Views upon ECU remapping and brabus chip

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I agree, but also the peace of mind if something goes pop
David, the point stumpy is making is that the Brabus option is the only one where you would retain the MB warranty (if you comply with their T&C).

.... may be the closure of Pandora's box is insight!
Wouldn't that be nice. :)

N

npuk

No, sorry we may havr crossed our wires. The remapping company is taking the warranty. The dealer has stated if the remap has a direct effect upon the engine it will be to blame and the tuning warranty will then come into play...

Who told you this the dealer? No mention on GCLs website of them taking over / offering any warranty on your engine if you get a remap from them that I can see.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I belive there t&c's are on there web site
We've been here before.
GCL website; said:
Will Remapping affect my warranty?

A remap will void your warranty, however the remap is invisible and very hard to detect. Although a remap would void your warranty it actually shouldn't irrespective of what the manufacturer might try to claim.
There it is. Will void your warranty. The mention of the map being hard to detect (which it isn't if someone goes looking for it) smacks of hiding it from dealers and the manufacturer. Not nice. Whether it should or shouldn't void your warranty is irrelevant to the customer. As things stand, it does. What they're suggesting is that you might have a basis for an argument in the event of a mishap but I'd bet your pension that it'll be you who'll have to argue, not them.

There follows a weak argument on European law which to my mind does not apply in this case.
This is covered by competition law (SEE BELOW)

The argument is that any modification that you make to a vehicle will affect the warranty this would include, phone kits, trackers, body and wheel mods. However we are not modifying the vehicle but simply replacing one part with another which has exactly the same safety features to protect your engine as the original.
In addition our files are written to meet the German TUV standards, these standards are some of the toughest in the world.

The modified file is then TUV approved, which means it is ready to be installed back on to your vehicles ECU.
They keep mentioning the TÜV approval which again IMHO means nothing to the customer. I will need some convincing also on the claim that each file is individually approved by some bloke in Germany. The TÜV organisation doesn't work like that. What I can believe is that the files are written to TÜV standards as they mention on the site but that's quite a bit different from claiming that your individual file has been checked and signed off for your car.
I don't see anything in a way of a statement by GCL that they will replace the manufacturers warranty but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

If you search this site, there's a lengthy debate from a while back and all of the above (and more) is covered in there.
The Brabus option is expensive not just for the name but also because it retains the MB warranty (for a while). If 'tuners' like GCL offered the same product don't you think they'd charge a lot more? The upgrade to your engine may be similar, it's what happens when it all goes wrong that matters.

Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting that you don't get a remap, just that you need to do your homework and go into it with your eyes wide open. The aftermarket tuning industry is full of smoke and mirrors and you need to see past that for your own protection.
Here endeth the sermon. :)

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
mercedes CLS 320CDI , landrover discovery 3.0 twin turbo and Ferrari F430 Scud
Remapping and Warranty (Mercedes ML 350 CDI)

Evening all,

NEWS just in

I have spoken to both my mercedes dealer and GCL tuning managing director (both at my dealer) My dealer say my warranty will not be invalid for as long as the remap is not at fault for instance the turbo would not be coverd due to increased boost pressure from the remap however im assured gcl will cover providing the remap provides incresed boost pressure from the turbo. Ive a meeting in the morning to "demo" the gcl tuning remapping and the brabus chip gcl are going to provide me the insurace document that will back up there claims with a full list of items included under this policy.

I now feel a little better about the matter now, however until i have seen this policy im not convinced after all the "proof is in the pudding"

I would just like to thank members for there input into this issue. I would have just gone ahead and maybe caused more hassel than it was worth.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Good work David!! ......... the horses mouth is a good place to be !!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
... gcl are going to provide me the insurace document that will back up there claims with a full list of items included under this policy.
Sounds like you're good to go then. Enjoy and keep us updated. :)

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
Evening all,

NEWS just in

My dealer say my warranty will not be invalid for as long as the remap is not at fault for instance the turbo would not be coverd due to increased boost pressure from the remap however im assured gcl will cover providing the remap

That means all of the engine and fuel sytem as well as all of the transmission is not covered. Should be OK though if your park sensors or electric windows stop working.

The reasoning used by GCL to support the idea that the manufacturer’s warranty isn’t voided is that the Block Exemption Rules state that parts can be replaced by equivalent non manufacturer parts without affecting the warranty. They quote:

‘Where parts used are of the same specifications and production standards as those used by the Vehicle Assemblers. (A remap file is read and written to the ECU in exactly the same way as it is done by the manufacturer. )’

The trouble with this is, of course, it’s not the same spec. It behaves differently. If it was the same spec you wouldn’t get more power and you certainly wouldn’t pay for it. The fact that it’s read and written in the same way is completely irrelevant.

They even say it’s not the same spec:

‘…….and can be loaded back to the ECU if you require the car back to Original specifications at any given time.’

The TUV stuff is also irrelevant. All the TUV certification means is that the work is done in conformance to specified standards. In no way at all does it mean that it won’t damage your car or invalidate your warranty.

With the sort of nonsense that have on their site I wouldn’t trust this lot further than I can throw an ML350.

Read whatever warranty they give you very, very carefully.

Are they really offering to cover everything that MB are going to refuse to cover without argument?

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Why not just buy an ML AMG 55 ?? or whatever the ML equivetant is.

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Just read on there:
11 days until 20 % OFF Offer Ends Book Today !
which is nice until you read:
The warranty/insurance is not available in conjunction with any promotional discount in force at the time of purchase. You can opt for promotional offer or warranty but not both.
Hmm, not so nice then. The other thing I noticed is that they will only provide a warranty if you have a manufacturers warranty in place (Edit: just realised you would have), if you haven't then you're limited to a warranty on the software. Do read the small print and ask lots of questions and if the opportunity arises, I'd be interested to hear more on their TÜV claims.

Edit: I've just read your original post again and realised you haven't actually bought the car yet. I know it's blasphemy on here but in your position I'd get the X6 with the 35d engine. :cool: Not that I'll ever be lucky enough to have to decide. :(

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
Im set on the the ML now, to much time lost in looking and messing around. Regarding the warranty or offer i was made aware of this (it must be to cover warrty cost's) i can pay the extra to have the warranty also.

In a way this makes me feel a little better (i think ?) but im still wanting to see it in the flesh.

I will be back online this afternoon with a test drive and documentation under my belt.

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
I've just had a quick look at the Ts and Cs. First comment is that they are riddled with spelling and grammatical errors which I'm afraid, makes me think they haven't been written by an appropriate person.

One set of words that I'm struggling to understand is:

''Our “Warranty” has been designed to ensure that you receive protection against unexpected repair bills in the event that your current manufacturer’s warranty fails to cover your vehicle and only if the manufacture warranty fails GCL Tuning will not be held accountable for any such claim if this method has not be implemented or correct.
This Warranty applies only in the event that your Manufacturer’s Warranty does not respond.''

The word the worries me is 'correct'. I wonder if what they are saying is that if MB fail to fix your transmission then that is not 'correct' because of the rather silly argument they have on their site about Block Exemption rules and specifications?

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
Right chaps another update.

My experience with both GCL Tuning remap and Mercedes Brabus Chip, today has been some what of an event.

First up - Brabus.

Under acceleration this Brabus unit is delightful all of a sudden you are creeping up the rev counter and changing up a gear to say there was no extra power would be an under statement the thing that get me is there is a large lag before you get what you want also the power becomes less apparent in the upper rev's (3500 on) now i know a diesel has short power bands but you realy notice the lack of pull compared to the remap.Gear changes seem to be unaffected mid range power just gives you that little grin.

GCL Tuning - Remap

Right, after 1 hour of waiting around for the chap to create the "map" i was a little frustrated however this is a different ball game from the word go smooth take off a lot more torque lower in the revs as well as the upper rev range unlike the Brabus unit this just keeps launching you all the way the the red line ! the lag is still there but a little more reduced. Now the major difference is the gear change at full throttle the change feels more agressive and race like, at normal throttle (30 - 50 % ) it becomes smooth and gentle (Im told this can be changed for one or the other).

Regarding the Warranty issues "she" has just put dinner on the table so i will return with a full stomach and all will be revealed.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Flipping heck, who needs a cliffhanger? :mad:

If you don't want lag, get the twin turbo X6 35d. Sorry, have I mentioned that one before? :D

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
I seems ive been where no mercedes owner has been. Worth the wait,

The good news is i can stick to plan A, and get the remap.

Now then let's get down to the good stuff.

Ive now seen the documentation the proof was in the pudding. Plan and simple the warranty will cover every part the remap can potentially cause damage to. The process - I would have to take it to mercedes to see there diagnosis if they pay out thay pay out.If not GCL Tuning will step in and get it covered under there policy. Any part that is classed as ware and tear is not covered. Every thing in relation to engine & engine management is. GCL in my view have gone the extra mile to help me out ( I think it more to prove a point as i stated i was a forum member) But there we are. I will have the full ins and outs sent to me shortly and will post them up.

Now ive just got to wait to pick the damm thing up !

Retired

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GL 420CDI
'Course if you want a MB M class that goes better than a 350 get a 420. peach of an engine and warranty / insurance issues go away.

It'a 4 litre v8, it goes well in my GL, the ML will be even quicker.

Power is 306hp and torque 700nm. Suspect the Brabus / remap solution doesn't get to those numbers.

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
Road Hogg - The X6 is shocking. Did you not see clarkson ! Only jesting i personaly am not a BMW fan. Its trying to live upto to many names, Its not a supercar its not a 4x4 ?

Ive the disco for the mud and to enter another time zone the F430. Now the ML is the wife "PIMP" wagon or so the kids would refer to as.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom