V6 air filters

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Removed my air filters yesterday. 2 years since last changed. Very dirty and need to replace before heading south next week.

I can order on line and get them by Wednesday. But I am wondering whether to purchase standard paper elements or change to K&N.

I know that oil basted elements can do damage to the MAF, but wondering if any others have experience of K&N filters.

What I did do today was drive the car without the air filter box on and the acceleration was amazing. What a difference.

Just shows how restrictive filters can be on the V6.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

What I did do today was drive the car without the air filter box on and the acceleration was amazing. What a difference.

I 'temporarily' removed the air filter from a diseasal Astra I'd once bought as a cheap run-about. A few weeks down the line, the car was noticeably struggling to accelerate. I found the cause ...... the fine gauze filter in front of the MAF was virtually clogged solid with general dust/etc ie the stuff the air filer should've filtered out. Fixed by blasting with an airline.

Don't drive for too long without your air filter(s) ;) ;) ;)

OP
Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
I 'temporarily' removed the air filter from a diseasal Astra I'd once bought as a cheap run-about. A few weeks down the line, the car was noticeably struggling to accelerate. I found the cause ...... the fine gauze filter in front of the MAF was virtually clogged solid with general dust/etc ie the stuff the air filer should've filtered out. Fixed by blasting with an airline.

Don't drive for too long without your air filter(s) ;) ;) ;)
I only drove it for 30 mins. Had no choice, needed to go for a crate of Lager from Tesco !

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
It has been said that the V6 Diesels are "under filtered".. I don't know about the Petrol models..
K&N are only a problem to MAF's if they are over oiled.. (Mine has 2 MAF's).
Some people soak them in the supplied oil..
I would like to bet there will be "How to's" on the internet...

Last edited:

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
I've been running K&Ns on my V6 diseasal for for the last 2 years, no issues.

Only thing you must remember ( if you have access, is to reset the adaptations ) for the air filters...

believe it or not, the car has small pitot tubes that measure upstream pressures & downstream ( so the car crudely knows how blocked the filters are becoming ).

... you just reminded me, I'll check mine ! :D

FWIW, the air filters are the smallest pannier filters I've ever seen, they are tiny for such a large engine.

HTH :)

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
I have been running K&Ns on both my Mercs, C230K for 120k+ miles, with no issues, and my C43/55 for 15-20k miles again no issues. But be aware to follow K&Ns instructions on cleaning and re-oiling to the letter, and only use their oil.
If they actually do anything to the performance to the car or not I,m not sure, but one thing that is certain I noticed an improvement in fuel consumption.
Though all my experience is with K&Ns, I would now actually buy BMC filters, which I run my Audi 3.0 TDI on, and I can get 54+mpg on the fuel computer on a constant 70mph run, and with mixed driving it has averaged 44-45mpg over the last 1500 miles.
The main reason for buying these filters for me was because I would never have to replace them again.

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
I bought MB filters some time ago. I can't remember price but was cheaper that ECP!

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)

What difference did the stopwatch show on back to back timed runs or do you mean the acceleration sounded amazing without the airbox that's designed to (amongst other things) reduce induction noise?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will never use a K & N the noise is too obtrusive without going into any technical merits.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have been running K&Ns on both my Mercs, C230K for 120k+ miles, with no issues, and my C43/55 for 15-20k miles again no issues. But be aware to follow K&Ns instructions on cleaning and re-oiling to the letter, and only use their oil.
If they actually do anything to the performance to the car or not I,m not sure, but one thing that is certain I noticed an improvement in fuel consumption.
Though all my experience is with K&Ns, I would now actually buy BMC filters, which I run my Audi 3.0 TDI on, and I can get 54+mpg on the fuel computer on a constant 70mph run, and with mixed driving it has averaged 44-45mpg over the last 1500 miles.
The main reason for buying these filters for me was because I would never have to replace them again.

I fitted one to my V70R and while I was taking an 86 year old lady to visit her husband in hospital. She commented on the terrible noise and asked what it was. I took it off at the first opportunity and still have it somewhere.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I fitted one to my V70R and while I was taking an 86 year old lady to visit her husband in hospital. She commented on the terrible noise and asked what it was. I took it off at the first opportunity and still have it somewhere.

I used to use K&N on my old 2.8 granada, I quite liked the meaty sound it added. Saying that, I liked the RASP it made when checking things without any filter attached :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to use K&N on my old 2.8 granada, I quite liked the meaty sound it added. Saying that, I liked the RASP it made when checking things without any filter attached :)

You could have fitted a reed in the intake to have made it even louder :D

Oh to be young again

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Wish I had'nt read this thread, now I seem to be looking at the BMC website for filters.. More snake oil or real benefit? Oh Crap, did I really ask opinions on filters?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Wish I had'nt read this thread, now I seem to be looking at the BMC website for filters.. More snake oil or real benefit? Oh Crap, did I really ask opinions on filters?

The best filters in the world are EBC RED STUFF filters.
:D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom