VIANO AUTO GEARBOX PROBLEM

H3ggf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano
Help guys
I’ve got a 2005 viano ppl carrier 2.2cdi the auto gearbox seems to be stuck in 2 nd gear I have to press the release button at gearstick to get into gear it seems as if auto box in some sort of limp mode it doesn’t show a selected gear on dash. I emptied the gearbox fluid and only just over 2 litres came out of it which should nearly be treble that in it and it was really dirty I replaced the oil with the correct amount but it’s still doing the same does the van need to go onto a computer to tell it that oils been changed or is there a bigger issue

any help would be obliged

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Help guys
I’ve got a 2005 viano ppl carrier 2.2cdi the auto gearbox seems to be stuck in 2 nd gear I have to press the release button at gearstick to get into gear it seems as if auto box in some sort of limp mode it doesn’t show a selected gear on dash. I emptied the gearbox fluid and only just over 2 litres came out of it which should nearly be treble that in it and it was really dirty I replaced the oil with the correct amount but it’s still doing the same does the van need to go onto a computer to tell it that oils been changed or is there a bigger issue

any help would be obliged
Changing the oil in the autobox doesn't need to be recorded on the vehicle's computer as far as I know. However to get an indication of where the fault lies, you need to have the codes read on STAR, either by an MB Dealer for £160 or by an independent garage for around half that. From what you say, though, the oil change was well overdue, so something might be 'gummed up'.

Ernie

OP
H

H3ggf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano
Changing the oil in the autobox doesn't need to be recorded on the vehicle's computer as far as I know. However to get an indication of where the fault lies, you need to have the codes read on STAR, either by an MB Dealer for £160 or by an independent garage for around half that. From what you say, though, the oil change was well overdue, so something might be 'gummed up'.

Ernie
Thanks

OP
H

H3ggf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano
I also remember smelling like a burnt gear oil abt 2 weeks prior to this happening

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like a speed sensor problem in the gearbox but it will need Star to read it to be certain.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom