Vito 108D Smoking

MRowe

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1998 Vito 108D with a rebuilt engine. I had a timing chain issue so had the head and pistons replaced.

I've being driving the van for about a week now but when i started it up 2 days ago ( morning start ) it started ok but after about 2 mins of driving the engine just started roaring and pumping smoke from the exhaust, i tried to stop the engine with the key but no luck so had to stop it with the clutch.

It started ok again and was smokey for about 10 mins but drove with no probs or smoke for a few days but alas it happened again today, just like the previous time it was the first start this morning and again after a few mins it started smoking and roaring engine and again after 10 mins it was running fine again.

Does anybody know what could be causing this and is it serious ???.

Could it be a throttle cable, water in diesel, too much oil in the engine or something more serious.

Smoke looks more white than blue but smells of oil burning ( i think )

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers....

Mick

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Hi,

I have a 1998 Vito 108D with a rebuilt engine. I had a timing chain issue so had the head and pistons replaced.

I've being driving the van for about a week now but when i started it up 2 days ago ( morning start ) it started ok but after about 2 mins of driving the engine just started roaring and pumping smoke from the exhaust, i tried to stop the engine with the key but no luck so had to stop it with the clutch.

It started ok again and was smokey for about 10 mins but drove with no probs or smoke for a few days but alas it happened again today, just like the previous time it was the first start this morning and again after a few mins it started smoking and roaring engine and again after 10 mins it was running fine again.

Does anybody know what could be causing this and is it serious ???.

Could it be a throttle cable, water in diesel, too much oil in the engine or something more serious.

Smoke looks more white than blue but smells of oil burning ( i think )

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers....

Mick

I would hazard a guess and say it has been over filled with oil ,have you checked the engine oil level , another possibility is that the valve stem seals are letting by oil and filling the top of the pistons with engine oil particularly if it's stood idle say overnight and the oil in top of the cylinder head has drained down on top of the pistons via the valve stem seals . I would not continue driving it till you get it diagnosed as serious damage to the engine could result .

Top Bottom