V8 distributor cap damp problem

seventh

Reaction score
I've had an ongoing problem with damp inside the distributor caps (both) which I cannot cure. This causes the inevitable misfiring and eventual tracking which obviously wrecks the caps. All the covers for the distributors are in place..externally everything is dry. I have even replaced the camshaft oil seals behind the distributors thinking there might be crankcase vapour getting through. I have replaced the caps twice and the orange neoprene cap seals.
Does anybody have any ideas on this or suffered similar problems and sorted it out..?
Unfortunately the car is useless until it's sorted as it will not run for very long before seriously misfiring.
It seems strange that both caps are affected the same way and at the same time which is why I was looking at a common engine fault.?? Does this make sense..??
Thanks for your help.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
you do not mention it, but have you also changed the rotor arms? if not then that will be the problem.

OP
S

seventh

Reaction score
Alexander..many thanks for your reply..no I haven't changed the rotor arms because I can't see why they should cause a damp problem? I will certainly replace them, though, as I need to try anything really.
Thanks again

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i was assuming the car has not been used regularly, it would be odd for water to get in after the checks/precautions you have made. the rotor arms can cause tracking and missfiring with or without damp in the caps.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The condensation gets in via the bearing in the center shaft as it rises from the sump.

I am surprised that no one has come up with anything to stop this.

How about a small blower with a tube going to the distributor that would dry it out

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom