Vibration Noise ML 270 Cdi

cozmo1589

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI in Black
Hi, i have a 2002 50k mile ML. Have noticed recently a noise in the back. I can only describe it as an ill fitting door lock vibrating while the vehicle is in motion or loose luggage compartment pull out cover? I have removed all bits n bobs from the two storage compartments in the tail gate, removed the luggage compartment cover assembly, checked the door catch is tight and the door does not move at all when shut & locked. The noise is still there. I can only describe it as coming from the lower left hand side of the rear tailgate or near to LHS rear light cluster area? I have removed the covers that hide the jack and the lhs one that allows you into behind the fuel filler assembly, in either i cannot see anything loose.

Please help its driving me bonkers!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
often such noises turn out to be coming from the suspension. why are you sure it is in the car rather than under it? could be a roll bar link or ball joint...

OP
cozmo1589

cozmo1589

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI in Black
often such noises turn out to be coming from the suspension. why are you sure it is in the car rather than under it? could be a roll bar link or ball joint...

MMmmm fair enough i suppose ill check it out but when i ask someone when in the back to see if they can spot where the noise is coming from they all point to same area within the cars rear but thanks ill have a good look and see what i can find.

Anyone else got any ideas or experienced this themselves on their own ML??

Jdokal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
SNAP! I have noises coming from the rear!

I recently noticed the link rod from the ARB to the lower control arm was missing.

I replaced this and it improved.

There is still a noise.

I may check the other rubber bushes on the control arms.

I think it could be the lower ball joints.

I have noticed that when I ever I travel over the slightest rough road surface I hear noises in the rear.

If the road has just been laid or I am on a motorway/ A-road it is fine.

Jdokal

OP
cozmo1589

cozmo1589

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI in Black
well ill definitely get underneath and have a look but its weird why my noise appears to be coming from inside, it really doesn't sound like something from underneath, more like a loose trim rattle is best way to describe it.....

Jdokal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Check the trim panels under the middle row of seats.

OP
cozmo1589

cozmo1589

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI in Black
Thanks very much your a diamond!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the trim panels under the middle row of seats.

Well Jdokal, your advise re checking the panels that are attached to the middle row of seats was exactly the advise i was after. Once removed the rattle noise disappeared.
Nice one mate, id have never thought of trying to look there to solve the problem.
When looking at the boot area the noise would just travel back and bounce back off the rear door making me in the front think that the rear door area was where the problem originated from.
All the best,
Colin...............

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom