Vacuum leak in pillar behind pass door!

apb

Reaction score
I have a 1989 250TD. I finally got my vacuum pump to work my central locking but there is a leak inside the pillar behind the passenger door. I can hear it but cannot get to it! It looks like it runs up into the roof section. Any suggestions! Thanks.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
do you mean the A pillar (with door hinge) ?

If so, are you sure that is not the pipe for the air temperature sensor in roof light which is driven by a small fan behind the glove compartment.

OP
A

apb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Television, after looking at the diagram you posted i can not figure out if the vacuum line ends at the rear door or does it continue on as a loop. The reason i say this is if it ends there maybe i could disconnect that run from the diesel filler area, plug it, and just lock or unlock the tailgate manualy! kth286, It is the section which the rear passenger door closes onto, meaning the pillar behind the door. Thanks Guys.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Pipes can break and leak, the tail gate hinge area is well known to do this, all of the pipes have a function and do something, do not forget the fuel tank flap

OP
A

apb

Reaction score
Maybe i will disconnect the pump and lock everthing manualy like i did before! It may be less hassle!

OP
A

apb

Reaction score
Hi All, just a follow up for anybody with the same or similar vacuum problem. I could not get to the leaking section of pipe so i disconnected it at the fuel filler section, plugged one of the rubber elbows and now my central locking works everything but my tailgate! And no pump running on after locking or unlocking the car. I can live with that! It may have effected something else but i have not noticed anything wierd yet! Good luck to All!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So the problem is in the pipe to the tail gate, I wonder if it would be possible to pull a new one through on the end of the old one

OP
A

apb

Reaction score
Just had a look at the page you posted of the vacuum lines and it looks like it is one piece of tubing from the fuel flap to the tailgate so that may be possible! Another job on the list of many.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a look at the page you posted of the vacuum lines and it looks like it is one piece of tubing from the fuel flap to the tailgate so that may be possible! Another job on the list of many.

A safe way is to tie some string on the end, and if that pulls through, the pull through a new pipe with the string.

Indoor fish shops sell the piping cheap by the meter

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom