Variable camshaft timing too variable - opinions sought please

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
SWMBO getting EML increasingly frequently, used to be once a year, now once a month, in her SL350 2007 M272 engine. Was said to be late enough to have had all the mods Eng Number is 27296630587592, but looks like it still needs attention.o_O

A generic code reader shows it as P0015, Camshaft over retarded (Bank 1) just a transient fault. It has never shown the fault to be present when doing a live scan. My questions are:-

1 As it is only transient, would there be a risk of further damage if left for another 1000 miles or so before getting it fixed at next service in a couple of months?

2 Anyone had the camshaft fix recently at a main dealer and would you mind telling me the cost.

3 Anyone recently used an indie for same fault and prepared to tell the cost?

Thanks for any advice offered

Cheers, Andy

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Get it read properly on a star, it might just need the modified camshaft actuators or it might need a chain.

Last edited:
OP
andynpz

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
Star, Experience of typical replies led me to expect a ticking off for not getting a star diagnosis!!have you at the top of my list of indies since you are relatively close. Would you be prepared to give a ballpark price to replace the actuators?- pm if you prefer - andynpz@gmail.com

And could it be done in a day?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
No ticking off but Past experience has shown us that aftermarket code readers sometimes misdescribe a code/fault. I am off tomorrow, so you could call the workshop and mike will be able to help or call me on Monday. Easily done in a couple of hours allowing the engine to cool slightly.

Top Bottom