V230 - Weird red LED on dash - any ideas??

Booster

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V230
Hi,
Am just looking at buying a 1998, V230 Ambiente with LPG conversion.

This is from a dealer who's taken it as a trade in so knows nothing about it.
Sadly, virtually no history, including no LPG certificate - though I've checked this out and can get it tested and registered.

There is a red LED on the centre console which stays on all the time. I've seen a similar thing on photos of other vehicles I've seen online.
It's mounted on one of the small, rocker switch type blanking plates, so I doubt it's original. Might be part of the alarm maybe? Does anyone know what it is?
I'm sure it's a warning for something - just no idea what!

Also, there's a sort of push button thing on the console with what looks like a 3.5mm jack socket.
Again no idea what it is, but the van has a full sort of DVD installation so maybe it's something to do with that - or was it a taxi before???

Photo: http://dptv.co.uk/V230.jpg

Any help really appreciated!

Thanks,
Booster

Last edited:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Looks like it's been added.
Aftermarket alarm?
LED warning when running on petrol?

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
The LPG lights / buttons are contained within the switch to the left (in the photo) of the central locking button.

When you start the car, it should start on petrol, then once up to between 40 & 60deg it should switch automatically to LPG - and run on that until you either

a) restart from cold

or

b) Run out of LPG.

You can switch manually, from LPG to petrol, by pressing the button on this switch, it's just a toggle between the two states.

Normally (depending on make of conversion) you can also override the usual procedure and start on LPG by pressing and holding the button whilst turning on the ignition and then cranking the engine - NOTE you would only do this if you'd run out of petrol completely as it's not the best thing for the engine or the LPG system to do it all the time.

If you are thinking of buying make sure the LPG system works properly, otherwise it could cost more to sort out than it would cost to have a new one fitted.

Normally on the button there is something - a "P" indicates a Prins system and an "AG" an AG system - there are others as well but I don't know what's on the button. I don't recognise that button so can't comment on what make of system you have there - but almost any LPG system is better than no LPG as long as it all works properly.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom