DaiJenkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor Elegance, 2001, 2l
Happy Friday everyone!

There is a leak somewhere in the door lock vacuum system of my 2001 CLK Coupe. I suspect it's inside the drivers door as the is a hissing sound there every time I lock and unlock the car, plus the driver door lock no longer locks unless I push the lock down physically. The rest of the system is okay, but it's getting worse, to the point where it's draining the battery through trying to repressurise all of the time.

I have 2 questions:
1) Is there an easy way to find out where the leak is (I've taken the door panel off and there was no obvious damage). I can't find a DIY manual for this model so I'm kind of guessing.
2) Failing the above, can anyone recommend a London (ideally East) based mechanic who has dealt with this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any help

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Common issue is either a split pipe or a split in the vacuum diaphragm. Easiest way is to remove the pipe from the locking actuator and block it. Then try the pump to see if the hissing is still there or not. If yes then the actuator is ok. If not the actuator is dead.

For indys you could try Wayne Gates (Harrow), WelwynMerx. Both have excellent reputations on here.

OP
D

DaiJenkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor Elegance, 2001, 2l
Common issue is either a split pipe or a split in the vacuum diaphragm. Easiest way is to remove the pipe from the locking actuator and block it. Then try the pump to see if the hissing is still there or not. If yes then the actuator is ok. If not the actuator is dead.

For indys you could try Wayne Gates (Harrow), WelwynMerx. Both have excellent reputations on here.

Thanks! Hadn't considered the pipe blocking idea. Will get that door panel off again and give it a whirl!

Top Bottom