains? I've read-up about changing them but cant find out why a new one would be any better than the original!?

I dont think its an M271 as the block is steel!

I have finally got the head off. Grim on the underside! Head gasket had failed in a couple of places near #1 & #2. I'm not wanting to strip the engine any further but the bores could do with some attention. Anyone successfully managed to get the bore in shape without going too mad?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Should be a 111 engine. The pins to the guide rails need to be extracted, you can use a bolt and a socket to do that if you don't have access to the special tool.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom