Vehicle History

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s
I have recently purchased a 2019 GLE Coupe AMG 63s for my wife. We bought it from a main dealer. On the day of collection we noticed some damage to the front which they agreed to repair. After getting the car home i noticed one of the wheels had a repair on it and that the front bumper on drivers side does not line up with the wing properly like the other side does.. Also the car had only done approx 2700 miles and i noticed the tyres quiet worn for this mileage (my first thought its been driven hard) I am starting to wonder if the car has had some damage at some point and repaired by Mercedes, it was a demo car and apparently only the top people at the garage are allowed to use these?? Is there a way of finding out the workshop history of this car, i don't want to accuse the garage without finding out first?. We have not got off to a good start with them, after discovering they have already told us a few porky pies!!!!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Not a great start that! I would have expected a 2700 mile car to be indistinguishable from a new one. Sounds like this has been damaged and bodged together. Were all these faults not apparent when you first inspected? Tyres could have been swapped out of course by the dealer, but I doubt you'll get the truth from them re the history. If it were mine I'd be getting my money back.

OP
T

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s
Not a great start that! I would have expected a 2700 mile car to be indistinguishable from a new one. Sounds like this has been damaged and bodged together. Were all these faults not apparent when you first inspected? Tyres could have been swapped out of course by the dealer, but I doubt you'll get the truth from them re the history. If it were mine I'd be getting my money back.

When we went to the garage they had 2 identical cars with exception of the entertainment pack and £4000 difference. So we test drove the more expensive one but planned on buying the cheaper one as we dont need the tv screens etc. The actual car we bought was not at the garage at the time of the test drive, but we was assured it was in prestine condition etc, as this was a Mercedes main dealer we took their word for it.. As i said it was only on the day of collection we noticed these issues as it was the first time seeing the car.. I was perhaps hoping by maybe applying to Mercedes (Different garage / chain) they would have some record of any workshop works that had been carried out.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h

I agree, get money back. If they have been dishonest so far, they will remain so.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
You should be able to sort things out with the dealer but if not then you can do what I did and raise a complaint with the head office! Everything suddenly came together after I did that! :rolleyes:

OP
T

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s
You should be able to sort things out with the dealer but if not then you can do what I did and raise a complaint with the head office! Everything suddenly came together after I did that! :rolleyes:

Do you happen to have the contact details for Mercedes head office where you complained.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Do you happen to have the contact details for Mercedes head office where you complained.
It was the GROUP HQ that I complained to. In my case it was Group 1 Autos but you may be in a different area. Where did you get the car from. They will likely be part of a larger group.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
When we went to the garage they had 2 identical cars with exception of the entertainment pack and £4000 difference. So we test drove the more expensive one but planned on buying the cheaper one as we dont need the tv screens etc. The actual car we bought was not at the garage at the time of the test drive, but we was assured it was in prestine condition etc, as this was a Mercedes main dealer we took their word for it.. As i said it was only on the day of collection we noticed these issues as it was the first time seeing the car.. I was perhaps hoping by maybe applying to Mercedes (Different garage / chain) they would have some record of any workshop works that had been carried out.

Ah never ever be "assured" by a car salesman about anything without the evidence! No way would I commit to buying a car without seeing it first, but it's easy to get carried away especially with a 63 AMG. Valuable lesson learnt. Get your money back - if what you are saying is correct the condition of the car was totally misrepresented by the salesman.

OP
T

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s
It was the GROUP HQ that I complained to. In my case it was Group 1 Autos but you may be in a different area. Where did you get the car from. They will likely be part of a larger group.

I bought it at Mercedes in Epsom, Surrey, KT17 1JG

OP
T

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
I bought it at Mercedes in Epsom, Surrey, KT17 1JG
I also had reason to complain about Epsom... definitely second the advice here to contact Mercedes UK head office, their contact details are on Epsom’s website. They came down hard on Epsom and it was taken very seriously. Good luck!

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Hi
Thank you for the contact info.
Its a shame as we looked for a while to find this car for the wife, and although we have these problems etc, she does love the car...
Indeed it is a shame and takes the shine off. Epsom always prided themselves on customer service and won many awards amongst their dealerships. So if it comes from HQ they do strive to rectify matters but annoying it has to dealt with this way sometimes... oh and it hasn’t dented my relationship at all which is a nice plus... after sales would be different folks anyway but then again you can use anyone else.. :D

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
No way i would be accepting a car of such value / age / mileage with anything less than perfect bodywork and paint , but maybe that is just me.

If the damaged wheel is on the same side as the poorly fitted bumper then i may have been heavily curbed or clattered a serious pothole and who knows what other damage has been caused.

Dont imagine the tyres should be any more than maximum 25% worn with the mileage , are the tyres not date stamped as a quick check may flag up if the are much older than the vehicle which would indicate they may have been swapped.

For me anyway there is too much £££ involved not to be 100% happy , the nagging doubt and disappointment will only get worse.

K

OP
T

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s
No way i would be accepting a car of such value / age / mileage with anything less than perfect bodywork and paint , but maybe that is just me.

If the damaged wheel is on the same side as the poorly fitted bumper then i may have been heavily curbed or clattered a serious pothole and who knows what other damage has been caused.

Dont imagine the tyres should be any more than maximum 25% worn with the mileage , are the tyres not date stamped as a quick check may flag up if the are much older than the vehicle which would indicate they may have been swapped.

For me anyway there is too much £££ involved not to be 100% happy , the nagging doubt and disappointment will only get worse.

K

The damaged wheel is on the passenger side at the rear and the bumper issue is front driver side. I will get my wife to check see if there is a date on the tyres. Thanks

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The damaged wheel is on the passenger side at the rear and the bumper issue is front driver side. I will get my wife to check see if there is a date on the tyres. Thanks
There will be a date .... just whether your wife will be able to find it. 4 digit number .... first 2 are the number of weeks, the second 2 are the year e.g. 2620 is the 26th week of year 2020.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
This is bad news for such an expensive car, so I can only echo the thoughts of everybody who has posted so far.
It sounds like the car has definitely taken damage of some sort, and at the very minimum a kerbed wheel that has been badly repaired...otherwise you would not have noticed it.
Remember that just because only the top people at the garage were allowed to use it doesn't make them better drivers than the rest of us. It is almost guaranteed that this car has been driven hard in its short life. Plus its well known that car salesmen can be economical with the truth in order to get a sale. I used the most polite terminology I could there. ;)
As previously stated a car of this mileage should be indistinguishable from new
In light of your wife loving the car you should probably try and come to a mutually amicable solution, but if it was me I would be furious that they lied to me so would be seeking my money back.

I am curious by how much the tyres have worn on a car that has only covered 2700 miles? A brand new tyre has a minimum tread depth of 8mm. I do not know what the wear rate is for this vehicle/brand of tyre, but if the tread depth is less than 6mm I would be concerned.

OP
T

Tobyls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE Coupe AMG 63s
This is bad news for such an expensive car, so I can only echo the thoughts of everybody who has posted so far.
It sounds like the car has definitely taken damage of some sort, and at the very minimum a kerbed wheel that has been badly repaired...otherwise you would not have noticed it.
Remember that just because only the top people at the garage were allowed to use it doesn't make them better drivers than the rest of us. It is almost guaranteed that this car has been driven hard in its short life. Plus its well known that car salesmen can be economical with the truth in order to get a sale. I used the most polite terminology I could there. ;)
As previously stated a car of this mileage should be indistinguishable from new
In light of your wife loving the car you should probably try and come to a mutually amicable solution, but if it was me I would be furious that they lied to me so would be seeking my money back.

I am curious by how much the tyres have worn on a car that has only covered 2700 miles? A brand new tyre has a minimum tread depth of 8mm. I do not know what the wear rate is for this vehicle/brand of tyre, but if the tread depth is less than 6mm I would be concerned.

Hi,
The damaged wheel is noticeable as they have a polished outer edge and thats where you can see the fill they have added (almost could be describe and a very tidy weld) i would agree and say it has at least been curbed. And again agree in regards to the management drivers not being any better than anyone else (i think this must just be an insurance thing?) Its a shame as they didnt really need to sell the car to us as the wife had made her mind up we wanted this model and we couldn't find any more for sale in the budget etc, all we ask is the truth, no sales BS etc. I have not actually measured the tyre depth, but on feeling and looking i would say we would be lucky to have 6mm.. I may be wrong and will ask the wife to check (i am currently away) We will try to sort out with the garage and give them every opportunity to be honest about the works, and rectify to our satisfaction, but i would say the trust has been broken and once all is sorted (one way or another) we shall not use this garage again. I explained to the sales lady, putting the car aside our main concern was a good honest relationship with the garage...

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom